X-mas Eve In Res

pitreschick

Dec 4, 2003
Last night was the worst x-mas holiday...I have spent at Usairways...You would of had to been there to believe it...People going on cruises stranded planes cancelled.
I mean groups of 10--15---18.....People calling in stating the ramp and gate agents were walking off the job. One aircraft waited 2 and 1/2 hours for a ramp
crew to load the luggage..No one(mangement gave us no answers).. Bags thats another story... The weather story got old for the folks traveling through any
usairways airport. How do tell a group of 10 people traveling phl---pit---fll.
You are now stranded in Pit. We cannot get you anywhere close to your cruise
ship that is leaving this evening...After they paid 17000.00 for a cruise... I was
an embaressment to work there last night. Hopefully we will get for folks moving today.. I don't know how since the flights are all filled. Working in that situation
folks calling in staating the ramp walked off the job Gate agents were walking off the job.. all mangement told us after many questions was that Phl did not have any operations between 8pm and 10pm....We were told this at 930pm...I wonder
if Usairwys will survive this one... There was also rumors of unrest in Mco...
Well everyone A Merry Christmas...........

No question it was a very tough night. However, since I needed to call reservations....... I would like to say thank you for the way they handled the call. No they didn't get me where I wanted to be, they could not. They did handle the call with courtesy and professionalism. Another example of the wonderful people that are USAirways. THANK YOU

ALCARLOS said:
No question it was a very tough night. However, since I needed to call reservations....... I would like to say thank you for the way they handled the call. No they didn't get me where I wanted to be, they could not. They did handle the call with courtesy and professionalism. Another example of the wonderful people that are USAirways. THANK YOU
[post="231397"][/post]​
They gave double time today... to lure people in.
What do they think will happen every holiday now that the new contract doesnt give you anything extra for working on the holidays. I think this will just be a preview for years to come. All those new agents are not going to work on the holidays for 9 bucks an hour.

I love these people that book their air travel the same day their cruise ship leaves . . . . and in the winter in the Northeast.

I'm sorry, but that's just plain STUPID.

I went in and worked CSD from midnight till 5 am to help out... It was ROUGH ... Mostly baggage irates.. still no bags from the 23rd .. a few were on non stops to FLA and planes arrived with 0 bags ... I was thinking about going back in for some more but I just can't do it ... I do feel for those passengers that wehave totally screwed this Holiday season .. They trusted in us and we failed .. What is occuring is in no way hurting MANAGEMENT just the people that pay our salary! Hope Everyonre is having a MErry Christmas!

Winglet said:
I love these people that book their air travel the same day their cruise ship leaves . . . . and in the winter in the Northeast.

[post="231495"][/post]​

Winglet, just FYI...

For the great majority of cruise passengers, the air arrangements are booked by the cruise line. The airlines give the cruise lines incredible discounts for volume booking. For instance, on a cruise departing FLL or MIA, airfare booked through the cruise line can cost less than $200 from DFW roundtrip!

The cruise lines want people hanging around the port as little as possible. There is no flying in the night before unless the cruise line has no other choice, because the cruise line has to provide you a hotel room if they do that.

jimntx said:
Winglet, just FYI...

For the great majority of cruise passengers, the air arrangements are booked by the cruise line. The airlines give the cruise lines incredible discounts for volume booking. For instance, on a cruise departing FLL or MIA, airfare booked through the cruise line can cost less than $200 from DFW roundtrip!

The cruise lines want people hanging around the port as little as possible. There is no flying in the night before unless the cruise line has no other choice, because the cruise line has to provide you a hotel room if they do that.
[post="231519"][/post]​

This is only partially correct. Almost all cruise lines offer people the option of flying down early. It costs a little more, but it is offered. Doing otherwise is stupid.

jimntx said:
Winglet, just FYI...

[post="231519"][/post]​

JIT,

Welcome back. I was just about to post an APB for you. And oh, in your signature line aren't you supposed to say something like, "I do not work for AA"? I hope that you have found your sea legs and were quick to get back into the swing of things.

JM

jimntx said:
Winglet, just FYI...

[post="231519"][/post]​

Regardless of who does it, it's still stupid. If you want it CHEAP, then you get it CHEAP.

Reminds me of the old axiom:

GOOD FAST CHEAP

Pick 2

neverhome said:
This is only partially correct. Almost all cruise lines offer people the option of flying down early. It costs a little more, but it is offered. Doing otherwise is stupid.
[post="231524"][/post]​

Being a member of the repeat passenger club in 4 different cruise lines and being a veteran of over 20 cruises, I know what I'm talking about. In the first place, the cruise lines "come early and see Ft. Lauderdale" packages are a ripoff. How can you say "it costs a little more" when most of those fly early packages cost way over the going rate for the hotel room? Yeah, a "little more" . 2 nights in FLL or MIA prior to your cruise with transportation to the hotel and cruise ship, a tour of the outlet mall in FLL, and 2 free drinks in the hotel lounge for only $350/pp additional. That's $700 for a 2 night hotel stay.

Oh, and in over 20 cruises, I only flew in the night before one time, and that was at the cruise line's insistence. I never missed a ship's departure, but then I always flew in on AA or Continental (Eastern for the cruises in the early 80's) for cruises departing from U.S. ports and BA or Air New Zealand for cruises from foreign ports. I booked the air arrangements myself only one time, and that was because we decided to go at the last minute and it was too late to take advantage of the air add-on deal from the cruise line.

I can tell you from being at the other end of it, you've been lucky. If you REAAAAAllly want to go on the cruise, its worth it to spend the $ on a hotel room the night before. Otherwise you end up spending it on the other end to catch up to the ship. I dont know how many people we sold tickets to Cayman to when I worked their flights. First port of call!

Winglet said:

[post="231495"][/post]​

jimntx said:
Winglet, just FYI...

[post="231519"][/post]​

neverhome said:
[post="231524"][/post]​

OldGuyinPA said:
Stupid is...as stupid does...............
[post="231554"][/post]​

Winglet said:
Regardless of who does it, it's still stupid. If you want it CHEAP, then you get it CHEAP.

Reminds me of the old axiom:

GOOD FAST CHEAP

Pick 2
[post="231558"][/post]​
[/quote ]

Regardless of who does it, it's still stupid. How much more plainly can you state it? Find a Days Inn or a Motel Six or something. My God, you're paying 17,000 for a vacation; and you're not willing to spring for a one or two nights hotel stay? So the alternative is I fly on the day my cruise ship is to depart, I miss my ship, now I have to buy an airline ticket to fly me to my first port of call. Gee, I bet that's cheaper than what the hotel room is going to cost me if I show up a few days early. Duh! Where do these people find their travel agent? On a KMart blue light special? :down:

I've only been on one cruise in my life (and dumb enough to fly down the same day - non-rev no less), but isn't there some sort of trip cancellation insurance available that's reasonably cheap? (And yes, I was too dumb to spring for that - but I made the cruise and had a great time)

Jim

If booked thru the cruise line, (we have a speciality desk that worls with cruises), and there is a delay or cancellation, the crusie line guarantees to fly you to the next port to pick up the ship.

Latest posts