World Cup

I could go on and on for days...

Here's the short version: It's an amazing event for an amazing sport. I can't think of anything else besides soccer that's so transcendent. I truly believe it can change the world.

Go USA indeed!

Related: Thank God for the DVR.

Watched the game at work. The end was a nail biter. Not a flower but as I understand it this is the first time the US has been in the world up? If so, nice opening game.

Reactions: 1 person
I could go on and on for days...

Here's the short version: It's an amazing event for an amazing sport. I can't think of anything else besides soccer that's so transcendent. I truly believe it can change the world.

Go USA indeed!

Related: Thank God for the DVR.
thank who?

Given that the vast majority of the rest of the world revolves around soccer or what they call football, it is a tribute to the globalization of sports that US soccer is beginning to command the attention it is.

I believe Atlanta is getting a new MLS franchise.

So far, Brazil is delivering a decent World Cup despite fears that massive protests could take place and that Brazil was way behind schedule for the work it committed to.

The World Cup is a time when the best of the best in the globe's game can be seen doing their stuff.

The Brazil- Mexico game today was one of the best examples of the best of the best fighting it out with no one getting points but one Mexican goal keeper's star shining a lot higher in the southern skies.

And, yes, team USA looks great and represents the cross section of American culture as perhaps no other World Cup team does. It is a tribute to soccer in America that team USA players can be seen in teams throughout the world and that coaching experience comes from some of Europe's best teams.

Team USA has been to 8 World Cups, IIRC, and USA fans are the top ticket buyers of any country other than host Brazil.

Reactions: 1 person
I work retail and my dept is right across from the TV dept. We were quiet so it just worked out. Don't hate. Lol

makes it a little more "western hemisphere viewer friendly" to have the Cup in the western hemisphere (perhaps the Euros aren't so excited) but I'm glad the DVR is keeping you connected to the beautiful game, Latin style. :)

you know DL flies to Brazil and has partnership agreements to every World Cup site? Tickets are still for sale.

hey fraud,

he works for DL and has said as much - this is an aviation forum.

It isn't rocket science to put together that someone who talks about how much they enjoy soccer might actually make an effort to go to a World Cup. how many have you been to in your decades long career?

maybe he or you or Q or some other airline employees can tell us about the World Cups they have gone to.

Meanwhile, the economy and morale in Spain just took a major hit today. You can't help but hurt for them.

Sports does mimic life in so many ways.

No Xavi= suicide move.

No Juan Mata= not much better...
so, sir, where do you see this whole thing headed? Sporting events actually take place because all the analysts can't know what really will take place with any more certainty than you or me or Adam's nephew.

Holland looks amazingly strong. The press in Brazil is feeling a little iffy about the hometown team. And I would expect a Mexican goal keeper happened to have hit the payday of his career since he just happens to have been released by a 2nd string French team recently and is not under contract.

I see the US taking it all, of course...

Germany is solid, and Belgium is underrated. Bosnia has a great shot at advancing...

Brazil needs to remember what jogo bonito actualy means; maybe borrow a witch doctor to summon the ghost of Socrates (the player, not the philosopher). Argentina looked muted, and Uruguay needs some self control. Colombia can't be counted out, and with Spain gone, the Dutch will now be an "easy" pick, if only because "Robben" is easier to pronounce than "Schweinsteiger."

P.S. Ochoa's a D-bag, but even I have to admit he played out of his mind yesterday. IMO, he never left Ajaccio because he likes the idea of being a big fish in a littl(er) pond. We'll see where he ends up...