When will SWA go to Hawaii???

Hawaiin Air does not shock me. It was one of my picks when I mentioned SWA was looking at another airline and my time frame was by 2020 with an announcement possibly in 2018. These are all JMO, but who knows. I thought Hawaiin Air would be good for the island hoping in Hawaii. The shocker to me would be 2 airlines at the same time, unless you mean 2 airlines he is looking at but will end up with trying to purchase one. Give it a few more years, pretty sure we will hear something.

There were rumors of another purchase even before the AT was finalized. Then the rumors picked back up right before SWA settled the Pilots and F/A's contracts. They are flowing again and it also looks like the company is now trying to get something out to the mechanics for a vote. However, with that said, we are where we should have been 5 years ago, the company just passed their first offer in writing across the table. This should have been done 4.5 years ago.

Are we getting closer to a Hawaii announcement? This guy seems to think so. I was hoping for at least an announcement for Hawaii by end of 2017 for service to start in 2018 sometime...

Is Southwest getting ready to start flying to Hawaii?
We would need a partner airline such as HA, because we do not have an ETOPS program in place, our metal can not get to Hawaii until we have an approved ETOPS program from the FAA.

I know that it's all gossip and over the years, I've heard plenty. I was recently visiting friends who are still working and they both mentioned that they've heard talk of buying HA.

Shall we keep the rumors going and claim that SWA will announce a merger with Hawaii at this convention? Or will we just go with the announcement of starting flights sometime?? Or could it be nothing at all??? Gotta love these rumors man...

Well, today marks the first day of the 3 day event in Hawaii that SWA is sponsoring. Most are expecting a big announcement with rumors of starting Hawaii service sometime in 2018, and, another rumor of a possible merger, get together or maybe code sharing with Hawaii Airlines. Maybe, just maybe it could be a mixture of both. Maybe, they are picking Hawaii to announce some other big deal just to throw everyone off, SWA likes to do that. Here are 4 examples of why some are thinking Hawaii flights are coming soon with this announcement:

Four Reasons Why We Think Southwest Will Announce Hawaii This Week

swamt lets hypothetically say that SWA announces a codeshare with HA and then a merger which airline candidate do you think they would buy and if possible why?

swamt lets hypothetically say that SWA announces a codeshare with HA and then a merger which airline candidate do you think they would buy and if possible why?
I don't think the DOJ would allow us and ALK, but they would be one of my first along with Hawaii. Frontier and a distant Allegiant or Sun Country. I also believe SWA would not keep any a/c if it were to get with the two later guesses. Last time I worked on Sun Country planes they were junk.

Reactions: robbedagain
ok I often wondered how SW/HA would given HA has both AB and BO aircraft and HA flies widebody if there were a SW HA merger would SWA keep the long range wide bodies?

Not positive on the wide bodies, but, SWA has stated that they will half to look at larger planes sometime in the future. Don't connect that directly with the current rumors, as SWA has also considered looking at the new Max 10 as a larger aircraft. I see a possible 2nd story happening over in Hawaii. It could end up that SWA might get enough passengers from Hawaii as well as other airlines, and Hawaii might wanna call in a favor to SWA with an agreement of some sort with a possibility of a merger later on.
My guess now has more leaned towards the announcement coming will be about Southwest starting flights to Hawaii as this article below tells that they have some pretty good info that that will be what it is and they are a news agency from Hawaii called Hawaii News Now--not HNN from here called Headline News Network. I kind of put a little more weight with them as they are from over there and have better access to the Hawaiian gov. for info. We will see. I am being greedy here robbed, I wanna see flights start to Hawaii on SWA before end of this year, but not sure if it's enough time. At latest I am hoping for early 2018 and hopefully not later than mid 2018.
Here's that Hawaiian news article below, take note of the highlighted 2nd or 3rd paragraph where they say they have real good evidence. This is the part that got me more excited:

Seeking Alpha, a crowd-sourced financial analysis company, reported Monday that they had uncovered documents between Southwest and the Hawaii government that made the carrier's entry into the Hawaiian market a surety.

Speculation ramps up as Southwest plays down potential Hawaii routes

Not positive on the wide bodies, but, SWA has stated that they will half to look at larger planes sometime in the future. Don't connect that directly with the current rumors, as SWA has also considered looking at the new Max 10 as a larger aircraft. I see a possible 2nd story happening over in Hawaii. It could end up that SWA might get enough passengers from Hawaii as well as other airlines, and Hawaii might wanna call in a favor to SWA with an agreement of some sort with a possibility of a merger later on.
My guess now has more leaned towards the announcement coming will be about Southwest starting flights to Hawaii as this article below tells that they have some pretty good info that that will be what it is and they are a news agency from Hawaii called Hawaii News Now--not HNN from here called Headline News Network. I kind of put a little more weight with them as they are from over there and have better access to the Hawaiian gov. for info. We will see. I am being greedy here robbed, I wanna see flights start to Hawaii on SWA before end of this year, but not sure if it's enough time. At latest I am hoping for early 2018 and hopefully not later than mid 2018.
Here's that Hawaiian news article below, take note of the highlighted 2nd or 3rd paragraph where they say they have real good evidence. This is the part that got me more excited:

Seeking Alpha, a crowd-sourced financial analysis company, reported Monday that they had uncovered documents between Southwest and the Hawaii government that made the carrier's entry into the Hawaiian market a surety.

Speculation ramps up as Southwest plays down potential Hawaii routes
Hawaii government, wouldn't that be the U. S government for ETOPS.

thx for the article swamt I find it very interesting that the Hawaiian "govt" says its an surety that SWA will be permanent to Hawaii So with the 737 MAX coming into the SWA fleet (if it has not started already) will the aircraft come ETOPS already? How many of these MAX is SWA receiving? Also do you think that they may look at BDA as another destination?

thx for the article swamt I find it very interesting that the Hawaiian "govt" says its an surety that SWA will be permanent to Hawaii So with the 737 MAX coming into the SWA fleet (if it has not started already) will the aircraft come ETOPS already? How many of these MAX is SWA receiving? Also do you think that they may look at BDA as another destination?
We have 800,s that are ETOPS aircraft, we are getting 8 or 9 Max this year all of those are ETOPS equipped, so an actual ETOPS program who knows maybe by the end of 2018.