Voter turnout doubles after Voter ID enforced in Texas

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
So much for the notion that voter ID suppresses the vote.

In one county, the Hispanic vote quadrupled versus the last off-year election (which usually only deals with local elections and statewide ballot initiatives).

Guess they didn't have as much trouble getting a drivers license or state issued ID as many people claimed, even in Texas with its mostly rural populations...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/13/voter-turnout-in-texas-nearly-doubles-under-new-id-law/

I'm not seeing the direct corollary here?

I'm not in TX, but is it possible that this year's measures were "hot button" ones that would bring out more voters than normal?

Maybe there's a Get Out The Vote-type program underway in the Hispanic community, and this is the result?

Maybe it's just a coincidence...

P.S. High turnout is always a good thing...

eolesen said:
So much for the notion that voter ID suppresses the vote.In one county, the Hispanic vote quadrupled versus the last off-year election (which usually only deals with local elections and statewide ballot initiatives).Guess they didn't have as much trouble getting a drivers license or state issued ID as many people claimed, even in Texas with its mostly rural populations...http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/13/voter-turnout-in-texas-nearly-doubles-under-new-id-law/
The article did not say "The Hispanic vote" quadrupled. Nice strawman article by the daily caller.

Read the article and look at the actual numbers from the state and county without the spin and one will come to a different conclusion.

The site will not let me cut/paste from my ipad. Read the way the numbers are portrayed in the article. It is a typical headline jogging hit peice.

And E, before you jump on me, I know that folks like Maddow, Sharpton, et al, do the same thing.

Glenn Quagmire said:
The article did not say "The Hispanic vote" quadrupled. Nice strawman article by the daily caller.

Read the article and look at the actual numbers from the state and county without the spin and one will come to a different conclusion.

The site will not let me cut/paste from my ipad. Read the way the numbers are portrayed in the article. It is a typical headline jogging hit peice.

And E, before you jump on me, I know that folks like Maddow, Sharpton, et al, do the same thing.

This one does.....CNN Quags....Not Faux Newz

Democrats allege that voter ID will suppress the vote in predominantly Hispanic regions. Hidalgo County sits on the Texas-Mexico border and is 90% Hispanic. In 2011, an average of just over 4,000 voted in the constitutional amendment election. In 2013, an average of over 16,000 voted.
If voter ID was intended to suppress votes, it is failing as spectacularly as HealthCare.gov.
Look at Cameron County, which is about 85% Hispanic. Turnout increased from an average of 4,700 votes in 2011 to 5,100 in 2013.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/12/opinion/preston-texas-id-laws/

The point isn't that the vote went up:  the point is that the vote didn't go down.

Voter ID opponents have consistently claimed that requiring the state issued ID would disproportionately disenfranchises low-income minorities.

Yet there are two predominantly Hispanic counties with higher results 2013 vs 2011.  Cameron County is where Harlingen and Brownsville are, and like Hidalgo, right on the border.

I wouldn't call either being a drive-by statistic, and while I admit that one state's off-year election doesn't necessarily indicate a national trend, if it does work out this way in 2014, you'd think some Dem's might be kicking themselves for not supporting the concept earlier.

Latest posts