What's the matter with proving citizenship to vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
eolesen said:
Let me rephrase. They don't matter until you get into a situation like Florida in 2000, where you have a race so close that a manual recount has to be done.

Getting back to the actual topic.. common sense is finally prevailing amongst the judiciary. AZ's attempts to enforce their 2004 voter ID ballot proposals have now been cleared and upheld by the courts, and barring a Supreme Court challenge, it looks like it will be easier for states who want to ensure the integrity over their balloting will be able to do so.

AZ has been able to enforce voter ID when voting, but hadn't been able to modify the Federal form for motor-voter registration. The Feds blocked it, the courts have now been decided that it's permissible.

Let me rephrase then.  If having an ID is that important then how can we allow absentee voting.  After all, how can anyone be 100% certain that the absentee ballot was filled out by the registered voter?

Again, instead of the NAACP and AARP spending money fighting voter ID, why not spend it helping those "LEGAL" citizens who have a problem obtaing an ID,  obtain said ID?
Same could be said for the Just Ain't Right. Instead of discouraging the young and disenfranchised from voting they should be assisting them. It is the American Way.

Dog Wonder said:
Same could be said for the Just Ain't Right. Instead of discouraging the young and disenfranchised from voting they should be assisting them. It is the American Way.
And just how is the right discouraging the young and disenfranchized ....not enough free stuff? 

southwind said:
Again, instead of the NAACP and AARP spending money fighting voter ID, why not spend it helping those "LEGAL" citizens who have a problem obtaing an ID,  obtain said ID?
separate issue. The GOP seems hell bent on wasting money to cure a problem that does. There have only been 10 cases of voter ID fraud from 2000-2010. Why are they spending so much effort to cure a problem that does not exist?

Ms Tree said:
Since there have only been 10 case of voter ID fraud proven from 2000-2010 I'm not sure how this waste of tax payer money can help do anything. Of course if the real intent was something other than to prevent non-existent voter ID fraud then they will have succeeded.
Looks like North Carolina has found quite a bit of fraud in their latest audit. At least 50 people who were already dead long before the ballots were sent out, and upward of 700 who voted in two states, possibly as high as 35,000.

http://www.wral.com/state-elections-officials-seek-tighter-security/13533579/

But, hey, there's nothing wrong with the election process, right?

eolesen said:
Looks like North Carolina has found quite a bit of fraud in their latest audit. At least 50 people who were already dead long before the ballots were sent out, and upward of 700 who voted in two states, possibly as high as 35,000.http://www.wral.com/state-elections-officials-seek-tighter-security/13533579/But, hey, there's nothing wrong with the election process, right?
how is that voter ID fraud? Did a zombie walk up to the polling station and vote? I'm guessing it was an absentee ballot and voter ID would not come in to play. Voter ID fraud is a small subset of voter fraud.

Again, the Republican lawyers group who conducted the study only found 10 cases over a 10 year span.

Now Tree splits hairs (as usual) with voter ID fraud.....absentee ballots....OK....good point....but he doesn't deal with the amount of states where most anyone can walk up and vote....like during the Wisconsin Scott Walker vote, buses were coming in from out of state and (trade unionists) were voting from other states. Many states have extremely lax laws regarding voting and ID requirements.
Where I live we have precincts and  voter lists.....some places, all you need is a utility bill,and you're good to go.

So to argue the lame point of no voter ID fraud is bullcrap.

It is voter ID fraud when someone knowingly uses a dead persons name to vote BTW....and it happens all the time on the left side of the street.

Wanna bet the party can't find out who's dead and who's still on the voter lists?

delldude said:
Now Tree splits hairs (as usual) with voter ID fraud.....absentee ballots....

Which should be done away with since you cannot say with 100% certainty that the person filling out the ballot was the registered voter.

Totally OK with eliminating ballots which get automatically mailed out, as long as there's some accommodation for those in the military who are deployed or based out of their home state.

There's no reason to eliminate absentees, though. Go into the local elections office, present your photo ID, and request (or better yet, receive on the spot) your ballot.

Who fills it out is less important if you can ensure that the person who receives it is the person registered.

777 fixer said:

Which should be done away with since you cannot say with 100% certainty that the person filling out the ballot was the registered voter.

My FIL voted for O, my MIL wanted to vote for Maverick.....FIL filled hers out for O......I turned him in, he died in Leavenworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back