Was ending the 757 program a mistake for Boeing?

The Brits are the butt of a lot of jokes. They don't make computers because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.  Lucas Electrical, the prince of darkness.  Etc, etc. 

One thing they can do, and do well, is make jet engines.

delldude said:

Saw a few cowboys do max angle climb.....was cool as hell.....you're figuring he's gonna stall it but never happens.

Left PHL headed south in a 757 just after sunset.  Oddly, Washington Center gave us a climb right to 40,000.  Watched the sun rise in the west that night thanks to the 757 climb performance (and we weren't even trying.)

777 fixer said:

Anyone, pilot or passenger, who has flown out of airports like SNA appreciates the power the 757 has.  Especially if it has RB211 attached to the wings.

Airports like SNA, LGA and DCA with short runways shouldn't be used for trancon flights in the first place.

I don't think most passengers appreciate anything technical.

traderjake said:

Airports like SNA, LGA and DCA with short runways shouldn't be used for trancon flights in the first place.

I don't think most passengers appreciate anything technical.

Most of the 757 flights out of SNA were to places like DFW and ORD.  AA briefly tried SNA-JFK but that did not last.

Even if the flight was SNA-SFO they still had to do a noise abatement climb.  Which means yanking the yoke back and then chopping throttles back near the top of the climb

delldude said:

As Lead Mech, help two guys pull out aft lavs then watch them eat lunch in the same area w/o washing hands.

Anytime I did any lav work I always would grab a spray bottle full of IPA.  And yes I've seen guys do lav work and not bother to wash their hands.  Knew of one guy who would eat his lunch with fingers stained blue.

777 fixer said:

Most of the 757 flights out of SNA were to places like DFW and ORD.  AA briefly tried SNA-JFK but that did not last.

Even if the flight was SNA-SFO they still had to do a noise abatement climb.  Which means yanking the yoke back and then chopping throttles back near the top of the climb

At any other airport in the country, using the SNA procedures on takeoff would result in an emergency revocation of the pilot's license by the FAA.

Reactions: 1 person
nycbusdriver said:

At any other airport in the country, using the SNA procedures on takeoff would result in an emergency revocation of the pilot's license by the FAA.

When MCAS El Toroclosed there was a push to make it an international airport and replace SNA.  However that never came to fruition.  People living around the old El Toro base had a fit.  Having a lot of disposable income probably helped too.