Question About DC-9's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun Flyer

Apr 19, 2008
Can anyone in the know tell me why 40 year old DC-9's are still flying when they've well surpassed their "design life"? Are there no FAA limits on how long a commercial aircraft can fly? Just curious as I've only been able to find some sketchy information on different web sites. I just find it hard to believe that they could still be deemed safe for such heavy usage after that many hours in the air, takeoffs and landings. And does anyone know what the plans are in regard to these aircraft with the merger i.e. will they keep flying, replace, retire, etc. Thanks in advance!

I believe as long as they are throughly maintained with the proper maintaince care, they can fly as long as possible. As to why NWA hasnt gotten rid of them is beyond anyone's guess. I guess they figured that the DC-9 can go into places that may or may not support a larger aircraft. I dont believe that FAA has any limits as long as the planes are maintained properly. Some cargo airlines still fly the DC-8 and I think that is older than the DC-9s

Some cargo airlines still fly the DC-8 and I think that is older than the DC-9s

Depends on the airframe. Virtually all of the DC-8s still hauling freight are 'stretch' 8s (DC-8-60 series reengined to DC-8-70 standard). These airframes were built between 1966 and 1972.
Northwest's active DC-9 fleet was manufactured between 1967 and 1980. Not including MD-80s, the DC-9 line as a whole was built between 1965 and 1982.
So, there is a chance that a UPS DC-8-70 freighter is actually a few years newer than a NW DC-9 that follows it onto a runway somewhere!

Can anyone in the know tell me why 40 year old DC-9's are still flying when they've well surpassed their "design life"? Are there no FAA limits on how long a commercial aircraft can fly? Just curious as I've only been able to find some sketchy information on different web sites. I just find it hard to believe that they could still be deemed safe for such heavy usage after that many hours in the air, takeoffs and landings. And does anyone know what the plans are in regard to these aircraft with the merger i.e. will they keep flying, replace, retire, etc. Thanks in advance!

Here is a little history.

We (the non-scab techs) spent many years replacing primary structural components in the DC-9 starting in the late 1980's and early '90s. We replaced bulkheads, skins, main frames, landing gear attach fittings, keel beams, spars, etc...this in addition to the aging aircraft mods (window belt doublers, station 83 mods, sids....) When NWA made the decision to keep the DC-9's for the long term, we stepped up to the plate and delivered. We wrote the book on many repairs for Douglas. Douglas and the FAA used our DC-9's as case studies in structural repair perfection. Many of the repairs were simply done by the techs, then the Engineer would come and draw up what was done and submit it to the FAA and Douglas for approval. These guys were good.

Most of this heavy work was done in ATL in the old Southern/Republic Hangar. NWA hired many Ex-Eastern mechanics (250+non-scabs) who had been working on DC-9's since they were delivered. Those guys, in addition to the old Southern/Republic talent made the DC-9 fleet able to fly another 15 years.

I had the pleasure of working with some of the finest Aviation Sheet Metal/Structural Repair Technicians in the industry. They/us were second to none in ingenuity and engineering know-how.

Here is a little history.

We (the non-scab techs) spent many years replacing primary structural components in the DC-9 starting in the late 1980's and early '90s. We replaced bulkheads, skins, main frames, landing gear attach fittings, keel beams, spars, etc...this in addition to the aging aircraft mods (window belt doublers, station 83 mods, sids....) When NWA made the decision to keep the DC-9's for the long term, we stepped up to the plate and delivered. We wrote the book on many repairs for Douglas. Douglas and the FAA used our DC-9's as case studies in structural repair perfection. Many of the repairs were simply done by the techs, then the Engineer would come and draw up what was done and submit it to the FAA and Douglas for approval. These guys were good.

Most of this heavy work was done in ATL in the old Southern/Republic Hangar. NWA hired many Ex-Eastern mechanics (250+non-scabs) who had been working on DC-9's since they were delivered. Those guys, in addition to the old Southern/Republic talent made the DC-9 fleet able to fly another 15 years.

I had the pleasure of working with some of the finest Aviation Sheet Metal/Structural Repair Technicians in the industry. They/us were second to none in ingenuity and engineering know-how.

Lets not forget the JT-8 engine shop in ATL too...The engines coming out of there were top notch unlike the power by the hour crap you see now. Hell Delta came over to see how NW was doing JT-8 overhauls after their MD-80 engines kept flying apart. But like the current nw management likes to say " we are not in the maintenance business" and it shows.

The DC-9-10 was good for 104,000 cycles. Thw airframe was then scrapped.This happened to several of airframes at scab air.I dont know if the same cycles applied to the 30s,and 50s.

The DC-9-10 was good for 104,000 cycles. Thw airframe was then scrapped.This happened to several of airframes at scab air.I dont know if the same cycles applied to the 30s,and 50s.

Actually, Douglas certified the DC-9 for 140,000 cycles.

GreatPooh

Once the merger between Delta and Northwest is finalized, I wouldn't be surprised if Delta retires all of the DC-9's flown by NWA - much like United and Continental retiring their B737 fleets. That is, if the scabs at NWA don't destroy them all first...

Once the merger between Delta and Northwest is finalized, I wouldn't be surprised if Delta retires all of the DC-9's flown by NWA - much like United and Continental retiring their B737 fleets. That is, if the scabs at NWA don't destroy them all first...

Thats what we are all hoping, I hope to not have to work on them long at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.