WHAT WILL AA DO?

limit

Senior
Jan 3, 2003
This is not the topic about JAL leaving or not.There is another topic for that debate.
With JAL going to SkyTeam ,what is next for AA?
More or less flying out of NRT ? New routes to Asia ?Other?

This is not the topic about JAL leaving or not.There is another topic for that debate.
With JAL going to SkyTeam ,what is next for AA?
More or less flying out of NRT ? New routes to Asia ?Other?

Here's what is next for AA:

sur·ren·der (s-rndr)
v. sur·ren·dered, sur·ren·der·ing, sur·ren·ders
v.tr.
1. To relinquish possession or control of to another because of demand or compulsion.
2. To give up in favor of another.
3. To give up or give back (something that has been granted): surrender a contractual right.
4. To give up or abandon: surrender all hope.
5. To give over or resign (oneself) to something, as to an emotion: surrendered himself to grief.
6. Law To restore (an estate, for example), especially to give up (a lease) before expiration of the term.
v.intr.
To give oneself up, as to an enemy.
n.
1. The act or an instance of surrendering.
2. Law
a. The delivery of a prisoner, fugitive from justice, or other principal in a suit into legal custody.
b. The act of surrendering or of being surrendered to bail.
c. Restoration of an estate.

What's next? Acquire UAL. And then shut down 80% of it, like the results with most other AA acquisitions.

I miss New Hampshire Black Bears. He'd be all over this topic.

Why does AA need to do anything? Prior to DL getting NW and their NRT hub, how many flights did DL have to Japan? DL seemed to be satisfied with having Korean Air as their Asian alliance partner and not be very concerned about having a huge presence in Japan. So, why can't AA be satisfied with CX as their sole Asian 1-world alliance airline?

What's next? Acquire UAL. And then shut down 80% of it, like the results with most other AA acquisitions.

I miss New Hampshire Black Bears. He'd be all over this topic.

Whatever did happen to bears?

I've noticed his absence but never said anything.

I do not know if they will be satisfied or not ,but questions are there.

Will DFW-NRT be able to support 2 flights ,without JAL feeding trafic?
Would it make more sense for AA to also fly to Hong Kong since CX is based there?

As far as DL is concerned it seems to me that they were not satisfied ,thus the moves for NW and JAL.

Why does AA need to do anything? Prior to DL getting NW and their NRT hub, how many flights did DL have to Japan? DL seemed to be satisfied with having Korean Air as their Asian alliance partner and not be very concerned about having a huge presence in Japan. So, why can't AA be satisfied with CX as their sole Asian 1-world alliance airline?

Delta had but one daily flight to Tokyo prior to the merger with NW (ATL-NRT). But NW (with its NRT hub and connections) was already in the Skyteam alliance.

I suppose that AA doesn't have to do anything, but without connecting flights in Japan (codeshare or intra-alliance), the question becomes how many daily flights to Japan can AA support? AA has codeshared with JAL for at least 10 years to provide connections to SIN, BKK and other destinations.

I'm wondering if AA can set up codeshares with ANA or DL (or JAL if it continues to fly internationally) even if JAL joins Skyteam, much the way LAX-based American Eagle flights have carried DL codes for years (LAX-SAN, for example). Wouldn't be as ideal as having JAL in Oneworld (think lounge access for one), but it would be better than nothing.

Will DFW-NRT be able to support 2 flights ,without JAL feeding trafic?
Would it make more sense for AA to also fly to Hong Kong since CX is based there?

The company has already said that if JAL leaves OneWorld, they will reduce flights to NRT--AFAIK, they did not specify where the reductions would occur--DFW or ORD.

Question about Hong Kong...according to the particular mileage calculator that I found through google, Hong Kong is almost 2000 miles further than Tokyo. I have no idea if this is air or surface miles. Nevertheless, Hong Kong is further from DFW than Tokyo. Do we have a/c with the legs for that? Or, would we have to move the Asia service to LAX or ORD if we changed to heavy duty codesharing with CX? Or, would DFW to Hong Kong have to be capacity/weight restricted?

I don't see DFW passengers changing planes in ORD or LAX if they don't have to.

According to Great Circle Mapper, ORD-HKG is about 1520 miles longer than ORD-NRT. AA has previously flown its 777 ORD-HKG to prove that two-engine polar flights to HKG were possible (way back in 1999 or early 2000, IIRC).

From DFW, HKG is about 1700 miles beyond NRT, and effectively out of range at 8123 miles. That would have to wait for the 787-9 or AA would have to buy some 777LR.

From LAX, HKG is about 1810 miles beyond NRT, but AA's planes could reach HKG at 7260 miles.

All miles above are statute, not nautical, miles.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=ord-nrt...&MAP-STYLE=

Does one world even serve ORD -HKG?This is a route that will link two huge hubs.
How about HNL to NRT or HKG.Could be done with smaller aircraft (767)on an one stop,ORD,LAX even from DFW.

Does one world even serve ORD -HKG?This is a route that will link two huge hubs.
How about HNL to NRT or HKG.Could be done with smaller aircraft (767)on an one stop,ORD,LAX even from DFW.

This is route map that I found on airliners.net forums name:
JL Likely To Decide For DL Over AA: One World?
No but they serve three major airports NYC, SFO and LAX in the U.S..

Attachments

• oneworld_1_.jpg
    oneworld_1_.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 274

Latest posts