When Will Northwest Retire Their Dc9-10s

N989AT said:
I know that, but I'm sure that will be a -30/-40/-50. I just wanted to know when the -10s will be gone
I'm just curious; why do you people have to take every possible opportunity to slam Airbus? I have talked to more than a few NWA Technicians who say it is not a bad airplane to work on. Also, let's not forget United's quote about the 747-400; "It's a great airplane, I just can't wait until Boeing finishes it." (Mind you, that was after it had been in service for a while).

Hello,

Dude, I don't know if you are the same guy posting this question over at the FlightInfo forums, but...

The DC-9-10s aren't going anywhere. They are low time/low cycle aircraft, and fit a niche at NWA. They are VERY reliable aircraft.

Why the panic?

Nu

Hello,

There are 8 -10s in the fleet. Some -30s are being parked at the end of next year due to cycle limits, but the -10s are staying for the forseeable future. Chances are the -30s being parked will be replaced with -9s that are currently in storage.

The DC-9s that NWA purchased later on are all very low time/low cycle aircraft, and have years, if not a decade or two of service life left. They are fastidiously maintained and are extremely reliable. Plus, if you are away from a MX hub, any A&P who has ever turned a wrench can work on the -9 or the JT8D. NWAs DC-9-50s have the lowest CASM of ANY non-LCC aircraft, and lower than many LCC aircraft.

I can see why they are not in a big panic to replace them. Paid off, cheap to run and more reliable that just about anything out there.

Nu

NuGuy said:
They are fastidiously maintained and are extremely reliable.......

........I can see why they are not in a big panic to replace them. Paid off, cheap to run and more reliable that just about anything out there.

Nu
Last time I looked they had the best dispatch reliability in the fleet (maybe except for the A330 now?). Wish the DC10 was the same way. :rolleyes: