White Male Club

Ms Tree said:

Does this mean men cannot coment or make decisions about womens rights?  How about straights regarding gay rights?  Shall this apply to all aspects of our life or just the ones you desginate?  Sports?  Insurance?  Medicine?  Where do you draw your arbitrary line?

Curious...what happened to your OP?
Now we are solving all of societies ills instead of fixing the military.
Please stay on your OP.

Ms Tree said:
Well if you knew as much as you thought you did you would know.........Was Commander Davis....?

Umm..."Commander" Davis? ;) Gee! And here I'd thought that rank only existed in US Forces within the Navy and Coast Guard, but I'll again properly bow to your vast storehouse of knowledge....Keep the chuckles coming kid.  :)

Reactions: 1 person
delldude said:
Now we are solving all of societies ills instead of fixing the military.

Aye, There's the rub. Willfully changing military traditions and procedures, just to suit societal whims of a given moment, makes as much "sense" as would reshaping a hammer's head into a cute little star, and then substituting a fir tree's branch for the handle, just because Christmas is coming. Very trendy and all...but good luck trying to hit ANY nail with it.

Ms Tree said:
Does this mean men cannot coment or make decisions about womens rights?  How about straights regarding gay rights?  Shall this apply to all aspects of our life or just the ones you desginate?  Sports?  Insurance?  Medicine?  Where do you draw your arbitrary line?
Seems to me it was just a few days ago that you were trying to make the case that since the GOP only elected white men, they were clearly unqualified to adequately represent the positions of blacks, Hispanics, gays, women, etc...

But now it's OK for you to do the same?...

Or is it only OK for a liberal to comment on everyone else, and leave conservatives with a little white box they can't step out of?...

Reactions: 3 people

eolesen said:
Seems to me it was just a few days ago that you were trying to make the case that since the GOP only elected white men, they were clearly unqualified to adequately represent the positions of blacks, Hispanics, gays, women, etc...

But now it's OK for you to do the same?...

Or is it only OK for a liberal to comment on everyone else, and leave conservatives with a little white box they can't step out of?...

Well put! Tree.........guess it's time to whip out the "Race Card" or is it "Bush's fault" this time ?

Ms Tree said:
Well if you knew as much as you thought you did you would know that the Alabama base was created as a result of a law suit by Yancey Williams and the NAACP.  The NAACP wanted full integration but the Army saw fit to keep it segregated.  It was an experiment that was supposed to fail. 

It was never "supposed to fail". If you actually knew ANYTHING at all about military flight training; you would realize how utterly absurd that perverse fantasy is. Had IP's/instructor-pilots/flight-examiners been given ANY directive to eliminate those men from training; it would easily have been accomplished. Trust me on at least that much. No one goes all the way through to their Wings without scrooching up a bit along the way. One has to look at the student as a whole, and not just the mistakes. Flight evaluations are almost entirely subjective, in that there's one man/person/whatever only along with the undergraduate student...and guess what? Those that were then in the military as instructors-evaluators were evil white males! Go figure. That largely black, civilian Americans were contracted to instruct does nothing to limit what the white officer pilots could have done, had they chosen to, much less have been directed to do. That some students were subjected to unfair scrutinizing and ejection from training, I don't doubt, since it did sometimes happen. That there was often little love to be lost, I don't doubt, but the program most certainly wasn't "supposed to fail", or it would have, and early on at that, and long before combat was even an issue.

delldude said:
East.....

he read the book.

;) I'm thinkin' he just watched the movie, especially with the "Red Tails"/movie-title references. I never heard any of the few I met from that fine unit, proudly (properly so) speak of themselves as other than Tuskegee Airmen.

To the points at hand though: You're posts are on the mark here. Those gentlemen indeed weren't any "social experiment", but were instead, yet another in the long line of segregated units in history, which does nothing to advance the thread's originator's fantasies and agendas.

The bottom line is that defending America or projecting power against our enemies necessarily transcends personal interests and egos. The important thing isn't to fret over which fingernail wants to be painted how or what color, but how best to form our fingers into a lethal fist. Only the most self-obsessed, infantile narcicissts would differ there. The only real question we should ask is that of how we best equip ourselves to do so when needed....Period!

EastUS1 said:

Umm..."Commander" Davis? ;) Gee! And here I'd thought that rank only existed in US Forces within the Navy and Coast Guard, but I'll again properly bow to your vast storehouse of knowledge....Keep the chuckles coming kid.  :)
So I got his rank wrong.  Does not negate the fact that he was not welcomed with open arms.  

EastUS1 said:

It was never "supposed to fail". If you actually knew ANYTHING at all about military flight training; you would realize how utterly absurd that perverse fantasy is. Had IP's/instructor-pilots/flight-examiners been given ANY directive to eliminate those men from training; it would easily have been accomplished. Trust me on at least that much. No one goes all the way through to their Wings without scrooching up a bit along the way. One has to look at the student as a whole, and not just the mistakes. Flight evaluations are almost entirely subjective, in that there's one man/person/whatever only along with the undergraduate student...and guess what? Those that were then in the military as instructors-evaluators were evil white males! Go figure. That largely black, civilian Americans were contracted to instruct does nothing to limit what the white officer pilots could have done, had they chosen to, much less have been directed to do. That some students were subjected to unfair scrutinizing and ejection from training, I don't doubt, since it did sometimes happen. That there was often little love to be lost, I don't doubt, but the program most certainly wasn't "supposed to fail", or it would have, and early on at that, and long before combat was even an issue.
If you want to believe that in 1941 there were a bunch of military brass and politicians who were advocates of blacks in the military knock your self out.  

EastUS1 said:

;) I'm thinkin' he just watched the movie, especially with the "Red Tails"/movie-title references. I never heard any of the few I met from that fine unit, proudly (properly so) speak of themselves as other than Tuskegee Airmen.

To the points at hand though: You're posts are on the mark here. Those gentlemen indeed weren't any "social experiment", but were instead, yet another in the long line of segregated units in history, which does nothing to advance the thread's originator's fantasies and agendas.

The bottom line is that defending America or projecting power against our enemies necessarily transcends personal interests and egos. The important thing isn't to fret over which fingernail wants to be painted how or what color, but how best to form our fingers into a lethal fist. Only the most self-obsessed, infantile narcicissts would differ there. The only real question we should ask is that of how we best equip ourselves to do so when needed....Period!
Bizarre mental gymnastics.

Ms Tree said:
So I got his rank wrong.  Does not negate the fact that he was not welcomed with open arms.  

Oh! Silly me! I'd forgotten about the part where all officers were/are supposed to always get a welcoming hug and have their cheeks kissed! WTF do you think this country is?.....France? ;) Hmm..Now I feel slighted though, as nothing of the sort ever happened to me...Sigh!...Maybe I should have shaved closer. :)

Even the commanding officers of flying units didn't then know for certain they'd live out the week/month or perhaps even the next day. I suppose you would've expected all to put their "petty" concerns aside and host a tickertape parade upon his arrival though?

"So I got his rank wrong."? Are you at all aware of the legal concept of "False in one. False in all"? You're simply (and frankly desperately), petulantly demanding that your blatant ignorance be magically accepted as viable substance that's supportive of your agenda. Nice try.

Ms Tree said:
If you want to believe that in 1941 there were a bunch of military brass and politicians who were advocates of blacks in the military knock your self out.  

I've no such fantasies. Prejudice was huge in that era. What's your supposed "point", if any? Was it felt at the highest levels of government that "we" then needed everything/everyone who could qualify to fly and fight? Yes it was.

If you're really intent on making any supposed case: Why don't you just take a moment to explain to me how the Tuskegee Airmen successfuly got through flight training, if they were "supposed to fail"? I'm ALL ears here.