Northwest Pilots Authorize Strike

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
One day before Bankruptcy Judge Allan Gropper is scheduled to rule on NWA management's request to reject the NWA pilot contract, the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l (ALPA) announced that NWA pilots have authorized a strike if management imposes onerous working conditions on the pilot group. Northwest pilots overwhelmingly voted to authorize their union leaders, by a 92.16 percent margin, to utilize all legal self-help options up to and including a strike.

"We continue to meet with Northwest management in an effort to reach a consensual agreement, but the outcome will be decided by management's actions at the negotiating table," NWA ALPA Chairman Capt. Mark McClain said. "Our goal is not to strike, but we will retain all legal self-help options if management forces our hand."

Over the past year, NWA pilots have made significant sacrifices in an attempt to help save their airline. In December 2004, Northwest pilots agreed to an annual concessionary package valued at $265 million a year that included a 15 percent pay cut. In November 2005, Northwest pilots agreed to another concessionary package, for an interim period, valued at $215 million which included an additional 23.9% pay cut. First-year NWA pilots earn $27,000 per year, while 25-year veteran captains may earn up to $160,000.

PR Newswire

GOOD Luck. We at the bottom understand. If the pilots take this cut they will be making nearly 50% less then two years ago...I have a old Navy friend who is a High School Football Coach. He was a A320 Captain at UAL with 8 years. You keep taking cuts your better off getting nights, weekends and holidays off. Maybe it time to be Home for all the Holidays. Doug will be!!!!

One day before Bankruptcy Judge Allan Gropper is scheduled to rule on NWA management's request to reject the NWA pilot contract, the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l (ALPA) announced that NWA pilots have authorized a strike if management imposes onerous working conditions on the pilot group. Northwest pilots overwhelmingly voted to authorize their union leaders, by a 92.16 percent margin, to utilize all legal self-help options up to and including a strike.

"We continue to meet with Northwest management in an effort to reach a consensual agreement, but the outcome will be decided by management's actions at the negotiating table," NWA ALPA Chairman Capt. Mark McClain said. "Our goal is not to strike, but we will retain all legal self-help options if management forces our hand."

Over the past year, NWA pilots have made significant sacrifices in an attempt to help save their airline. In December 2004, Northwest pilots agreed to an annual concessionary package valued at $265 million a year that included a 15 percent pay cut. In November 2005, Northwest pilots agreed to another concessionary package, for an interim period, valued at $215 million which included an additional 23.9% pay cut. First-year NWA pilots earn $27,000 per year, while 25-year veteran captains may earn up to $160,000.

PR Newswire
may be a strike is exactly what dougie wants. I have very high doubts that NWA mgmt is going to come to consenial agreements with pilots. but good luck to all unionized employees only at ol NWA

Question or two...
Did anyone expect anything other than a strike vote of yes?

And does anyone think that NW management was waiting with bated breath for such results?

I personally don't think they gave/give a hoot about any strike voting results for any of the unions still on the property.

Curious as to what others think....

I wonder if PTO and his SCAB buddies have been secretly training in the desert to obtain that coveted ATP rating...?

i hope NWA can come out, but if you ever heard about what NWA had did with some of its employees, treating them to cancun i think with a full company paid trip and with family and friends, and like i think 2-3 757s had gone there, and it was the same day they were due in court for bankruptcy. i hope they can get out, but seriously,i think the CEOs and all should take a paycut, NOT the employees

i hope NWA can come out, but if you ever heard about what NWA had did with some of its employees, treating them to cancun i think with a full company paid trip and with family and friends, and like i think 2-3 757s had gone there, and it was the same day they were due in court for bankruptcy. i hope they can get out, but seriously,i think the CEOs and all should take a paycut, NOT the employees

Just to set the record straight:

1. The trip was to reward Reservations Sales Agents (who, by the way, are represented by the IAM) who reached a certain threshold for annual sales (I don’t know what the number is, but I think it’s around $1 million)

2. As far as I know, the employees traveled on scheduled NWA flights, not two or three 757s (Northwest operates A320s between MSP and CUN)

Geez, Northwest can’t win with you guys one way or another. They take a bunch of unionized employees on a promised trip and get ripped by everyone else, but if they hadn’t awarded the trip the IAM still would have howled.

When the pilots go on strike, will NWA use foreign or contract pilots to keep the airplanes flying?

When the pilots go on strike, will NWA use foreign or contract pilots to keep the airplanes flying?
I do not believe foreign pilots are allowed to fly any us air carrier due to FAA regulations. contract pilots probably wouldnt do much different than foreign pilots.

Question or two...

And does anyone think that NW management was waiting with bated breath for such results?

I personally don't think they gave/give a hoot about any strike voting results for any of the unions still on the property.

This NWA employee agrees on all three counts....

Question or two...

I believed that the pilots would not strike. Time will tell if they do and if so, how many will SCAB.

NWA management doesn't care if the pilots do strike. They will get enough SCABS to fly till they merge with Delta.

NWA cares NOTHING about their employees except the few at the very top.

Actually, all the remaining unions talking about striking missed the opportunity for a strike to have any effect when the mechanics walked.

I have a question too. If the pilots do strike how will they then feel about the SCAB mechanics at NWA? Not one pilot better say a bad word about them. If they were willing to fly SCAB maintained aircraft why should they care if they cross their strike line?

Looks like the judge isn't going to make a ruling this week. Doesn't even have NW scheduled in court.

http://www.nysb.uscourts.gov/calendars/alg.html

Geez, Northwest can’t win with you guys one way or another. They take a bunch of unionized employees on a promised trip and get ripped by everyone else, but if they hadn’t awarded the trip the IAM still would have howled.

Get use to it. The same thing happened at everyone of the carriers in BK. It's a free ticket to try and flame. Apparently it worked on you. :p

Latest posts