What Is Your Favourite Aircraft?

Harrier

Nov 10, 2003
Liverpool
Hey
This is my first topic ive posted, so bare with me, i know what its like when people keep posting te same topic over and over again, so excuse me if this is one of those things. And by the way great site! :D

Ok my favourite aircraft type would have to be the harrier, basically because its like none else, other than the soon to be Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) plus it was the aircraft that made me want to become a pilot. There are many other aircraft types i like, especially the stealth jets but the harrier got my vote.

And for my favourite manufacturer i will have to pick Mig or British Aerospace, Mig because i absolutely adore the 29 or "Fulcrum" (not as much as the harrier of course ;) ) and Briish Aerospace because of the Harrier (i think BaE manufactured that) but not only that the brand new Eurofighter Typhoon and them making almost every military dispaly teams Aircraft the Hawk.

So whats your favourite aircraft and favourite aircraft manufacturer?

Kind Regards
Mark aka. Harrier

My favorite aircraft is the PA18 SuperCub...it is the work horse of General Aviation...Floats, Tundra Tires, Skis - the supercub does it all.
supercub_snowlanding_evans.jpg

As far as manufacturers, I would have to say General Dynamics...they are makers of the F-16 and Gulfstream aircraft - 2 airplanes that lead their class.
G450_in_flight3.jpg

No you are right, the F-15 is / was a MCDonnell Douglas project now owned by Boeing via merger. The F-16 is / was a General Dynamics project, now owned by Lockheed Martin via merger / buyout.

To my mind there are several :

General Aviation SEL the Diamond. ( A lot of my hours are in mine, nothing short of a jet matches it $ for $ in the wow thrills dept. )

Airliner The DC-8-61. My first ride was in one.

Military that beauity the F-86 H Saber. or the P-51 D

Home built The RV-8

Classic the Dak ( DC-3 / C-47 ) But the Connie (L-1059 ) runs a close second and I crossed the Pacific in one up front years back. ( TIA )

Bonus round the Fokker tripe ( Dr-1 )

As a child. My grandfathers 1950's Ford 8N tractor. Hey I 'Flew' it for hours.

B)

From my actual flying experience, I have fond memories of the F2H-3 Banshee which I flew for the Navy in 1955-57. Probably the high point of my 34 years of flying.

My favorite airliner was the L-1011. Most comfortable cockpit, best autopilot, and an auto-land you could trust down to CAT3B miniums. Handy on foggy mornings at SEATAC. I retired from TWA on it in 1987.

The most fun I ever had was in a ParaPlane.

The most gratifying flying I ever did was instructing in the back seat of a T-34. I turned out 75 students in 3 years.

First flight was an AA B-707 in 1964, CLE to LAX. Have since flown in any number of A/C. One really neat flight was from Kelly's Island to Port Clinton on an Island Airlines Ford Tri-motor, in 1972 or so. I wonder whatever happened to that old bird? Favorite? Well, they are all great, from the little guys, which you can fly yourself, to the big birds that take you where you want to go, when you need to go there.

My favourite aircraft right now is the Boeing 777 in American Airlines MRTC configuration. This aircraft is so comfortable and quite and the PTVs and more legroom were touches that would make our customers and employees very happy. Another favourite aircraft is the MD80 in American Airlines MRTC configuration. Altough these aircrafts lack entertainment that is present in more modern airliners I think they make flights very comfortable for avid readers who just enjoy a good book, magazine or anyother reading material to make time go by.

I'm gonna have to agree with dashdog but i'm gonna put it under the description of any F-15

the F-15 sparked my interest to fly

Airliner: 757 with RR RB211. I've always heard good things about the 757 and its flying qualities. With all that RR power, I don't think I've ever seen one struggle to break ground. I was a utility person for Useless Airways in PIT for a few years and just listening to those engines throttle up to breakaway power would make my neck hair stand on end. Honorable mention: Boeing 717. The DC-9 was a great airplane. Add a modern cockpit and more powerful and efficient engines and another winner. Too bad Boeing hasn't aggressively marketed it as an RJ you can actually put people and bags in.

GA Piston (I've flown): Beechcraft Sierra. Basically, it's a Musketeer with retractable gear, I've done most of my commercial license SEL in this airplane. Not the most powerful airplane, but is it SOLID and a stable ship. I flew from Beaver County airport (north of PIT) to Meigs before Mayor D****head bulldozed it into rubble. What fun and what a great trip.

GA Piston: Beech Bonanza, but I really like the Cirrus too.

Bizjet: Citation. No, its not as quick as a Lear, but I just like the basic idea of the Citation as the "owner-flown" bizjet. Gives me hope for when I hit the lottery :)

Vickers Super VC-10, an absolutely stunningly beautiful aircraft. Pity I was too young when I flew on it (6 months and 18 months) to remember the experience, but one book I devoured on aircraft said 'it turned a high proportion of landing into "greasers" because of its undercarriage design.'

The clean wing, the T-tail and elegantly swept tailplane (the 727s T is very blocky by comparison), the 4 engines menacingly gathered at the back (like the look of an aggressive sports car) -- the whole shape really fitted the BOAC speedbird logo and looked very very classy in the old BOAC livery.

Aaaaaaahhh

without doubt for me, the 747-400, the ac I grew up with in Asia as a passenger, and the only ac type that still typifies the glamor of flying for me!

Back