What's Getting Better?

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
OK, we've got one thread running 18 pages about a problem in Philly.

Let's look thru the OTHER end of the telescope.

What's getting better?

Where is the new U doing a better job than the old (that shouldn't be hard! ;) )

Where are there better policies, better management/labor relations, better allocation of resources? Where are employees and management living up to the letter and spirit of their agreements?

I understand there is quite a bit to do, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

I understand the operational merger is down the line.

But as a veteran of a merger, I know what is being done right now is vital. If Doug and company can move the needle NOW, the operational merger will go fine.

US bought PI in 1987 and merged operations in 1989. U so mismanaged the interregnum the operational merger was a fiasco. It created an unneccessary division that lasted a decade. Y'all can't afford to go there again.

One thought. If U/east employees continue to see the 'same old, same old', why would they buy in? You need to understand - the employees that kept U aloft WANT good leadership. They know the lack of same has cost them dearly these past five years. They are ready for improvements in the work environment.

Another thought. The 'HP' folks need to understand - change is coming your way, too. This merger is not going to simply be an overlay of what you used to do over the 'U' network and employees. While I expect quite a bit of HP policies to be retained, rest assured: when you double in size, change happens. Get used to it.

Last thought. Assuming U is committed to PHL long term, I'd make sure they had all of the equipment and staffing neccessary to operate. I'd give them support. And then, I'd accept no excuses.

Best of luck, and I hope y'all can make this thing happen!

So far the biggest change has been the attitudes. I don't hear as much negativity around the crew room. There was a time when I would only go down into the crew room to check in or get my mail. Even when sitting OPR for 4 hrs. I spent my time up in the airport. Now things seem more relaxed.

In CLT at every gate we have posters of the heritage circle and signs at the customer service desk with the date of birth of a new US. People are all asking how to get the circle pins that we are wearing.

Its amazing how such small things can bring such big changes.

wow these little pins and we're returning to the top...why didn't seigel think of that? :lol:
(but you have to pay for your own) :blink:

ok toto time to stop by northwest....

delldude said:
wow these little pins and we're returning to the top...why didn't seigel think of that? :lol:
(but you have to pay for your own) :blink:
ok toto time to stop by northwest....
[post="309425"][/post]​

Delldude,

Get a shave buddy, and how about using some of that dental insurance!

diogenes said:
OK, we've got one thread running 18 pages about a problem in Philly.
Let's look thru the OTHER end of the telescope.
What's getting better?
Where is the new U doing a better job than the old (that shouldn't be hard! ;) )
[post="309403"][/post]​

sky high states: "New" implies IMPROVED.
Better watch out how much U uses the term, the "NEW" USAirways. :lol:

?????

Who's responsible for operations...........

The same guy who was just hired at the NEW & IMPROVED USAirways as CEO of Operations.

????????????? You gotta love it.

My station=nothing's changed. Same inept mgmt without a clue, refuses to listen to employee suggestions(the folks actually doing the work) to improve cust svc and moving the hoards of people thru chk in properly and efficiently. Thk God I am outta here in a few short days on EO. Almost 2 decades and sadly will not be able to look back and say to the managers "it was a pleasure" because I'd be lying. Hope it's better elsewhere for the stay behinds and be lucky you don't work in "this" busy mismanaged ato.

Well, I believe the employees have hit some performance targets and are due a small bonus.

That's good news!

What's worse, the disciplines are getting worse and my understanding is that its coming from an AWA Director of Inflight named Sherry.

That's bad news!

Morale will not raise with employees being in "job jeopardy" for infinity with worsening policies. Not at U-East

PITbull said:
What's worse, the disciplines are getting worse and my understanding is that its coming from an AWA Director of Inflight named Sherry. 

I know this person and you are way off base. Stick to the facts. Time to relax and enjoy some quality time with the family. :up:

I think some things are getting better. Finally an east crew said hi back to us today in BOS. They were real friendly and chatted a bit. I hope we can all come together.

flyin2low said:
So, the biggest change is that we got our pins.
[post="309423"][/post]​

They're not pins, they're a raise in disguise. You can sell them on eBay and double your money!

Look here: eBay Item number: 6567607914

(Based on the photo in the auction description it appears the New USAirways has already lost its focus! :rolleyes: )

Attachments

• 33_1.JPG
    33_1.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 175
Yes, there are changes on both sides. I've been on both. And those at West HP are having a blast trying to get the computers to work so we can sell. Can't figure out which ones we can sell and which ones to NN. I know it will all work out but then yesterday our great upgrade button woudln't work and we had to do it manually. It was okay got to talk to more Chairmans members and they were great.
People at U East seem to be happier on the phones.
More money already in the form of a bonus.
And just one thought. On Unions. We need to have 1 if we're to have any--which most of us don't think we need at this time. Why have CWA on the East coast and Teamsters on the West coast??? If the airline is merging one needs to be chosen. Why aren't we doing this?? Because neither union believes it can win a clear cut vote. Maybe no one will get a merged union vote either. :up:

Zeus said:
I know this person and you are way off base. Stick to the facts. Time to relax and enjoy some quality time with the family.  :up:
[post="309690"][/post]​

I assumed you were doing that since you took this job.

What are you doing? Following me?

I make it my business to know who in mangment is doing what and policies they are trying to implement that may do harm to the employee is trying to do their job.

The disciplines are so bad on this property that you are now catching the dolphins.

diogenes said:
Another thought. The 'HP' folks need to understand - change is coming your way, too. This merger is not going to simply be an overlay of what you used to do over the 'U' network and employees. While I expect quite a bit of HP policies to be retained, rest assured: when you double in size, change happens. Get used to it.

[post="309403"][/post]​

No, really? Wow.

Don't patronize us. That may be the first step to making everything "better" at the new US. :glare: