Why no code sharing between AC and US?

jbjust

Jan 20, 2005
Does anyone know the real reason why US and AC have never signed a code share agreement? UA seems to have a pretty decent code share with AC. US seems pretty happy to code share to some extent with most of the Star Alliance carriers, so there is obviously a benefit. Seems like this would provide incremental revenue and access to new cities to both sides. US flies to many US destinations not served by UA, so can't imagine that it's only because they have UA.

Back around 2000 I think US and AA had a merged frequent flyer program which allowed miles from both programs to be combined. As far as code sharing today,one world and star alliance don't mix.

Back around 2000 I think US and AA had a merged frequent flyer program which allowed miles from both programs to be combined. As far as code sharing today,one world and star alliance don't mix.

Sorry,I thought you said united,now I see it was AC.

HUH???

What does this statement have to do with the question?

I think that question was addressed once in an AboutUS publishing.

But the answer was such a typical BS that I totally dismissed it and forgot what it was.

I think AC just doesn't like US. Lot's of Star Alliance airlines choose to not do business directly with US. That includes also Copa, Avianca, Aegan, Adria, Blue1, Croatia, LOT, Scandinavian, Austrian, Thai, Egyptair, South African and Ethiopian. It is also the same reason why US was excluded from the TA joint venture.

You look at LH and UA, and are able to see that both of these carriers codeshare with almost all the airlines in Star.

Continental as a stand alone Star carrier also, I believe, would not codeshare with US.

I think that question was addressed once in an AboutUS publishing.

But the answer was such a typical BS that I totally dismissed it and forgot what it was.

I think AC just doesn't like US. Lot's of Star Alliance airlines choose to not do business directly with US. That includes also Copa, Avianca, Aegan, Adria, Blue1, Croatia, LOT, Scandinavian, Austrian, Thai, Egyptair, South African and Ethiopian. It is also the same reason why US was excluded from the TA joint venture.

You look at LH and UA, and are able to see that both of these carriers codeshare with almost all the airlines in Star.

Continental as a stand alone Star carrier also, I believe, would not codeshare with US.

Sorry but have to disagree with you there. In the business world, whether or not you "like" another company carries very little weight if any; has to do with your company's strategy, and how you can benefit me financially. Also, if you will notice that as US began expanding their services to Europe, US switched their focus from feeding other carriers' flights to being the carrying the pax to Europe and handing them off to another carrier; e.g. removing the US code from several LH TATL flights over the past few years and signing code shares with European airlines to feed their domestic or regional flights, Spanair, Brussels Airline, TAP, BMI, AirOne (I think it was called), etc.
I do wonder why the whole GoCaribbean network seemed to fall apart after so much emphasis and growth. US just announced that they are ending their code sharing agreement and FF accrual/redemption on UP; WinAir seems to be the only one hanging on by a thread. My assumption is that the revenues are not supporting growth in the region.

;)

That's what I mean... They just don't like to do codesharing with US because it makes no sense in these days when codeshare agreements are being signed all around US Airways.

:D

US has a codeshare agreement with Aegean signed last year and Croatia signed one in June that is soon to be expanded to Split and Dubrovnik. US and AC don't codeshare, but we do a ton of interline connections.

I imagine that a lot of code share expansion could be on hold pending the outcome of US' efforts to merge with AA. It doesn't make sense to establish new codeshares that might only be in effect for a year if US winds up in OneWorld.

I've had 3 AC flights in the last 2 months and was very satisfied with them. Like many US passengers, I would like to see US remain in Star Alliance. On the other hand, if US is always going to be treated like the kid brother, I can understand management's desire to merge with AA.

I had once met with the then CEO of Star Alliance, and asked him about US, and his answer was less than flattering....he wouldn't out and out say it, but his answer led creedence to a general negative opinion of US among other Star members.

To the question "why does US still belong to Star if you have CO and UA," his non-answer was "That's a very good question".....
I have heard that LH is not too fond of US, and find it interesting that many other member airlines have similar opinions. The perception, right or wrong is that US service levels are inferior to other carriers (I am sure many here would agree).

Reactions: 2 people