Woman Dies on American Airlines Flight

Incorrect. The F/A manual approved by the FAA states very specifically that the f/as are responsible for checking all safety equipment--including oxygen levels on O2 cylinders--as part of pre-flight duties.
The manual specifies which f/a is responsible for the safety equipment in a particular area of the cabin.

That is correct.

Message from Lauri Curts Regarding Flight 896

We are saddened by the death of a passenger on board Flight 896 from Haiti to New York’s JFK Airport last weekend. I am fully confident that the crew on this flight handled the situation in accordance with all our procedures. Our flight attendants are fully trained to react to emergencies with the onboard emergency equipment, which in this case involved the use of oxygen and the Automatic External Defibrillator. I support the professionalism, efforts and compassion of this crew and all of our crews in dealing with these very difficult situations. I join American Airlines in extending my deepest sympathy to the grieving family.

Among the nonsequiturs, they did CPR after the O2 supposedly 'didn't work'. That right there tells you the story teller is medically naive; you don't use oxygen on a person who isn't breathing, you do CPR. No way there were no O2 bottles working. No way the defib wasn't working; it is practically foolproof. The other clue was that with 2 drs and 2 nurses, the pilot didn't land; clearly they informed the cockpit that there was no reason to land; i.e. the pax was dead, beyond any help. The pax was probably already dead by the time the crew was called. Add that the coroner ruled death by natural causes and the medical professionals made no supporting statements to back up the deceased's family. What you have is the media jumping on a distressed, grieving, hysterical family member, medically unknowledgeable and in denial, accusing the airline. There is no one else cited in the article.

You are correct from the Company position. But that is not what they are taught at FU.

I go to FU 1X a year and they ALWAYS stress the gauges and seals. They repeat themselves about 8 times and ask us to review it verbally another 8. If your wife learned otherwise she either didn't pay attention or she had a slacker instructor.

I go to FU 1X a year and they ALWAYS stress the gauges and seals. They repeat themselves about 8 times and ask us to review it verbally another 8. If your wife learned otherwise she either didn't pay attention or she had a slacker instructor.

You are correct. That info came from a post on another BB. It is not my wife's position.

The media has been all over this story without getting the facts straight. Like many of you attest, AA is required to check the safety equipment regularly. As a longtime AA flier, I just don't believe that all of the safety equipment on the plane would be simply "not working".

This is clearly a tragic incident for the lady and her family, and no one is trying to minimize their loss. But to accuse AA of gross safety negligence without substantiation (again, a charge parried by the first media cycle of this story) is irresponsible.

I am a bit confused. I thought the only o2 onboard an aircraft is the ones used for the masks in an emergency. As far as 02 tanks on a plane I thought they are only their at the request of a passenger with medical notation and paid for by the passenger.

If I am wrong where does this 02 appear on the plane and why is it there

Yes you are wrong O2 is carried on a/c as a part of the emergency equipment.

The media has been all over this story without getting the facts straight. Like many of you attest, AA is required to check the safety equipment regularly. As a longtime AA flier, I just don't believe that all of the safety equipment on the plane would be simply "not working".

This is clearly a tragic incident for the lady and her family, and no one is trying to minimize their loss. But to accuse AA of gross safety negligence without substantiation (again, a charge parried by the first media cycle of this story) is irresponsible.

The media hasn't cared about facts for decades. They only care about what will sell papers and attract viewers and click-thru's.

I am a bit confused. I thought the only o2 onboard an aircraft is the ones used for the masks in an emergency. As far as 02 tanks on a plane I thought they are only their at the request of a passenger with medical notation and paid for by the passenger.

If I am wrong where does this 02 appear on the plane and why is it there
Standard equipment includes:
Small portable emergency bottles. More than two, and the F/A would have checked the gage before "trying" the bottle.
Drop down masks are on their own system, generally fed by oxygen generators.
The cockpit is on its own system, generally fed by a bank of large oxygen bottles.

Wow, I thought this was an AVIATION board.. the level of ignorance on this topic is appalling... Not an AA FA ..but the imbeciles in the media, some posters, and the clearly ignorant and litigious "family" are absolutely disgusting.. A few basic fact checks would show that this was a big airbus.. extended overwater equipped. which means TWELVE POBs and a very experienced crew. who would have checked their aircraft per their SOP and FAA regs...for their OWN safety if nothing else... The latest media accounts.. running away from their initial bs acounts to the extent they are deleting their tracks and updating stories to where the inital NEVER EXISTED!.. is that there were 2 docs 2 nurses and 2 EMTs.. in addition to a fast-acting "by the book" crew.. the EMTs were doing CPR.. 2 POBs were EMPTIED into the PAX (corpse) and the AED was perfectly functional... The crew and equipment were perfect..as usual.. this was a routine situation and remember what AA crews did on 9/11 ...which was definitely not routine ..before we let UNINFORMED (and un-uniformed) IGNORANT MORONS in the old and new media pontificate.

absolutely correct. at us we have to make sure the needle is in the green . that is part of our preflight. like 700 says i am sure other airlines follow this practice. if i am not mistaken it's actually a no go item if more than 1 o2 bottle is found empty.
"
not exactly- pressure gauge 1200-1500 psi honey.. " in green band range" is for Halon.. guess you need recurrent.. more likely and hope. you're just an old Eastie furloughed imposter.. Blow any slides lately? And it differs by aircraft how many can be "down" but maintenance in the West at least replaces them IMMEDIATELY if ANY use once we get on the ground..they are an MEL of the highest priority...

Wow, I thought this was an AVIATION board.. the level of ignorance on this topic is appalling... Not an AA FA ..but the imbeciles in the media, some posters, and the clearly ignorant and litigious "family" are absolutely disgusting.. A few basic fact checks would show that this was a big airbus.. extended overwater equipped. which means TWELVE POBs and a very experienced crew. who would have checked their aircraft per their SOP and FAA regs...for their OWN safety if nothing else... The latest media accounts.. running away from their initial bs acounts to the extent they are deleting their tracks and updating stories to where the inital NEVER EXISTED!.. is that there were 2 docs 2 nurses and 2 EMTs.. in addition to a fast-acting "by the book" crew.. the EMTs were doing CPR.. 2 POBs were EMPTIED into the PAX (corpse) and the AED was perfectly functional... The crew and equipment were perfect..as usual.. this was a routine situation and remember what AA crews did on 9/11 ...which was definitely not routine ..before we let UNINFORMED (and un-uniformed) IGNORANT MORONS in the old and new media pontificate.

The ignorance is not appaling, what is appaling and obnoxious is someone who thinks he knows everything and who uses that uninformed and false belief to call everyone else ignorant.