What happened today?

It just MIGHT be the simple fact that people can read. US blows plain and simple. We are not reliable and while on a regular day we may cause you to miss a day at the beach by canceling a flight, nobody wants to be stranded on a holiday. People IMO have booked away for the holiday. I flew the 22nd and have NEVER seen anything like it. Smooth, polite, oh and ON TIME with open seats on every single flight. So much for the big rush of the 22nd. It's noooooo coincidence.

Over the weekend it seemed unusually heavy. I was expecting a real nasty day Wed. Never happened it just seemed like any other day. Usually this past Wed and next Sun are the worst days of the year. We will see after Sun that day will tell the tale.

So far, every day has been lighter than the same day last year:

F 87.5 80.7
S 81.1 80.0
S 75.7 73.9
M 74.1 73.8
T 80.2 76.1
W 79.1 76.0
T 69.2 66.2 T-Day

Jim

Maybe they are learning. After past experience, thru the media or word of mouth.
It is truly bizzare. I am still scared, because it is not a "normal" holiday operation.
I am not complaining. It just makes you wonder, why?
It is my hope that it endures. All I can say is WOW.

People IMO have booked away for the holiday. I flew the 22nd and have NEVER seen anything like it. Smooth, polite, oh and ON TIME with open seats on every single flight. So much for the big rush of the 22nd. It's noooooo coincidence.

Well they didn't book to Southwest based on what I saw on Wednesday. My parents wanted me to come to Phoenix for the holiday, and I told them if they wanted me to come they needed to pay or make the arrangements (all tickets were outrageous from DC-PHX). My father is a freight forwarder and gets a whole bunch of free tickets every year from Southwest if he does more business than the prior year. So I flew BWI-PHX on WN on Wednesday morning on a pass. I was late getting to Union Station...then I had to wait 40 minutes for the next MARC train....then the train was a little behind leaving the station and kept having to slow down. I got to BWI 1 hour and 20 minutes before my flight (was planning for 2+) and you absolutely CANNOT check in online with these tickets because you have to show the special pass to an agent to get a BP. I was freaking out that I was arriving to BWI, flying WN (by far with the largest operation), and had to go through check-in and security with only 1 hour 20 minutes on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. When I walked into the terminal after getting off of the shuttle bus from the train, there was NO line for kiosk check-in and 4 people in front of me for the agent check in. It took about 5 minutes to check in, and then 5 minutes through security. I thought that at the least I was cutting it close for a bank of flights....so everyone else for my bank had already checked in hence the TOTALLY bare terminal....but then I got on the flight and I bet the load for the flight was 75% or slightly less. Several open seats. And they just CUT a BWI-PHX flight.

I just think that 1) The media has blown the whole Thanksgiving travel thing out of proportion and people are avoiding plane travel because of it. And 2) Airlines stretch themselves to a utilization maximum to get in as many flights as possible and with possibly more people driving or avoiding Thanksgiving travel, coupled with more available seats then a typical day, loads just seem much lighter.

Working this Thanksgiving has been like the Twilight Zone. I mean I can't remember so many open seats! Working one coast to coast flight has 100 open and 60 back. A friend flew UAL 767 to the east and said every seat was taken almost. Could our reputation precede us? Oh Tempe, will you start to worry now? Naah. Just stick the head back in the sand.

Working this Thanksgiving has been like the Twilight Zone. I mean I can't remember so many open seats! Working one coast to coast flight has 100 open and 60 back. A friend flew UAL 767 to the east and said every seat was taken almost. Could our reputation precede us? Oh Tempe, will you start to worry now? Naah. Just stick the head back in the sand.
:eek: :eek: I wonder if people, like myself, and many others I know stay far away from US beacuse of it's now horrible reputation. Tempe will NEVER get it- look around does it LOOK like they have a clue? Nada...I'd be very scared if I was a US employee. Sad... a once fairly decent company to work for and fly on - NOW avoid it like the plague.

NAPAUS- After being poked with a stick and put through the ringer of this company for as many years as we have the fear is gone. The sun will still rise the next day. Very few are scared one bit anymore. I have had a gun to my head for too long in 2 Bankruptcies to let this place intimidate me or make me live in fear. If reckless management closes it down I will help them go to Home Depot and board up the jetways. I would rather it succeed but it's seeming like a wish that will never come to fruition.

NAPAUS- After being poked with a stick and put through the ringer of this company for as many years as we have the fear is gone. The sun will still rise the next day. Very few are scared one bit anymore. I have had a gun to my head for too long in 2 Bankruptcies to let this place intimidate me or make me live in fear. If reckless management closes it down I will help them go to Home Depot and board up the jetways. I would rather it succeed but it's seeming like a wish that will never come to fruition.

I could not have said it better. :up:

After working a portion of the Holiday Rush, I can honestly say it was pretty uneventful and stressfree. Had a nice crew over the three day period, didn't have any delays, any dramas or p*ssed off pax. WE didn't STAY at a HOLIDAY INN or pass thru Philadelphia either :lol: . Gate Agents were readily available for ontime boardings and deplanings (Thank You). The Company Dinner was appreciated, but not as good as last years. And this comes from an individual that probably could have bid around the Holiday. (And don't think for a nano second that I drank ANY of the Company Koolaid.......Still not A Fan of the Tempe Crowd.)