Winglets

ngneer

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Future 737-700's will come with winglets. It makes good sense now that SWA is flying more long-haul flights. They will also be able to fly longer range flights from airports with short runways like ISP, PVD & BUR.

Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-700 Fleet Takes Wing with Sleek New Look

Great news for us in PVD. I would expect LAS to be the first new nonstop city to be announced from PVD. Currently PHX was as far as WN could fly nonstop from PVD. PVD - PHX is 1973 nm. PVD - LAS is 2047 nm. With winglets providing an extra 115 nm, LAS is now within reach. However, true transcontinental nonstops will still require a longer runway.

Yeah I remember the good ol days when our 737''s were coming with winglets too. Unfortunatly for us they''re now flying around in Quantas colors! They do look good though!

----------------
On 6/17/2003 6:11:14 PM WNjetdoc wrote:

Actually the entire fleet, (exception of -200 of course), will either be retro-fitted, or come newly delivered with the winglets.

----------------​

Are you sure? Was sure I read that only the -700s would be retrofitted with the ''horns''.

----------------
On 6/17/2003 7:01:09 AM ngneer wrote:

Future 737-700''s will come with winglets. It makes good sense now that SWA is flying more long-haul flights. They will also be able to fly longer range flights from airports with short runways like ISP, PVD & BUR.

----------------​

Now if WN would only change their mind on the new paint scheme and come up with yet another new one that wasn''t hideous....

According to the Boeing website, the blended winglets are only available for the -700 and -800 aircraft. But it sounds like the entire fleet of -700s will be fitted out with winglets over a two year period.

Actually, the "Blended Winglets" just received FED approval/certified for 737-300 on May 30th, 2003

I''m sure these will be coming soon, too.

----------------
On 6/17/2003 11:51:50 PM lownslow wrote:

Now if WN would only change their mind on the new paint scheme and come up with yet another new one that wasn''t hideous....

----------------​
You know I hated that new paint scheme too when it first came out. But for some reason the darn thing has grown on me and I really like it now!

----------------
On 6/18/2003 9:01:57 AM Airmech737 wrote:

Actually, the "Blended Winglets" just received FED approval/certified for 737-300 on May 30th, 2003

----------------​
Actually, there are no plans to retrofit them on the 300/500s. The airframes won''t be around long enough for the economics to work. Plus the 300/500s are incresingly relegated to the very short-haul routes.

----------------
On 6/18/2003 12:31:25 PM N421LV wrote:

----------------
On 6/18/2003 9:01:57 AM Airmech737 wrote:

----------------​
Actually, there are no plans to retrofit them on the 300/500s. The airframes won''t be around long enough for the economics to work. Plus the 300/500s are incresingly relegated to the very short-haul routes.

----------------​
I don''t sit around in the meetings with the "brains of the operation" but our Maintenance Mangager informed us the -300 will be retro-fitted.

I wouldn''t bet my life on it, nor would I even put up 1000.00, but that is what we were told. Take it for what its worth. Managers have been known to be wrong, thats for sure, lol.

As for the airframes not being around long enough....do you expect the -300 to be gone in 3 years? We are supposed to recoup the money it costs to retro-fit the -300''s in 3 years, after that its gravey money.

It seems, N421, you and I have different info on the subject. I was just passing info I was told. You may be correct...any other inputs?

----------------
On 6/18/2003 5:31:57 PM WNjetdoc wrote:

It seems, N421, you and I have different info on the subject. I was just passing info I was told. You may be correct...any other inputs?

----------------​

I''m just line-swine, too. It''s what I heard recently from a check airman who is usually a reliable source on these things.