World Cup

your post put a smile on my face... really. the airline stuff can all wait for your daily updates and analysis. :)

promise you'll give an updated analysis by tomorrow end of day in Brazil?

what do you know if my US soccer email update just popped into my inbox containing this gem:

U.S. captain Clint Dempsey gave the USA a dream start against Ghana, scoring the 5th fastest goal in FIFA World Cup history after only 30 seconds had elapsed in the match. "One Nation. One Team. 23 Stories." also take a look at the Texan whose 38th international goal made him the first American to score in three separate World Cup tournaments.

here's hoping team USA is better prepared for the oppressive heat of Manaus than Portugal.

I'm pretty sure that God doesn't take sides in the global game

"God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap."

great story today on the German influence on the US team.

The Cold War may be over, but its effects are alive and well on Klinsmann’s U.S. World Cup squad, which includes five German-Americans: midfielders Jones, 32, and Julian Green, 19; and defenders Fabian Johnson, 26, Timmy Chandler, 24, and John Brooks, 21. From a demographic perspective, it makes perfect sense that the U.S.’s military influence in Germany would extend to the soccer field. When Jones was born in 1981, more than 248,000 American troops were stationed in Germany (compared to 40,304 at the start of 2014). One can only imagine the soccer heights the U.S. might scale if it had a similar military presence in Brazil, but alas, there were only 222 U.S. troops there in 1981.

All five of the U.S.’s German-Americans—and all six who were on the 30-man preliminary World Cup roster—have an African-American serviceman father and a white German mother. Explains Jones, “When you see a half-American guy’s name in Germany, the first thing you ask is, Are you American-German? And he will say, Yes. The next question is, Was your dad a soldier? Yes. Then, Are Mom and Dad still together? No.” With a wry laugh he adds, “It’s always the same.”

But Klinsmann has taken the pursuit of dual nationals to a new level, chasing players who could have chosen to represent Germany, Mexico, Norway (midfielder Mix Diskerud) and even Iceland (forward Aron Jóhannsson). The rules are relatively simple: A player is tied to a country for good once he has played for its senior national team in an official (non-friendly) competition. Those who have participated in official youth games for one country can file a one-time switch to play for another country’s senior team as long as they have citizenship.

http://soccer.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/06/18/german-americans-usa-usmnt-world-cup-klinsmann-jones-chandler-green-johnson-brooks?eref=sihp

I see the US taking it all, of course...

Germany is solid, and Belgium is underrated. Bosnia has a great shot at advancing...

Brazil needs to remember what jogo bonito actualy means; maybe borrow a witch doctor to summon the ghost of Socrates (the player, not the philosopher). Argentina looked muted, and Uruguay needs some self control. Colombia can't be counted out, and with Spain gone, the Dutch will now be an "easy" pick, if only because "Robben" is easier to pronounce than "Schweinsteiger."

P.S. Ochoa's a D-bag, but even I have to admit he played out of his mind yesterday. IMO, he never left Ajaccio because he likes the idea of being a big fish in a littl(er) pond. We'll see where he ends up...
If the US does take it, it will prove that you can buy the world cup.

So Spain, the last winner, is going home as is England. My passion with soccer started back in 1970, when Brazil beat Italy 4-1 in Mexico. It died out in 1977 because the game wasn't as popular here as it was in Europe. The last game I watched was when Italy took it in '06.

The 1970 cup was the end of an era for the FIFA of that time, because it was kind of a tie breaker since Italy and Brazil had 2 cups(along with Uruguay) and the winner will lead in world cup victories. Brazil had Pele back then.

In 1974 I was a Netherlands fan(and I was living in Italy and had to put up with a 100% Italian Fan club in that country!). Their star player was Johan Cruyff. His Ajax team were taking European and International and Intercontinental cups for quite a few years. So I cheered for the Dutch who got a lot farther than the Italians, since they went to the final where they lost to the host country of Germany.

http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/worldcup/germany1974/index.html

Although the USA was eliminated by Belgium, even I have to say that soccer in the USA has come a long way from my days of not finding anybody interested in the sport. At one time the US was below par, but now they can rank with the rest of the world. No small accomplishment.

Since Italy's elimination-they weren't the soccer maestros that I knew-my focus is on my second team of choice-The Netherlands! In the history of the World Cup no European team has won it in the Americas.

if they are, they might be doing better financially than those who invest in stocks and watch the Cup.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-the-world-cup-is-surprisingly-bad-for-stocks-2014-06-17?link=mw_home_kiosk

"After studying more than 1,100 soccer matches, the researchers found that, on average, a given country’s loss in the World Cup elimination stage is followed by its stock market the next day producing a return that is significantly below average. "
The Bull is getting tired anyway!

Back