Are you Sitting Down?

That would be a large and very expensive gamble. I think they really want Delta. With such fleet and engine incompatibility.

I don't know i knda thought the same thing - USAir offer a sweet deal to see if UAL will counter, which i think they will... On the other hand 8 billion is not peanuts.

That would be a large and very expensive gamble. I think they really want Delta. With such fleet and engine incompatibility.

I don't see United getting into a bidding war with US in the purchase of DL. If US is successful in acquiring DL in a hostel takeover, I do not see them leaving STAR. If and when, that a big IF, we get an Open Skies Agreement, I foresee Lufthansa and United taking the merged airline over.

No, I don't see this move as a ploy by Parker to drive up the price and/or force UA's hand. To me, this is another shrewd move by Parker. He knows more than anyone else that consolidation is going to happen. I think he wants to be the one to dictate the pecking order, rather than jump in late and be left hanging. But I don't think UA can afford to just let this merger take place without an attempt at a counter-offer. Other than Delta or a current-US Airways, Contintental is the only other merger candidate that makes strategic sense for UA. I don't think UA has the juice to attempt to pull off going after US Airways. If it happened, I think US would be the ones hunting UA. And I don't think Parker has interest in UA. And the only clean way to merger UA and CO is for CO to be the acquiring carrier. I think that's a VERY conceivable scenario if US-DL ends up happening. I think both CO and UA would have no choice. But it would be ugly. The easier solution for UA would be to counter-offer on Delta. Bankruptcy would afford them the ability to properly rightsize operations, fleet, facilities and employees as painlessly as possible. So I'm betting on a UA counter-offer in the next two weeks.

Latest posts