What's the matter with proving citizenship to vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
eolesen said:
There's no reason to eliminate absentees, though. Go into the local elections office, present your photo ID, and request (or better yet, receive on the spot) your ballot.

The only way to ensure the integrity of our voting system is to eliminate any chance that the person voting is not the actual registered voter.  Eliminate absentee voting.

eolesen said:
Who fills it out is less important if you can ensure that the person who receives it is the person registered.

Who fills it out is not as important as who receives it?  Please tell me you're joking.

777 fixer said:

The only way to ensure the integrity of our voting system is to eliminate any chance that the person voting is not the actual registered voter.  Eliminate absentee voting.

From what I understand, absentee votes only get counted in close races....so thats kind of a non issue.....I think cheating at the poll would be a bigger real time problem next to electronic vote cheating.

delldude said:

From what I understand, absentee votes only get counted in close races....so thats kind of a non issue.....I think cheating at the poll would be a bigger real time problem next to electronic vote cheating.

www.nass.org

777 fixer said:
Ok, so how do you accommodate the military serving overseas or who are registered to vote somewhere other than their duty station?

Do they just not get a vote?

Why can't they vote at their base and the information is then relayed to the appropriate district?

Ms Tree said:
Why can't they vote at their base and the information is then relayed to the appropriate district?
Good question, aside from getting the blank ballots to every base for every district conducting an election, and then manage to certify the chain of custody on both the blank and the cast ballots....

Electronic voting would be a more obvious choice, but that has trust issues and fraud potential of its own.

Maybe "vote by video" link, where an election official fills out and deposits the ballot in the box?...

eolesen said:
Good question, aside from getting the blank ballots to every base for every district conducting an election, and then manage to certify the chain of custody on both the blank and the cast ballots....

Electronic voting would be a more obvious choice, but that has trust issues and fraud potential of its own.

Maybe "vote by video" link, where an election official fills out and deposits the ballot in the box?...
They can print their own ballots.  What and who prints it does not seem like an issue.  You plug in your district info and it prints out.  No big deal as far as I can see.  The military has your resident info so they can verify.  Pop it into a ballot box when you finish voting.  Each base designates a hand full of people totally the votes and forward the info to the various districts.  We can put a rover on Mars and communicate with it over 54 million miles away.  We have to be able to figure out a way for the military to vote.

Your last idea seems quite doable as well.

eolesen said:
Ok, so how do you accommodate the military serving overseas or who are registered to vote somewhere other than their duty station?

Do they just not get a vote?

You're going to have to figure out something so we can maintain the integrity of our voting system.

The Houston-based True the Vote said it has identified 160 counties across 19 states with more registered voters on their rolls than eligible live voters. This chart highlights the 19 states and how they voted in the 2008 election. (Image source: True the Vote)

True-the-Vote-counties-states-620x390.jpg

The counties in question are spread across 19 states that together account for 203 electoral college votes, including six current battleground states. Among the counties are LaSalle, Ill., which True the Vote identified as having 520 percent voter registration; Jefferson, Miss. with more than 230 percent; and Hanson, S.D. with 165 percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back