Why not let US1/2/3 and travelling companions travel standby.....

Res

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
for same day travel..this would take the pressure off the ATO agents, and would be customer friendly..if they''ve earned status - it should count for something...let''s be reasonable.....or would this make too much sense....happy customers....[;)]

An excellent idea.

A perfect example was last week when my wife and I took our daughter to college. She was settled in that first day (Of course, first time mom wanted to hang around for days to make sure her little girl was OK). We went stand-by on a 755A instead of staying on an oversold 150P.

From our V fare, I would have paid a reasonable amount for a successful stand-by since I would have more than recouped the amount from additional work that I did once I got home.

The only problem I foresee is that your suggestion may be moot under the policy scheduled to go into effect on 01/01/03, since US1/2/3's will not be traveling on non-refundables.

----------------
On 9/5/2002 9:46:09 AM
The only problem I foresee is that your suggestion may be moot under the policy scheduled to go into effect on 01/01/03, since US1/2/3's will not be traveling on non-refundables.
----------------

Only a US1/2/3 who is attempting to maintain status would be traveling on higher fares. And the majority of fares are non-refundable "discount" fares (after all the meaning of discount is relative to full). There is no direct connection between fare class and refundability or discountness -- but the new rules eliminate the lower fare classes from preferred miles.

Preferred members who earn status this year will still be preferred in 2003 -- even if they're flying on cockroach fares. Their status won't go way until March 2004.

----------------
On 9/5/2002 9:56:45 AM

Stand-By should be allowed, for a price. $100.00 for peak travel and $50.00 for off peak. Oh, Delta just anonuced this, forget it.
----------------

Not exactly..heres part of their press release..
For tickets purchased beginning Sept. 5, 2002, for travel beginning Jan. 1, 2003, Delta will allow customers traveling on most restricted fares to standby for a different flight on the same day of ticketed travel for a fee of $100, except Delta Express, which will charge a fee of $50. Effective immediately, Delta Shuttle will charge a fee of $100 to standby on restricted fares from an off-peak flight to a peak* flight or from a peak to a peak flight. There will be no charge on Delta Shuttle for standby travel on any unrestricted fare, or for standby travel from off-peak to off-peak flights on any fare type.

.. at what point do you collect the 50 or 100?Counter/gate? What happens if you show early,pay the fee, and dont get on until your original later flight,,do you get a refund? Too many unanswered questions..Gates aren't equipped nor have the time to accept moneys for fees etc.

It would be nice for US to FIRST address the change policy after origination when going from peak to offpeak..UNITED does just the change fee and only recalculates when going from offpk to pk..U needs to do the same for time saving approach. But probably Not in this lifetime.