What does "BIG RED's" future ($$$) hold.

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
FIRST OFF, let me say that I mourn the loss of ANY NW worker who has lost his/her job, because of Layoff or Strike !!!!!

AND I WORSHIP the "Ground" that DOUG has coming to him !!!!

Having said that; What is the future/viability for BIG RED, going forward ??

The financial GURU's feel that NW(after leaving BK)long term future looks healthy.

With a route system, challenged by virtually no one, I'm inclined to agree.

The fleet is getting younger by the day, with young a/c like the 757-300's/A-330's and the 787's (coming YEARS ahead of anyone else !)

MSP/Egan has contract carriers climbing "all over themselves" pleading with NW, to allow them to fly the regional routes for peanuts.

I WAS a strong believer that NW would be acquired for the Asian routes. I NO longer think that will happen, because I honestly believe that DOUG and the BOD's WANT to keep operating this airline as a SEPERATE entity.

(One thing that I (as an AA retiree) AM watching very closely though, is what does AA do, if it does'nt get into China VERY soon) Nonetheless I feel that NW "is'nt in the market" to SELL.

A GOOD indicator is how WN avoids MSP("like the Plauge")(SP?) and to a lesser exstent DTW.(WN does have ATA in MSP).

???????????

NH/BB's

FIRST OFF, let me say that I mourn the loss of ANY NW worker who has lost his/her job, because of Layoff or Strike !!!!!

AND I WORSHIP the "Ground" that DOUG has coming to him !!!!
Having said that; What is the future/viability for BIG RED, going forward ??

The financial GURU's feel that NW(after leaving BK)long term future looks healthy.

With a route system, challenged by virtually no one, I'm inclined to agree.

The fleet is getting younger by the day, with young a/c like the 757-300's/A-330's and the 787's (coming YEARS ahead of anyone else !)

MSP/Egan has contract carriers climbing "all over themselves" pleading with NW, to allow them to fly the regional routes for peanuts.

I WAS a strong believer that NW would be acquired for the Asian routes. I NO longer think that will happen, because I honestly believe that DOUG and the BOD's WANT to keep operating this airline as a SEPERATE entity.

(One thing that I (as an AA retiree) AM watching very closely though, is what does AA do, if it does'nt get into China VERY soon) Nonetheless I feel that NW "is'nt in the market" to SELL.

A GOOD indicator is how WN avoids MSP("like the Plauge")(SP?) and to a lesser exstent DTW.(WN does have ATA in MSP).
???????????

NH/BB's

NHBB

You are probably correct in your assumptions. The only
obstacle that appears to be left is the FA's ratifying
a contract. Even though the company has imposed new wages
and work rules the creditors need a contract that has
been agreed to. Eventually the 30 day cooling off period
will be granted and NW still cannot survive any shutdown
for a short period of time. However I believe in the long
run the flight attendant group will sign off on something.

The outsourcing of agents and ese's have begun and this
probably will not matter to most customers. As long as
they get from point A to point B they could care less
who checks them in and loads their bags.

As a former agent I can verify this. A majority of pax
check in online now so once they get to the airports it
is only to board an aircraft. The only time they will
notice the difference is when irregular ops occur and
the new staff will be a lot slower in reacommodating to
new flights.

As for Dougie he will eventually be gone but the BOD will
very willing to help him leave with a little extra
something in his wallet.

I think in the near future a company will have to adapt to external enviormental changes in order to be competitive.
If an INVESTOR looking to invest in this company...and compare it to a similar one, I would avoid this airline like a plauge. You can tell a big difference by just flying on a different carrier. It is like you stepped up or something.

First of all, the service product is disgusting. Some similar carriers in the same market has cleaner bathrooms, cleaner seats, friendlier workers and some serve food.

Some airlines create a fun atmosphere where it also attracts customers.

NW is doing a splended job getting their seats filled for minimal $ spent on seats. I just heard the other day some girl talking how she saved $200 dollars on NW instead of something that flies out of Humphery's.... I forgot which carrier. Cheap fares attract the same kind of folks. Piggy folks who trash the place and don't care. Gum is stuck in the seats like the bus.

Somehow I'm seeing that it is become a shell of what it is. It is a death of an Airline.
The planes are not being maintained like it should be. It is looking more and more reminicent of an old carwhere the Dash wasn't being taken care of and it is starting to crumble. I am tired of popping in pannels and banging on the walls to make the lights work.

I think it was poised to have it sold/ bought out but ..... who wants to buy damaged merchandise?

You are right, cheapo people who don't care will want just to get point A to point B and don't care. This is the type of customers that NW wants to attract and they are getting it. Low class people and people who don't have the money to buy somethign with a better service. NW is looking more like Mc Donalds, rather than eating at Houstons.

If you want to attract customers who would like to be served by and english speaking individual in the same country, have a smile from a gate agent or have assurance by a human being then they will go to another carrier who sells this type of service product.
Throughout the years, working at the airports, I noticed various airlines did have different type of customers. We don't notice the differnece since we always just encounter one type but not see how UA customers act like or how DL customers act like, for example.

I think people are going to go back to a service oriented product soon.... the cyclical fad of this sort of thing is comming to the end... just like how gold is comming back into fashion... rather than silver.... so get your gold medalions out like in the 70's....

NHBB

You are probably correct in your assumptions. The only
obstacle that appears to be left is the FA's ratifying
a contract. Even though the company has imposed new wages
and work rules the creditors need a contract that has
been agreed to. Eventually the 30 day cooling off period
will be granted and NW still cannot survive any shutdown
for a short period of time. However I believe in the long
run the flight attendant group will sign off on something.

The outsourcing of agents and ese's have begun and this
probably will not matter to most customers. As long as
they get from point A to point B they could care less
who checks them in and loads their bags.

As a former agent I can verify this. A majority of pax
check in online now so once they get to the airports it
is only to board an aircraft. The only time they will
notice the difference is when irregular ops occur and
the new staff will be a lot slower in reacommodating to
new flights.

As for Dougie he will eventually be gone but the BOD will
very willing to help him leave with a little extra
something in his wallet.

jenny@nw.

I agree with everything you say.

(Sadly) The "GREYHOUND BUS LOOK" is here to stay(domestically) for all carriers.

But as far as long term $$$ viability, I think potential Investers will like what they see.

Most of the Original(outside) AMT SCABS are gone, and NW maintainance is being done by AMFA SCABS. While I DETEST the AMFA SCABS, at least their maintainance ability is such, to keep the fleet safe, and as I understand it, (slowly) More AMFA guys/gals will return to "turning wrenches"

Jenny, my heart ache's for the good NW people who are'nt around any longer, but as much as I HATE to admit it, DOUGIE :down: "pulled off" what I thought to be Impossible.

So for all of you(Including my own flesh and blood) who survived this "WW-3", I'm hoping that NW will be around for a Long time !!...And I think they(and YOU) will.

(Now if I just could solve this "Dilemma" in my "Cabesa" of how AA will get into China SOON(especially if they Don't get this soon to be announced award)(WHICH they very well might not), THEN I could rest a little easier. <_< )

Good Luck to ALL NW employees, going forward(Except AMFA SCABS). You've been through HEL* !!

NH/BB's

NW is doing a splended job getting their seats filled for minimal $ spent on seats. I just heard the other day some girl talking how she saved $200 dollars on NW instead of something that flies out of Humphery's.... I forgot which carrier. Cheap fares attract the same kind of folks. Piggy folks who trash the place and don't care. Gum is stuck in the seats like the bus.

You are right, cheapo people who don't care will want just to get point A to point B and don't care. This is the type of customers that NW wants to attract and they are getting it. Low class people and people who don't have the money to buy somethign with a better service. NW is looking more like Mc Donalds, rather than eating at Houstons.
You must be doing pretty well financially to be able to downgrade people to "low class" because they believe saving $200 is not worth a slightly cleaner seat and a mediocre meal. Would you spend and extra $200 to sit in a an extra clean movie theatre seat that has wait service for popcorn and soda's? It's the same economic decision. It doesn't matter that the baseline cost of those two purchases are vastly different, $200 is $200.

You must be doing pretty well financially to be able to downgrade people to "low class" because they believe saving $200 is not worth a slightly cleaner seat and a mediocre meal. Would you spend and extra $200 to sit in a an extra clean movie theatre seat that has wait service for popcorn and soda's? It's the same economic decision. It doesn't matter that the baseline cost of those two purchases are vastly different, $200 is $200.
:down: what is this? calling me an uppity person?

Why pick at one thing I have stated, then accusing me of being "uppity".

Are we that bored in bldg A?

This we suddenly become an Psychoanalyst from being a financial one? Preforming a character analysis just because I used that ever so harsh wording

"Low Class"

is hardly something to be critical about...all depends on one's definition and what they can refer it to. Now what will you call a person that just trash, steal things and not care? Paris Hilton and Nichole Ritchie?

:lol: I must be doing well? :lol: Just as well as anyone else.

From your long drawn out reply why don't you just use simple layman's terms:

You get what you pay for.

Stop trying to make yourself look smart. WHY DO MEN DO THIS????

Who cares if they can't afford it or they just want to save $. Still all the same and with that in mind what kind of people DO YOU attract on these planes? I'm sure I'll be seeing Warren Buffet in First Class if he wants to save $200 bucks.

:down: what is this? calling me an uppity person?

Why pick at one thing I have stated, then accusing me of being "uppity".

Are we that bored in bldg A?

This we suddenly become an Psychoanalyst from being a financial one? Preforming a character analysis just because I used that ever so harsh wording

"Low Class"

is hardly something to be critical about...all depends on one's definition and what they can refer it to. Now what will you call a person that just trash, steal things and not care? Paris Hilton and Nichole Ritchie?

:lol: I must be doing well? :lol: Just as well as anyone else.
From your long drawn out reply why don't you just use simple layman's terms:
You get what you pay for.
Stop trying to make yourself look smart. WHY DO MEN DO THIS????

Who cares if they can't afford it or they just want to save $. Still all the same and with that in mind what kind of people DO YOU attract on these planes? I'm sure I'll be seeing Warren Buffet in First Class if he wants to save $200 bucks.
I've read it a couple times, and I'm pretty sure there's nothing that makes any sense in that response (It's like a Robbed response except with slightly better spelling and punctuation) I'll just reiterate that yes, it does make you sound uppity to call people that seek out the lowest price for an airline ticket "low class". If not uppity, then just plain ignorant to the obvious price elasticity of the product that we as an airline sell.

As far as your claim that I'm just trying to look smart, that's probably the weakest retort I've heard in a while. It's right up there with "oh yeah, well you're ugly".

Have you ever thought that maybe you're in the wrong type of job? Your disdain for the people that pay your bills is striking.

I've read it a couple times, and I'm pretty sure there's nothing that makes any sense in that response (It's like a Robbed response except with slightly better spelling and punctuation) I'll just reiterate that yes, it does make you sound uppity to call people that seek out the lowest price for an airline ticket "low class". If not uppity, then just plain ignorant to the obvious price elasticity of the product that we as an airline sell.

As far as your claim that I'm just trying to look smart, that's probably the weakest retort I've heard in a while. It's right up there with "oh yeah, well you're ugly".

Have you ever thought that maybe you're in the wrong type of job? Your disdain for the people that pay your bills is striking.
i have a pretty darn good spelling something you dont have.

Your long confusing drawn out paragraph a few statments prior could of just been stated in one sentence.

I believe the statement "trying to look smart" is not a weak retort, rather it is a true statement.

Many people use this ploy in order to confuse people who have less confidence and education by using terminology not utilized in common language.
For me, it is surprising for someone like you in a business enviroment doesn't who doesn't make a habit of making short concrete and concise statements.
I would think from having to compose/construct/read memos after memos this would have happened. But then again, this is Northwest....

Absolutely fascinating. Maybe I just got lazy being on this board where I just don't have to write "perfectly"......But I still love you Finman. We need to go drinking one day.............. B) (like your last statement... :lol: )