Wokeness

And it is not indicative of ones portfolio performance.

All depends where you put your monies, doesn't it?
Obviously where you put your money matters. Read the article, fidelity says people in their funds have done well since bottom in 2009.

Did you put your money under a mattress from 2008 until 2016? Thats about the only way a 401K could have "gone to hell" during those years. BUT...if Trump said they did, they I guess they must have.

Obviously where you put your money matters. Read the article, fidelity says people in their funds have done well since bottom in 2009.
You should reread it.

The average 401(k) balance rose by 466% since the market bottom in March 2009.

You know how to get an average, don't you? So it really doesn't address those who weren't 'the average', does it?

Did you put your money under a mattress from 2008 until 2016? Thats about the only way a 401K could have "gone to hell" during those years. BUT...if Trump said they did, they I guess they must have.
Great article by The Atlantic on how you've been mislead. You should read it.

You should reread it.

You know how to get an average, don't you? So it really doesn't address those who weren't 'the average', does it?

You’re cracking me up. Anything to pump up your hero!

You should reread it.

Well then....the average 401K rose quite a bit. The people with money in their mattress or who had a bad investment advisor, or decided that they wanted their money in individual stocks were on the low end of the returns. But an average return of almost 500% is far from "going to hell". But....if I think about hell and heaven, all the great people I know are going to hell (or so I've been told) so maybe going to hell ain't that bad after all.

Facts are 466% average, move forward, forget about your hero.
Like I said before, if you're in it for the long haul.
Fidelity examined the accounts of 1.64 million individuals who have had the
same 401(k) account since Q1 2009, and compared their current 401(k) account balance with their
average balance 10 years ago.
The Atlantic article focuses on a smaller time frame, specifically a three year period.

Try again?

Well then....the average 401K rose quite a bit. The people with money in their mattress or who had a bad investment advisor, or decided that they wanted their money in individual stocks were on the low end of the returns. But an average return of almost 500% is far from "going to hell". But....if I think about hell and heaven, all the great people I know are going to hell (or so I've been told) so maybe going to hell ain't that bad after all.
You are using a ten year period as the metric, article focused on three years, 2009-2011.

You are using a ten year period as the metric, article focused on three years, 2009-2011.
Yes, if those individuals in group from 09-11 kept investments they too would be up. If you’re picking dates to fit your narrative you will succeed.

I wonder why they only included the first 2 years of Obama's presidency and not 8 years. Oh...so they could illustrate how 401k's "went to hell".

Okay....immediately after the near collapse of the economy, 401k's "went to hell". The trouble was - Obama was president and had the stock market under him for another 6 years. IT would be great to pick and choose what we want to compare, but the fact is that Obama took office and the stock market was at 7,949. And by gosh...between 2009 and 2011, it went down. But when he turned over the reins to the best president in this nations history, the stock market was at 19,827. Now...from 7949 to 19727...is that "going to hell"? Only in Trumps mind.

I wonder why they only included the first 2 years of Obama's presidency and not 8 years. Oh...so they could illustrate how 401k's "went to hell".

Okay....immediately after the near collapse of the economy, 401k's "went to hell". The trouble was - Obama was president and had the stock market under him for another 6 years. IT would be great to pick and choose what we want to compare, but the fact is that Obama took office and the stock market was at 7,949. And by gosh...between 2009 and 2011, it went down. But when he turned over the reins to the best president in this nations history, the stock market was at 19,827. Now...from 7949 to 19727...is that "going to hell"? Only in Trumps mind.
You totally missed the point. It was three years for openers (and after that too) and it was addressing the losses for the recession, as I pointed out before. The article pointed out how those peoples portfolio's lost some 25% at the time, and, to recover, would need to make a 33% gain, just to break even, which, for many, never happened. Over the years, they possibly would have made gains, but who knows what mixes they chose.

With that said, Trump was correct in His assessment and claims of the 401 issue, at the time.

Yes, if those individuals in group from 09-11 kept investments they too would be up. If you’re picking dates to fit your narrative you will succeed.
The claim from KC was over Trump and His comments about 401's during His campaign, and were spot on, at the time. You have no idea whether or not their claims would be up or down as nobody knows what they invested in or whether they retired or else. You should realize with an average, excessive gains and excessive losses also figure into the average.

No picking and choosing.

The claim from KC was over Trump and His comments about 401's during His campaign, and were spot on, at the time. You have no idea whether or not their claims would be up or down as nobody knows what they invested in or whether they retired or else. You should realize with an average, excessive gains and excessive losses also figure into the average.

No picking and choosing.
Of course an average consists of lower and higher but retirees should be invested, albeit some safer options, but the reality is since 2009 bottom, people should have done well.