What should a Delta Sky Club look like post COVID?

DOUGandNIKI

May 12, 2020
My wife and I are travel Vloggers and we had a pending review for the Minneapolis Delta Sky Club. We converted it into a conversation about what Airport Lounges will have to be like in the future. We'd love it if you'd watch, think about our suggestions and comment with your own. We'd like it to be a discussion of the changes that will be necessary for all of us to enjoy traveling in the future.

DOUGandNIKI from YouTube. Link below

My wife and I are travel Vloggers and we had a pending review for the Minneapolis Delta Sky Club. We converted it into a conversation about what Airport Lounges will have to be like in the future. We'd love it if you'd watch, think about our suggestions and comment with your own. We'd like it to be a discussion of the changes that will be necessary for all of us to enjoy traveling in the future.

DOUGandNIKI from YouTube. Link below

Would you both be will to pay extra for it?

And there's your answer. Everyone's all-in about social distancing until it starts to cost them money.

Eolesen may have previously alluded to this but, if demand increases sooner rather than later and middle seats are still not in play, passengers will pay higher fares for their seats.....Will they then be willing to accept middle seat use, safety guidelines in use(masks,gloves,sanitizer), if that lowers their ticket prices?

Eolesen may have previously alluded to this but, if demand increases sooner rather than later and middle seats are still not in play, passengers will pay higher fares for their seats.....Will they then be willing to accept middle seat use, safety guidelines in use(masks,gloves,sanitizer), if that lowers their ticket prices?
I think so, don't you? I just find it hard to believe the middle seat being enough is going to convince general travelers that flying in a tube with other humans is safe enough.

Are there actually any documented cases of someone getting COVID from being on an airplane?... Or is this just fear induced speculation?

I suspect you still have a much higher chance of dying behind the wheel of your car than you do getting COVID on an airplane.

Are there actually any documented cases of someone getting COVID from being on an airplane?... Or is this just fear induced speculation?

I suspect you still have a much higher chance of dying behind the wheel of your car than you do getting COVID on an airplane.

I know the flaw in that process well as a former professional race car driver. I could/would/did throw out the statistics that every mile I traveled on the race track in my race car was safer than every mile I traveled at home going to/from work. The difference is... I didn't "need" to be in a race car, on a race track, exposed to serious injury. It was optional... You don't have a choice as a generic thought in terms of if you are going to go to work, if you are going to take the kids to the doctor, you have to be in the car and exposed to that additional risk, much more of a need than a choice. For the most part, people don't "need" to be on an airplane. We may like to fly, prefer to fly than drive, etc but it's an optional assumption of additional risk.

I'm not sure what the SkyClubs will look like going forward. I think maybe an "easy" answer for the food would be to put up plexiglass, and have someone prepare what you want (almost like Subway). That also means more expenses, so maybe not worth it?

DL has also worked to pare down who can/cannot get in, so that has helped with crowding. Obviously, not a lot of people traveling now, but if it rebounds, I expect those exclusions to increase.

Exclusions will be troublesome for a paid-membership model, and clubs are ridiculously profitable.

True. I was thinking more about things like guest-passes and which co-branded cards offer access as part of their annual fee. DL has been scaling those types of access back even before COVID.

I think so, don't you? I just find it hard to believe the middle seat being enough is going to convince general travelers that flying in a tube with other humans is safe enough.
As long as the mask and face coverings are enforced in the air, then everyone is safe. Mask and face coverings are not protecting the mask wearer but instead protecting others from the mask wearer. If all people wear them then that would stop a spread issue in a closed tube with recirculating air. Someone on here asked if there was any "confirmed" cases from on board and aircraft. The answer is no. But we had a many of mechanics on downlines that came back and was tested positive and they, the co., and even the CDC thinks it may have been from the flight, but, no way to tell for sure. After this event there were 30 mechanics and inspectors sent home for quarantine with 4 tested positive and later 2 more tested positive, then shortly later the entire 6 bays of heavy maint., line support shop, composite shops, sheet metal shops, C-check and others were sent home for 2-3 weeks on quarantine just to be safe. That place was a ghost town for sure. I too am worried about the general public views on coming back to flying even with the middle seats empty. The media has everyone scared to death...

Key phrase: the media has everyone scared to death. COVID isn't Ebola, but you'd think it was listening to the mainstream networks.

Yeah, I'm sure your co-workers all got COVID from work because they weren't in a grocery store, Home Depot, or anywhere else they might have come into contact with someone who was asymptomatic. And there are far more asymptomatics than there are hospitalizations or even just cold/flu symptoms.

Also, stop spreading the myth that cabin air keeps recirculating. It's changed out every 3-8 minutes depending on the airframe and I recall most also have HEPA filters in place.

Key phrase: the media has everyone scared to death. COVID isn't Ebola, but you'd think it was listening to the mainstream networks.

Yeah, I'm sure your co-workers all got COVID from work because they weren't in a grocery store, Home Depot, or anywhere else they might have come into contact with someone who was asymptomatic. And there are far more asymptomatics than there are hospitalizations or even just cold/flu symptoms.

Also, stop spreading the myth that cabin air keeps recirculating. It's changed out every 3-8 minutes depending on the airframe and I recall most also have HEPA filters in place.
Agree with the media statement 100%
While on the downlines, it's work 16-20 hours straight, then back to the hotel for paid rest. Back at the airport after 8 hours or 4 hours paid rest and repeat until aircraft is done. Once aircraft is done it's back in the air on your way home. No time for fun time, shopping, walking around, it's work-work-work then come home and rest for a few days off.
Anyone wanna try and even begin to guarantee that all 100% of all the air is dumped? No, they won't. A lot still gets recirculated. You ever pulled a lower side wall grille out? Trapped air all in those dust, hair, and other build ups still will keep and hold a bunch of that trapped air that never gets recirculated. C'mon man, we all know that not all the air is recirculated just like in you own house. So not spreading a myth, it's true, not all onboard air is dumped over at a 100% rate...