What is good customer service?

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
I had a customer service related problem with a well known printer manufacturer for PCs. The specific problem isn't the point, but rather the way it was handled is something all companies would take heed - including USAirways.

I purchased the printer at a certain large computer store chain. I took it home and, after a few days, finally got around to hooking it up. Problem is, the computer wouldn't recognize it. Long story short - I called the customer care line of the printer manufacturer. Within 2 minutes I was talking to a rep who not only spoke clear English, but was able to process my issue quickly and make a decision ON THE SPOT to send a replacement printer OVERNIGHT.

How does this relate to USAirways? How does this relate to any business?
  • The employee I spoke to had the tools they needed to support me and walk through my problem.
  • The employee I spoke to never had to put me on hold or transfer me to another person to handle "step B" or get any kind of authorization.
  • The employee I spoke to was friendly and apologetic for the inconvenience.
  • The employee I spoke to was empowered to fix the problem.
Had this company kept me on hold for 10 minutes, passed me along from one level of support to the next, told me to take it back to the store, or just couldn't figure out the problem with me I would have had a much worse taste in my mouth. At this point I could care less that there was a defect in the product. I'm more pleased that they took immediate steps to resolve it efficiently. As a result, I have no problem buying more products from them in the future.

Are you listening Doug?????

She returns with a GLASS with ice and FOUR, yes 4 mini's, smiles and says, "We have more Honey so relax"
This reminds me of a very, very good F/A named Mario who I had years back on a flight from MAD-PHL in Envoy (when it was still something to be proud of). Mario knew everything about anything that had to do with the <then> impeccable service. What he knew best, however, was how to keep the glass of red wine full - for the entire flight. :) He was friendly, conversational, had anecdotes about everything, and most of all - he was attentive to every one of his passengers' needs for the entire 9 hours we were on board. I hope he made it through the various BKs and furloughs. If so, he should be the one teaching some of those customer service classes.

One of my favs was back when PIT was a hub. Delayed out of OMA, they're holding the plane for me, and I'm huffing and puffing to get there. I get on board and the "A" could tell I was having a not to great day as I throw myself into 2D, she grabs my stuff and throws (and I mean throws it in the closet) and says "Honey you look like you could use a drink", I replied "YES Ma'am, Jack on the rocks please". She returns with a GLASS with ice and FOUR, yes 4 mini's, smiles and says, "We have more Honey so relax"

It's stories like that, that allow me to tolerate the dim bulbs in Tempe and their feeble attempt at playing "Big Airline Executive"

There was mainline service from PIT-OMA? I seem to remember there being an RJ going there at one point but didn't know we had mainline service.

4 minis? What would Tempe say!

I used to always think usair had the best f/as before. I think every airline has good and bad ones. I had a great one once on a Shuttle America propellor plane and then a mean one in Envoy class. I do think to get everyone on board your internal customer service has to be good for your external to be... WN, CO..

Not to drag the thread further off, but there was mainline service to OMA at one point when Buffet had his investment in US. When I flew it, it was an extension of MCI service on the 737-200 (east coast - MCI - OMA - MCI - east coast).

Jim

I read a really good article in the paper today about how the Disney Corp. is training the airline employees in Miami in customer service. Interesting??

It was in the Charlotte paper. Business section.

The Disney Institute has coached thousands of executives and front-line employees and organizations since 1986. Customers have included Delta Airlines, IBM, General Motors, the IRS as well as Philip Morris.

"Many organizations think they're different from Disney, and therefore can't learn from an entertainment or a parks and resorts business," said Bruce Jones, Disney Institute programming director. "But when they get here and work with us a little bit, they find out...these principles and similarities are transferable across industries, across cultures, and across different sizes and shapes of organizations."

The airport's terminal operations employees are taking classes taught by institute instructors, learning leadership practices, team building, staff relations, and communication skills-many formulated by Walt Disney himself.

I think it would be a great idea to send every exec in the company from DP on down to the Disney Institute.

The House of Mouse can teach them the importance of great customer service which is the defining factor in this business.

I had a customer service related problem with a well known printer manufacturer for PCs. The specific problem isn't the point, but rather the way it was handled is something all companies would take heed - including USAirways.

I purchased the printer at a certain large computer store chain. I took it home and, after a few days, finally got around to hooking it up. Problem is, the computer wouldn't recognize it. Long story short - I called the customer care line of the printer manufacturer. Within 2 minutes I was talking to a rep who not only spoke clear English, but was able to process my issue quickly and make a decision ON THE SPOT to send a replacement printer OVERNIGHT.

How does this relate to USAirways? How does this relate to any business?
  • The employee I spoke to had the tools they needed to support me and walk through my problem.
  • The employee I spoke to never had to put me on hold or transfer me to another person to handle "step B" or get any kind of authorization.
  • The employee I spoke to was friendly and apologetic for the inconvenience.
  • The employee I spoke to was empowered to fix the problem.
Had this company kept me on hold for 10 minutes, passed me along from one level of support to the next, told me to take it back to the store, or just couldn't figure out the problem with me I would have had a much worse taste in my mouth. At this point I could care less that there was a defect in the product. I'm more pleased that they took immediate steps to resolve it efficiently. As a result, I have no problem buying more products from them in the future.

Are you listening Doug?????
Once upon a time......I don't know if I was "empowered" as much as I just did the right thing. Used the appropriate codes and documented everything. Figured if I was ever "coached" on it, I would just plead ignorance and promise not to do it again! Never had a problem, but then again, my supervisor was totally cool and knew I knew what to do. Regardless of what the company said I always put customer service as my first priority. Sometimes you just have to say screw the silly rules and accept that if you are called on it, you'll accept the consequences. The lack of customer service was one of the top reasons so many reservations reps left in 2005. Most of us were originally Piedmont where the main focus was on putting the customer first. We were constantly told during training and as new hires, the only thing that will differentiate one carrier from another is HOW YOU TREAT THE PASSENGER.

I too am former Piedmont. We were taught to always put the customer first. We were proud to say we worked for Piedmont.
Going the extra mile was the norm. Funny thing is we were non-union. The pay scale wasn't that great either.
PB.....I was wondering if you ever flew Piedmont.

I too am former Piedmont. We were taught to always put the customer first. We were proud to say we worked for Piedmont.

"Get this. USAir management just told us in a meeting this morning that we do too much for the customer." Winter, 1988 ...A Piedmont CSA AND reliable good friend.

Not to start THAT war over again, but if we want to be honest, the standard of good customer service at USAir was nonexistant until that bought Piedmont. Unfortunately, about 1/4 of that standard made it pass the merger. Gee, I have to give AWA credit. I never thought you could take an already bad company and make it worse. Way to go, Sandbags.

Going the extra mile was the norm. Funny thing is we were non-union. The pay scale wasn't that great either.
PB.....I was wondering if you ever flew Piedmont.

"Get this. USAir management just told us in a meeting this morning that we do too much for the customer." Winter, 1988 ...A Piedmont CSA AND reliable good friend.

Not to start THAT war over again, but if we want to be honest, the standard of good customer service at USAir was nonexistant until that bought Piedmont. Unfortunately, about 1/4 of that standard made it pass the merger. Gee, I have to give AWA credit. I never thought you could take an already bad company and make it worse. Way to go, Sandbags.

Ditto that Hadenough!
Ditto that too LCC_#1 ... Blew my mind when they made that statement. Just like the one where you didn't have to know how to do the job to be the Supervisor..WHAT?. 1989-2005 U management was a Cluster ....