What's Up With Code Sharing

ClueByFour said:
According to the US sales/account rep who deals with a Fortune 500 company with a heavy presence in/around PIT, this is exactly what the issue was.

UA was selling tickets on US metal for less (in many cases, much less) than the "native" US fare.

The rep indicated that in the case of US, they are "thinking" about offering US metal on the routes they pulled the US code from. If US is planning on building back BOS and LGA and DCA as "focus cities" with P-t-P service, it's not that far fetched.

Certainly more plausible than ditching the UA codeshare, of course.
Clue:

For the first time (I think), I agree with you.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Don't let him get to you Boeing. World Traveler works for Delta....he's about to experience the LOVE of bankruptcy himself. :up:

scot said:
Lets keep at least one thread on track tonight please.
OK, Scot. Be happy to.

Management was made aware in April, 2003 as to how little UA was charging on codeshare fares (Still have copies of the e-mails back and forth with CCY). There was routinely a 20 to 25% difference in certain markets for advance non-refundables. The day before departure, UA was often making a V fare available, undercutting the (outrageous) US walk-up fare by 80%.

I have something to add to this. Ua was deliberately under selling us in a lot of markets. Our sales reps weren't happy with this and in some cases we couldn't even sell our own damn flights. Not only have I dealt with the aggravation and complex issues encompassing a coad share, I deal with UA agents on a daily basis that don't know to protect their passengers on a rule 240 on day of travel regardless of who booked the ticket. If any are reading..... on the day of travel if your flight is delayed or canceled and it is a flight operated by UA it is your responsibilty to protect that passenger regardless of who booked the ticket!!!!! Do not piss off the passenger by forcing them to make unnecessary calls!!!!

If this is what the codeshare is like, what the heck is the Star Alliance going to be like?

All from World Traveler
A new paint job and ad campaign won't turn UAL around.

we remember the great working relations UAL pilots had w/ their company in, say, the summer of 2000. I am still so touched by it that I want to call my congressman and ask them to throw in another billion and a half or so to the money the banks are willing to give to you. Oh, silly me, I'm confused again. There are no banks who will give UAL money unless the government co-signs the loan. you're right, the golden goose analogy is dead... in fact the golden goose is on life support and the priests are standing by to give last rites.

it's a shame that UA's employees didn't fight for its survival BEFORE they went into bankruptcy.

Do these examples explain the "schadenfreude"?

The second comment, maybe, though I think he was more trying to be cute than expressing joy at UA's troubles. The first and third are relatively emotionless observations that, in fact, many people who do not work at DL share.

Y'all act like US never undercut UA either... recently I saw $188 SEA-WAS on US, no min. stay. Only available on UA metal. It goes both ways.

The idea is that by selling a UA ticket on US metal, is that if the passenger makes an itinerary change, UA keeps the whole fee (and v.v.)

The solution to prevent frequent undercutting is to have better control of your inventory.

I remember back about 5-6 weeks ago speaking with a UA Res Sup (helping to reaccom schedule change misconnects as usual) when she said they had gotten a memo that day saying that the lowest booking code they could now book on US codeshare was H (or maybe even Q) class. Apollo no longer gave them availability in the 3-4 lowest booking codes...hence...higher fares booked thru UA. This seemed to happen just about the time that it had become clear to all of us in res that UA was always less expensive on US metal. We thought it was great as the last thing we needed was to send revenue over to UA on an all US itinerary!!

Not sure if this has anything to due with the recent cancellation of codeshare city pairs, but just a thought.