US Airways Orders Blended Winglets For Seven Boeing 757-200 Aircraft

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
SEATTLE, Nov. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- US Airways has ordered Blended Winglets for seven Boeing 757-200 airplanes, for retrofit beginning in January 2007. The aircraft to be Performance Enhanced with Aviation Partners Boeing revolutionary patented Blended Winglet Technology will be utilized on scheduled ETOPS service between the US East Coast and Europe.

"Performance advantages of Blended Winglet Technology for the Boeing 757- 200 are as compelling and dramatic as the fuel saving benefits," says Aviation Partners Boeing CEO John Reimers. "Blended Winglets will give US Airways additional range and fuel margin capability over the Atlantic while generating fuel savings fleet wide, of over 200,000 gallons per year per Blended Winglet equipped 757-200. In today's tough airline operating environment Blended Winglet Technology gives operators a compelling edge."

On trans-Atlantic operations to and from Philadelphia, US Airways will benefit from a 200 nautical mile Blended Winglet range boost and projected fuel savings of more than 1,000 gallons per round trip. On potential future operations from Phoenix and Las Vegas to Hawaii, the Blended Winglet advantage translates into significant fuel savings, better performance against headwinds and improved payload capability.

"US Airways can look forward to payload benefits of 2,000 to 10,000 pounds on flights to and from Hawaii from Las Vegas and Phoenix, depending upon headwinds and temperature conditions," says Aviation Partners Boeing Sales Director Christopher Stafford. "Blended Winglet Technology significantly improves aerodynamic efficiency of the wing. A 757-200, upgraded with Blended Winglet Technology, is a better performing and much more efficient aircraft. Combine this performance advantage with a typical payback period of less than 3 years -- based on fuel savings alone -- and it's not hard to see why our 757-200 winglet program has become such an unqualified market success."

Aviation Partners has sold over 2,400 Blended Winglet shipsets with over 1,290 Boeing aircraft now in service with patented* Performance Enhancing Blended Winglet Systems.

This bunch of doodaa's might get it right down the road after all---oops little tippsey after only one "Sauza Gold" margarita.

I bet US 757 ETOPS reg. N200UU, N201UU, N202UW, N203UW, N204UW, N205UW and N206UW will be getting new blended winglets.

I bet a largish reason is the fact that, to install the winglets, they have to realign the wings, engines and tail to the fuselage, reducing those 5 % and 7 % performance decrements I see on some of the older aircraft.

Just sayin'

The cost savings from all the employee group give backs can easily take care of it all. We all are paying for it.

Please explain to me how you can realign a wing?

A wing and its root are structures that cannot be realigned.

The cost savings from all the employee group give backs can easily take care of it all. We all are paying for it.
If the airline only needed $7M to buy and install winglets for these 7 757-200s, I don't think they would have gone to the employees.

Why is it that everytime management makes decisions that are GOOD for the company (like this one, more intl. expansion, aircraft orders), there are still people like you whining?

With a 5.5% decrease in fuel burn the winglets will pay for themselves in less than one year.
The renumbering means that all 200 series tail numbered aircraft are ETOPS. (757,767, and 330's.)