What A F/a Does

Dea Certe

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Pitbull,

I saw really nice poem on the crew AFA board in PIT about what a flight attendants does. I believe it was written by a U f/a. Could you post it here? It's worth reading. I want to make a copy of it the next time I go to work. It really tells it like it is.

I wonder what the rate of injury is for flight attendants. We are subject to ergonomically unsound work conditions in almost every galley. Then there's the unusual usual turbulence, drunken violent pax along with exposure to I don't even want to know what! And then there's cosmic radiation.

We get zero support from management following pax incidents.

BTW, I believe another poster Tom Bascom had requested to be referred to as a customer instead of a pax. I really thought long and hard about it, about why it didn't seem quite right to me. I think I've figured it out:

A customer is who the company is responsible for. I guess I feel like I have a certain extra responsibility for my passengers. They are entrusted to me. Of course I see to their comfort and safety. But it's MY responsibility to CARE for them. Heart attack, stroke, air sickness, sinus/ear pain or other health emergency. Also, soothe their concerns, help them with connections when we are late, that sort of thing.

But, my passengers also have responsibilities. They may have to help me evacuate an airplane. They might have to get me out, should I be injured. That gives us a bond that goes beyond customer and, in my eyes, *promotes* them to passenger. Many times I've had my pax rise to the occasion when I've needed assistance, even if it's just to put a rude, obnoxious sort in check. And yes, I do feel affection for the people in my care.

So, please don't be offended to be called passenger by the flight attendants. It should be a title of respect. That's the way I see it.

Dea Your co-pax

Dea Certe said:
BTW, I believe another poster .....had requested to be referred to as a customer instead of a pax. I really thought long and hard about it, about why it didn't seem quite right to me. I think I've figured it out:

A customer is who the company is responsible for. I guess I feel like I have a certain extra responsibility for my passengers. They are entrusted to me. Of course I see to their comfort and safety. But it's MY responsibility to CARE for them. Heart attack, stroke, air sickness, sinus/ear pain or other health emergency. Also, soothe their concerns, help them with connections when we are late, that sort of thing.

But, my passengers also have responsibilities. They may have to help me evacuate an airplane. They might have to get me out, should I be injured. That gives us a bond that goes beyond customer and, in my eyes, *promotes* them to passenger. Many times I've had my pax rise to the occasion when I've needed assistance, even if it's just to put a rude, obnoxious sort in check. And yes, I do feel affection for the people in my care.
Dea-

Here, here (or is it hear, hear)! I couldn't agree more. I know it might be hard to believe, but I'm sure that there are VFF who do NOT desire the hyper-interpersonal, doting 'customer service.' Frankly, as a not so very FF, I find it creepy. I find your attitude much more appealling. I want FA's to be task oriented and not relationship oriented.

I particularly want them to be task oriented these days.

But then, that's just my personality. Not all FF's want to be made to feel like part of the airline 'family.' Maybe alot of FF's are salespersons and consultants whose jobs are more about relationships than principles, so maybe I'm wrong to advise a more reserved service. So, don't go by me.

Also, since I grew up as a pass rider, who as a child, was doted over by FA's (in a different era in the airline industry... and I was irresistibly cute), maybe I feel enfantalized by that kind of attention on an airplane.

I don't need to be 'pitched' on an airplane. Just be safe and keep the plane clean for me and the next pax! Of course, there's almost no way to tell when you get a pax like me, so this advice may be meaningless.

Dea Certe said:
Pitbull,

I saw really nice poem on the crew AFA board in PIT about what a flight attendants does. I believe it was written by a U f/a. Could you post it here? It's worth reading. I want to make a copy of it the next time I go to work. It really tells it like it is.

I wonder what the rate of injury is for flight attendants. We are subject to ergonomically unsound work conditions in almost every galley. Then there's the unusual usual turbulence, drunken violent pax along with exposure to I don't even want to know what! And then there's cosmic radiation.

We get zero support from management following pax incidents.

BTW, I believe another poster Tom Bascom had requested to be referred to as a customer instead of a pax. I really thought long and hard about it, about why it didn't seem quite right to me. I think I've figured it out:

So, please don't be offended to be called passenger by the flight attendants. It should be a title of respect. That's the way I see it.

Dea Your co-pax
Dea makes some excellent points. She's also right that I've often drawn attention to this. Put as Dea puts it and coming from her I wouldn't mind being viewed as a passenger -- I might even feel special ;)

Unfortunately you don't all use the term "pax" in such a benign manner. From a lot of you it comes off as a belittling term that essentially says we're little more than live baggage. And that's wrong. When you do that you're playing the game that you accuse Dave and Dave of.

I don't personally care for the touchie feelie stuff. It startles me when a flight attendant uses my name. Or makes note of my CP status. For the most part I just want to get in my seat, read a book or do some work, sip on a cranapple & (green) lime and maybe enjoy a snack or the meal. And get to where I'm going. I don't mind a little light chat now and again and I'm happy to help out if a flight attendant thinks I can do something or if I see a need. As a customer I just want to be treated fairly and dealt with honestly. As a passenger Dea hit the nail on the head.

Dea -

You are such a sweetie and what a great prospective on terms we use. I have always viewed the terms passenger and customer in the same light as the terms Stewardess and Flight Attendant. When you've been in the industry a while, like we have, you continue to use the term passenger instead of the politically correct term customer. It is a hard habbit to break. You mentally have force yourself to use the appropriate terminology. Same goes for the great customers that still refer to our Flight Attendants as Stewards and Stewardesses. They don't mean any harm or offense, they just didn't remember to use the politically correct term. :D

Thanks Dea, for a great post and such a postive customer explanation. You are the best!

Another fan of Dea here. She makes so much sense, I always enjoy her posts. I wish I knew if I'd seen her on one of my flights, or if I ever will. Too bad management doesn't have an advisory board made up of such great employees (or do they?).

Add me to the list of DEA fans. Dea, thanks for such an excellent post. It's greatly appreciated. I can't wait to be on one of your flights.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether you call me a passenger or a customer--to be truthful I am both. I greatly appreciate the wonderful flight crews with whom I have flown, and can understand the 1 or 2% who are having a bad day or just not into it any more. I stress, however, that if I have met 3 of those in the past year, that's alot.

I am always happy to be of assistance to employees or flight crew members if the need arises-whether in an exit row, or answering simple questions during involuntary reroutes, cancellations, etc. I regularly help people get where they're going in PHL (since I practically live there), or explain strange noises in DH8's to infrequent fliers.

As I sit here in ROC wondering if I am getting home tonight, I just want to restate my position that you folks on the front lines are the best in the business, and it is YOU who have earned my loyalty and admiration.

Just my 2C.

Folks,

Thanks for your insights. I was worried I was caught up in a time warp like Grandma when she calls the fridge an "ice box".

I don't mind being called a stewardess. That's what I got hired as, went through Stewardess School, reported to the Chief Stewardess in the Stew Dept. Times do change and one of the things I am really hating is the Corporate Attitude towards its customers and employees. On that point, we all agree it seems.

That's a whole different thread, isn't it?

Please do know that I will always regard those in my care with respect; something this management appears to not understand. It is a shame we don't have a Customer Advocacy program. I am hoping the Cockroaches will bring enough pressure with their letters and phone calls to correct this.

We all deserve better than we've been getting from Dave and Ben.

Dea