Will the Pilots at Spirit strike?

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
I don't think they will but, it seems to be getting pretty rough at Spirit. The company has recently sued the Pilots union for going against the RLA. Question is, are the Pilots looking for regular mainline pay? They are a regional carrier and are considered an ULCC. With that in mind who are they comparing their pay to? Just curious.

Spirit pilots' pay rates are higher than US Airways single-aisle pilot pay rates before the AA merger (which has nearly doubled the old US pay rates). The Spirit pilots make the same as US Airways widebody A330 captains did prior to the merger. I'd bet that their other employees make crap wages, but qualified pilots aren't as common as the no-education positions like flight attendant or fleet service clerk, so the pilots can command decent money ($185/hr topout for Captains).

Will they strike? Don't know, but they did strike for five days in June, 2010.

Last time I looked at Spirit's numbers, it was profitable. Apparently, Spirit makes plenty of money selling ala carte add-ons to its customers (like permission to bring a carryon bag).

Wow. I had no clue that Spirit pilots were paid more than US prior to merger. I think I remember that 5 day strike now that you mention it. It appears they would then as they have done it before. I wish them luck. It may get a little interesting. Thanks for the info FWAAA.

Spirit pilots' pay rates are higher than US Airways single-aisle pilot pay rates before the AA merger (which has nearly doubled the old US pay rates). The Spirit pilots make the same as US Airways widebody A330 captains did prior to the merger. I'd bet that their other employees make crap wages, but qualified pilots aren't as common as the no-education positions like flight attendant or fleet service clerk, so the pilots can command decent money ($185/hr topout for Captains).

Will they strike? Don't know, but they did strike for five days in June, 2010.

Last time I looked at Spirit's numbers, it was profitable. Apparently, Spirit makes plenty of money selling ala carte add-ons to its customers (like permission to bring a carryon bag).
Those US wages were bankruptcy wages they could not get a raise because of the AW/US feud. Anyway for years Parker told us he could not pay us what the big boys made because we (US) didn't have the revenue. I guess an argument one can prove and another disprove. Spirit is going to try a similar tactic, their problem is the pilot shortage the old supply and demand thing

Here's a little more on the Spirit debacle. Vote is underway. Although Spirit is a bit larger than it was in 2010 (last time they struck) they are still a minor effect to the traveling economy when compared to the other airlines (imo). I am sure the pilots will vote to authorize a strike, the real questions comes; will the gov. release them?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/5ca...3b26cb1341e/spirit-airlines-pilot-strike.html