would 3% make a difference?

Depends on how you measure "average". Should we in include AA if we are measuring ourselves against everyone else? Probably not, because we are measuring where we are against everyone else, including us distorts the comparasion. Should we include USAIRWAYS? Probably not because they are working under a contract that became amendable several years ago and may get retro. Should we include UPS? Probably yes because their is no difference in qualifications, both simply look for heavy turbine experience and there really is not much difference between working a freighter or passenger aircraft. When UPS negotiates with their mechanics they include AA in the comparator group and historically the wages were around the same. In 2002 we made more than UPS. The business has not changed much and UPS mechanics have not made materiel gains over the last ten years, they simply kept pace with inflation.

The union has been too gracious in simply allowing the company to pick and choose who is in the comparator group. When I first started in this process they would include WN in areas where it helped the company arguement such as mechanics per airplane but then exclude them where it helped ours such as pay and benifits. After several rounds of debate they started including them in pay and benifits as well. Prior to 2003, when we made more than them, the company always included WN.

So, in really the average wage paid to other mechanics in this industry is much higher than $36/hr. Include UPS and eliminate AA and USAIR because both are working under deals that became amendable years ago and the average goes well past $40/hr.
I wonder how many would say we can't compare us to UPS/FEDEX just for the fact that they are cargo carriers even though we (AMT's) do the same work?

How about this for comparison-----------------

We were always told our hourly pay was below average because we always had a DB pension....making our "total compensation" above industry average......
Well our pensions are effectively frozen.....so where is our industry average hourly rate?

Not interested in giving up anything for a buy out, for the old guys. They got their's when they took a pay raise and gave us the B scale.

Reactions: 3 people
You act as if this is new. Its not. Corporations have not changed, they are as greedy as they ever were. Whats changed is the calibre of Union Leadership thats quick to blame the membership for their inability to lead. The companies are simply capitalizing of the weakness of the Unions.

Workers never went on strike because they could afford to, they went on strike because they knew if they gave then the company would keep coming back for more. Our Union leadership told us to give in 2003, they told us that if we did the Court would take into consideration what we gave up and that in 2006 that we would get it all back. The majority of the members believed the Union Leadership. Every one of those things they told us was wrong, and now we find ourselves nine years later being told its better to agree to six more years with even more concessions than to fight it. What do you think they have in store for us in 2018 if we agree to more concessions now?

You speak the truth, and I wish you well and hopes it works for you. What we will never know is what would have happened in 03 and 06 if nobody gave concessions.

Excuse my ignorance but I need clarification.

Everytime I see someone post a statement that reads "then Work to FAA Rule" I always wonder what rule are you working to at other times?

I would hope that we are working to FAA rule everyday and everynight. But I could be living a sheltered life in the industrial union compound known as TULE

My BAD Informer,......................YES, my meaning is FAA rules 100% of the time.

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect to see AMR come up with something like "this" to insure a yes vote;

" We originally expected to furlough X # of AMT's. After reconsideration we NOW expect to furlough ONLY 1/2 that amount".
Game/Set/Match.

Informer you know what Tom means. If not, here is a hint: AA's printer paper costs should shoot through the roof.

Working like the FAA is looking over your shoulder and refusing overtime are the only two tools we have to reduce the headcount reduction. Anybody care to guess which is the most likely scenario?

It would be north of 10% DOS. Then they would have to add holidays, and pay at least double time when working on a holiday. Straighten out the sick time pay and accrual. That's just for starters.

Unless something changes significantly, I still think the Mechanic and Related group will be the last on Aa property to get a consensual agreement.