"we are making money in spite of ourselves"

A FEW NOTES FROM THE LABOR ADVISORY MEETING.......

CEO, Douglas Parker started the meeting out saying that we are making money in spite of ourselves. He said financially, we are doing our job but operationally we are not. He feels we are driving away our customers due to the problems with baggage issues, short staffing and misconnections.

But I suppose that crack website team isn't driving any customers away, because that might be Tempe's fault, which just isn't possible.

We also hire folks that have been fired from other airlines.

We can't seem to find any quality new hires. We don't pay enough...

Operationally we're a mess.

I've worked with folks fired from other airlines and most were damned good workers. Worked with one guy that had a job at Southwest and his alarm clock failed to go off one morning in his probation period. They canned him immediately. He is a bag-stackin' fool.

I keep telling you all -- Parker is Franke with a candy coating
It's not like he can wave a magic wand and please everybody all at once. There are so many issues he is trying to solve. I have met the man and personally think he really wants to make this airline a success. Think about it, why wouldn't he? But he can't solve everybody's ills all at once. I was in Charlotte a few weeks ago and waited for 10 minutes to talk to him while a pilot was ripping into him without taking a breath. Every time DP tried to answer him the pilot interupted before he could even finish his sentence. Give the guy a break, he's got alot of problems to fix and its not going to happen overnight, at least he's better than Wolfe!

Question: How do you fix the airline?

Answer: Pay fair wage. Give back what you took and let us take care of the problems with some pride. Until then,
It's just my JOB nothing else no extra not even a smile.

I've worked with folks fired from other airlines and most were damned good workers. Worked with one guy that had a job at Southwest and his alarm clock failed to go off one morning in his probation period. They canned him immediately. He is a bag-stackin' fool.

The ones we hire constantly no-show for work on scheduled days. They do day trades and never show up. Transportation to work is a problem. There had to be a reason they were fired. Pretty soon there will be only those fired-rehired USAir..ways employees left. Everybody else is looking for other employment.

Doc,

I can understand that emotion. But when you do what you're doing you only hurt YOU. Please find something that makes you look forward to going to work.
You'll be happier and live longer. Be Safe.

sky high states: DONT LET YOUR SPIRIT DIE 8 HOURS EVERYDAY.

only stating opinions.

sky high states: DONT LET YOUR SPIRIT DIE 8 HOURS EVERYDAY.
only stating opinions.

As a furloughed ramper that's been away from U for 16 months I try like _ell to have fun at my new job but somehow at the end its just a job. I really identify with the notion of being miserable during work hours but I just think that that's the reality of todays work place; the employee is nothing more than an accounting unit, not a real person in the eyes of management. I'm slowly giving up the notion of having fun at work like I did at Piedmont and for some years at Airways...Best of luck to my furloughed brothers and sister...JR

Question: How do you fix the airline?

Answer: Pay fair wage. Give back what you took and let us take care of the problems with some pride. Until then,
It's just my JOB nothing else no extra not even a smile.
Pay a fair wage - Give back what you took. Which do you want? The fares are not coming back to support past wages. Bringing back pre-BK wages with post-BK revenue structure is unsustainable. That's the cruel reality of the airline business today. Want more money? Figure out how to be more productive (a la WN), because the big truck with the dollar sign on the side ain't stopping by here any time soon.

Want to point the figure at management pay and bonuses? Suppose they got $50 million more IN CASH than they deserved. That evenly split among 35,000 employees averages about $0.72/hr and we all know that the money is not evenly split. Stock? Well how many people aren't aware of what stock is worth if the company flops?

So all the howling about management "theft" might only get you $0.72/hr. You'll have to figure out where to come up with the rest.

One example of the stark differences in what was and what is.

If pilots got snapbacks to pre bankruptcy pay that would cost 2 Billion

Billion with a B.

I understand that not all pilots want that. Yet I am amazed at the number who steadfastly believe that it is possible.

I do not think it unreasonable for a customer to go on line and check fares using the internet without having to delete cookies! What's next??? De Frag the hard drive prior to using the site??

Bob, that was priceless...literally! Sad but I couldn't help but :lol:

One a good note, I had to make an emergency trip to SRQ from ABQ and the service from everyone was top notch. Course I didn't have to use the website as I used a ticket I purchased before I left the company. US and AWA folks are the best!.

One example of the stark differences in what was and what is.

If pilots got snapbacks to pre bankruptcy pay that would cost 2 Billion

Billion with a B.

I understand that not all pilots want that. Yet I am amazed at the number who steadfastly believe that it is possible.

If its in the contract then it should be honored.

Pay a fair wage - Give back what you took. Which do you want? The fares are not coming back to support past wages. Bringing back pre-BK wages with post-BK revenue structure is unsustainable. That's the cruel reality of the airline business today. Want more money? Figure out how to be more productive (a la WN), because the big truck with the dollar sign on the side ain't stopping by here any time soon.

Want to point the figure at management pay and bonuses? Suppose they got $50 million more IN CASH than they deserved. That evenly split among 35,000 employees averages about $0.72/hr and we all know that the money is not evenly split. Stock? Well how many people aren't aware of what stock is worth if the company flops?

So all the howling about management "theft" might only get you $0.72/hr. You'll have to figure out where to come up with the rest.

Post-BK revenue structure?! I'm sorry, I don't get it. We now have half the facilities, people, aircraft,etc.. Everything has been cut deep. Everything is on the cheap. Everything has been maximized for efficiency or economy. Everything possible and more has been vendored or contracted out. Even on MERLIN when you check the cost of a stocked item they are actually purchased for a reasonable price. ( I did notice that happened the week after merger....) Actual (real) merger costs aside, we are PRINTING money. We have more revenue than ever. At a lower cost. Where is all the extra money going? To the investors that put the two airlines together, I assume. When the time comes that it cannot sustain such high levels of return for them, they will dump it wholesale and move on. We think we are still in the airline business, we're not. We're in the money business, we just happen to be at the dirty end of the food chain.

InFlight has IMO always been top notch with few exceptions. It's the behind the scenes where the company falls apart,

I can't speak to the East, but prior to the merger the maintenace side of the house IMO was in as good an order that I've seen for a big maintnenace operation. True the mechanics were still waiting for a contract and weren't real happy about the dragging feet, but in retrospec the dragging feet was probably influenced by merger plans in the works. With AC departing, one can only hope a good Westie will take the helm. Scott Kirby has to be just a temporary appointment and from what I've heard it may be difficult to find a Westie to take the job. At any rate it shouldn't be anyone from the East that East labor doesn't trust.