Will AA pursue Alaskan?

the growth is coming regardless of whether is a new pilot base will or not.

DL's growth in seats from SEA is about 50% year over year

your point is valid regarding the as yet unconfirmed reports of a NB pilot base to growth.

they aren't linked.

the growth is coming still there.

duke,
you may very well be right.

AS might find that they made the entirely wrong decision to not work with a carrier on that carrier's terms when it was clear that a large new int'l gateway was coming one way or the other

given that there is other airline that is trying to do the same thing on the west coast, the cost/benefit/strategic variables are different and change the calculus of how any other merger might work, if it were ever considered.

As mentioned in a previous post-I feel this would be a winner for AA.... third times the charm???
It would solve many of the strategic weakness we face out west and would vastly improve our overall performance. I too feel the days of Alaska's "niche" are numbered. As for as the DOJ is concerned a WN merger would be of the same magnitude numbers wise as one with other legacy's. 
It would take a shift in managements current strategy of the LAX focus and would broaden it's commitment to the region.
I know it's been said that AS has no desire to marry up with anyone-When, not if the DL codeshare ends and more and more pressure is applied to the operation and its current business plan I bet they sing a different tune. They (AS) have had it "good" for some time up in SEA and the region-now let the games begin.

If AA could commit to a solid, viable plan for the carriers integration and prove the have learned the lesson of cut, run and dismantle in the west-with a bit of divestiture- it just might be doable. I would love it!

WorldTraveler said:
maybe part of the institution knowledge that AS wants in a partnership with either AA or DL is MD80 maintenance.

the AS-WN merger rumors make more sense than with AA or DL.

given that WN has merged with more than one airline in DL's backyard only to shrink it, DL and WN might be up to the same thing in the PNW where WN has always played second fiddle to AS.

DL might sell its RNP data into several Alaska cities to WN to help soften AS too.

And those approaches are not being done on M80s.
Since Delta is the best legacy currently, and SWA is the best LCC, would SWA and Delta be a good match for the largest airline in the world?   Hmmmmmm.   Why would I ask this?   A very small birdie, surrounded by a flock of crows, told me that 2 eagles have discussed this at one time.  Hope it never comes true.  But, I still say that there still might be another buy out or merger with SWA involved in the future.   WT have you, or any others heard this yet???   You just gotta LUV rumors...

I'm not sure what you are alluding to but I can't see any way that any of the big 4 domestic airlines could ever merge with each other.

It is possible that there will be asset swaps or sales among themselves but a full fledged merger won't happen.

it is also possible that there could be some mergers/acquisitions of smaller airlines by the big 4 but there still has to be evidence it isn't anticompetitive.

given that AS is one of the largest carriers on the west coast, any merger with the big 4 would create the same antitrust problems as with the big 4.

from an antitrust perspective, the only merger that makes any antitrust sense is B6 and WN and there still might be way too much at risk in terms of culture and integration to make the deal worth it.

if you're thinking something else, let's hear it.

Sorry for the confusion.  Just a round a bout way to say I heard this 4th party.  Small rumor that SWA and Dl are talking about doing something.  Just rumors like the one about SWA and Alaska.  I too would not think a full fledged merger would be approved by using 2 of the big 4 as well.  
It looks like something is going to happen at least on the Delta side, with who or what, who knows.  The employees may want to look harder at unionizing like the JB pilots did as they see a possible merger in their future and they will not go at it non-union,  very smart of them, as they will now have a say so...

I would like to hear your rumors about what DL and WN are talking about....

but as much as DL and WN are fierce competitors, they also know how to help each other succeed and allow each other to focus their competitive energies against others.

very anxious to hear what you are referring to although this is the season when big strategic announcements start to come out.

For those who say that Americans growth could or should occur organically in regards to a west coast presence why should they when a "turn key" option is viable and includes a huge loyal market share with it? I guess the same can be said for any legacy eyeing AS. It has been said on many fronts that American is truly not interested in any real domestic growth and it relates to its projected international growth on a percentage basis. One look at our pending fleet orders and current capacity planning will reflect that orders are set for international growth, marginally, to some degree replacement of international equipment, and numbers wise, a huge investment in domestic metal for replacement of older jets-not for growth stateside. It would in my opinion be wise to pull back focus to more than one west coast city and set forth a lasting strategy for the region.

The rumors around WN, DL are the same as the ones around AA.-speculation and wishful thinking mostly by those of us on the front line who KNOW we could do a better job in operating a global carrier than those seated in corner offices-myself included....;-)

There are other options for the west coast gap ie VX/JB...purely on the cosmetic side of things. It remains to be seen if the continued phase of consolidation and said vast changes into the marketplace and regulatory acceptance realm if any of this thinking might someday become reality.

ChockJockey said:
I'd personally rather see AS continue to succeed as a standalone for as long as they can.

Darn right!

WorldTraveler said:
DL's growth in seats from SEA is about 50% year over year

From 2,000 seats to 3,000 seats? Haha..just kidding.  :D

We'll see how well DL does up in SEA. I do not expect to see the type of results they got out of JFK.

given that DL has 200 flights/day from JFK during the peak summer season with over 25K seats including over 40 per day outside of N. America, I don't think DL is even trying to replicate an operation of that size at SEA.

WorldTraveler said:
I would like to hear your rumors about what DL and WN are talking about....

but as much as DL and WN are fierce competitors, they also know how to help each other succeed and allow each other to focus their competitive energies against others.

very anxious to hear what you are referring to although this is the season when big strategic announcements start to come out.
When I get more I will fill you in. Right now just "they might be talking about it"  or "tossing it around"  Your second sentence is a more viable relationship.  Maybe an agreement like Delta wanted with AS where they agree to operate and fill more seats on both and work smarter.  Something like a passenger alliance and feeding each other customers could end up being a win win for both.  Why not work together instead of against?  The best operational legacy working with the best and most profitable LCC for puting butts in seats.  Right now Delta is the top legacy carrier and SWA is by far the top LCC, some sort of agreement could be worked out to keep Delta at the top as well as SWA remaining where they are and even grow more.  WT, I still think AA will be as strong if not stronger and better than Delta once all the merger inner workings are done and completed.  It has been reported that AA's BK reorg is the best in aviation history.  They will be very strong.  So maybe Delta is trying to do something to help minimize that.   CEO's of both are not dumb, maybe they see it as a benifit to work more closely together than spend millions upon millions to try and run each other down.  All of this is just my opinion after being told they might be working on something.  I would not want to see a full on merger, and the DOJ would't agree to it (my opinion) but who is to say an agreement couldn't be worked out to help both of the top 2 airlines right now.  When I hear more I will post...

BTW: FYI,  Our VP of maint just announced retirement by Sept 2014.  He has been VP for many many years and is still a young man.  Some are a little concerned with this announcement and don't know what is to come once he leaves.  He is also the co lead nego for contract talks...

swamt  I often wonder if SWA would try to build or perhaps even join an alliance such as One World   What are your thoughts  and if they were to  would SWA benefit just as well if not better?

You have to have a premium cabin to be up to Oneworld standards... Probably any alliance, for that matter. WN doesn't even have a premium economy product.

swamt,
glad to hear we are on the same page.

just one word of debate, though.

the AA/US merger is nowhere close to being finished.

It is far too early to call it the best of anything.

there are still two airlines flying in separate operations with separate payrolls with the one going into one account.

the only thing that has been merged is the executive leadership.

as for DL and WN, I have a feeling the subject is back to those 10 737Gs which I said would be part of the 717 deal but which WN really wants now.

keep me posted but I see even less need for DL to hold onto those aircraft and I would strongly bet there are a few things that WN could give DL in return for 10 high performance 73Gs which would be ideal for helping WN build out its Texas and Florida to Latin America network.

robbedagain said:
swamt  I often wonder if SWA would try to build or perhaps even join an alliance such as One World   What are your thoughts  and if they were to  would SWA benefit just as well if not better?
This is the AA forum, not the Southwest forum, and the topic is whether AA would buy/merge with Alaska, not whether Southwest might join an alliance.   :cop:

Latest posts

Back