WN takes aim at Skybus

MiAAmi

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Monday, June 4, 2007
Skybus fare war? Southwest offers $15 Ding! fares to Columbus
Could there be a fare war brewing between discount-giant Southwest and fledgling ultra-low-cost carrier Skybus? Skybus' headquarters and base of Columbus, Ohio, is one of two destinations featured prominently this morning (along with Detroit) as part of Southwest's "Ding!" fares. Those Ding! fares are special Internet fares that Southwest offers only through a downloaded application. Southwest's Columbus fares in this morning's Ding! offering were going for as little as $15 each way (plus taxes and fees) from various cities, including Albany, Baltimore, Buffalo, Philadelphia and St. Louis.

From several other cities, Southwest's Columbus fares were going for as little as $30 each way -– including on at least one cross-country route (Oakland, Calif.). This morning's Southwest Ding! fares must be purchased by 10 p.m. ET tonight and are good for various travel dates, depending on each route. Skybus, of course, has made national headlines by promising that at least 10 seats on each flight will be sold for just $10, plus taxes and fees. It was not immediately clear whether Southwest's low Ding! fares for Columbus were aimed at Skybus or just a standard promotion aimed at the Columbus market.

Monday, June 4, 2007
Skybus fare war? Southwest offers $15 Ding! fares to Columbus
Could there be a fare war brewing between discount-giant Southwest and fledgling ultra-low-cost carrier Skybus? Skybus' headquarters and base of Columbus, Ohio, is one of two destinations featured prominently this morning (along with Detroit) as part of Southwest's "Ding!" fares. Those Ding! fares are special Internet fares that Southwest offers only through a downloaded application. Southwest's Columbus fares in this morning's Ding! offering were going for as little as $15 each way (plus taxes and fees) from various cities, including Albany, Baltimore, Buffalo, Philadelphia and St. Louis.

From several other cities, Southwest's Columbus fares were going for as little as $30 each way -– including on at least one cross-country route (Oakland, Calif.). This morning's Southwest Ding! fares must be purchased by 10 p.m. ET tonight and are good for various travel dates, depending on each route. Skybus, of course, has made national headlines by promising that at least 10 seats on each flight will be sold for just $10, plus taxes and fees. It was not immediately clear whether Southwest's low Ding! fares for Columbus were aimed at Skybus or just a standard promotion aimed at the Columbus market.

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!
DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

When you think about it, even at $10, SX adds on your bags and your meals. In truth, $30 one way is cheaper than $10 on SX. Moreover, I would much rather fly WN. SX seems to have trouble staying on time, and WN always seems to have the best crews.

With that said, I think it shows airlines are taking WN seriously. This may get interesting in the future, especially as SX opens new routes.

In Truth? Maybe simple math is too tough for you. $10 on SX. $30 (if you can find it) on WN. Ok, add a drink and a sandwich to SX...total now $20. Ok, ok, now add a checked bag on SX...total now $25. Hmmm still looks like SX is $5 lower than WN. :huh: So in truth? Do the math.

When you think about it, even at $10, SX adds on your bags and your meals. In truth, $30 one way is cheaper than $10 on SX. Moreover, I would much rather fly WN. SX seems to have trouble staying on time, and WN always seems to have the best crews.

With that said, I think it shows airlines are taking WN seriously. This may get interesting in the future, especially as SX opens new routes.

In Truth? Maybe simple math is too tough for you. $10 on SX. $30 (if you can find it) on WN. Ok, add a drink and a sandwich to SX...total now $20. Ok, ok, now add a checked bag on SX...total now $25. Hmmm still looks like SX is $5 lower than WN. :huh: So in truth? Do the math.
Pray you don't have a mechanical... All their mx is contracted out.

Operating from uncongested airports will help keep the carrier's costs, and therefore, its fares, down, Diffenderffer says, as will outsourcing virtually all of its maintenance and ground handling. Beyond the airline's small management team, about the only employees will be the pilots and flight attendants. Most others will be contract workers.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...us-launch_N.htm

So the only mechanics that can fix an airlines planes are THAT airlines mechanics? Skybus's mechanics are fully certified, fully qualified and fully trained. You should stop by their hangar for a tour. You know the hangar...where every night their airplanes go through their nightly maintenance checks. Stop believing everything you read in the papers and do some research.

Pray you don't have a mechanical... All their mx is contracted out.
Operating from uncongested airports will help keep the carrier's costs, and therefore, its fares, down, Diffenderffer says, as will outsourcing virtually all of its maintenance and ground handling. Beyond the airline's small management team, about the only employees will be the pilots and flight attendants. Most others will be contract workers.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...us-launch_N.htm

So the only mechanics that can fix an airlines planes are THAT airlines mechanics? Skybus's mechanics are fully certified, fully qualified and fully trained.

You are correct I don't know the true dynamics of the maintenance plan SkyBus has but again it's another decline in the way airlines run. I know someone who has looked into their program. This person informed me that they have a dedicated contract service for their aircraft who's mechanics are called out by Skybus Maintenance Controllers.

IMO If it's your Bird the only people that care about it are your mechanics. Here the Company has his or her:

Background Checks
Employment Records
Training Records
Drug testing information

I am sure there is more information that would be useful to having employees.

Although, the point that I am getting at is we have Line Mechanics who fix small problems during the day. They may MEL or MX note and set up the fix. Many times the same mechanic may see that airplane for the overnight.

Delays happen but are minimized by have employees on site. I know this because I see it everyday.

Again this is my opinion.

Only time will tell if the Skybus program will work. I can tell first hand, our program works beautifully.

Finally, let's just agree to disagree and check back in two years to see how their program is working out.

You are correct I don't know the true dynamics of the maintenance plan SkyBus has but again it's another decline in the way airlines run. I know someone who has looked into their program. This person informed me that they have a dedicated contract service for their aircraft who's mechanics are called out by Skybus Maintenance Controllers.

IMO If it's your Bird the only people that care about it are your mechanics. Here the Company has his or her:

Background Checks
Employment Records
Training Records
Drug testing information

I am sure there is more information that would be useful to having employees.

Although, the point that I am getting at is we have Line Mechanics who fix small problems during the day. They may MEL or MX note and set up the fix. Many times the same mechanic may see that airplane for the overnight.

Delays happen but are minimized by have employees on site. I know this because I see it everyday.

Again this is my opinion.

Only time will tell if the Skybus program will work. I can tell first hand, our program works beautifully.

Finally, let's just agree to disagree and check back in two years to see how their program is working out.
--------------------------------------------------
Time will tell....I'm sure someone said the same thing back in the 70's about another airline with a "different way of doing things"....

In two years when most of your fuel hedged profits are diminished, and "gary" wants to experiment with skybus's or what ever the latest and greatest low in this industry has to offer program....

Yea, then we will revisit this.....

Alfred Kahn was an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!