Yet Another Change

The Yahoo link is messed up. Here's a better writeup from Terry Maxon:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/08/american-airlines-to-charge-for-older-youths-flying-alone.html/

If you apply the same logic which allows lap children to continue to fly without a DOT approved restraint, my guess is that adding another $300 to the cost of round trip in fees will result in seeing more of a drop in UM traffic than they'll see in fee collection.

Depending on how many of those kids fly on award tickets, it may or may not be a drop in actual revenue.

eolesen said:
The Yahoo link is messed up. Here's a better writeup from Terry Maxon:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/08/american-airlines-to-charge-for-older-youths-flying-alone.html/

If you apply the same logic which allows lap children to continue to fly without a DOT approved restraint, my guess is that adding another $300 to the cost of round trip in fees will result in seeing more of a drop in UM traffic than they'll see in fee collection.

Depending on how many of those kids fly on award tickets, it may or may not be a drop in actual revenue
True, probably won't have a substantial impact on revenue, but they are wasting no time looking for revenue where they can.
But wait until the JCBA's have to be negotiated. Gonna be a real eye opener.

I'm not sure about the title on this one - I bet there is going to "yet another change" every week or so - to integrate two airlines that operated differently many changes need to take place on both sides to get to common operating processes

jcw said:
I'm not sure about the title on this one - I bet there is going to "yet another change" every week or so - to integrate two airlines that operated differently many changes need to take place on both sides to get to common operating processes
Yes, there is going to be change after change leading up to SOC. It is to be expected. But what worked for US may not necessarily work for AA.

If this is simply extending an existing policy from US to AA, then JCW's entirely correct that it's not a chance as much as it is making a decision on which policy survives the integration.

Looking for revenue where it can be found is management's job, so glad to see they're leaving no stone unturned and not protecting some of the sacred cows of days past.

Why not just announce an increase in the Unaccompanied minor fee?  Only children between the age of 5 and 11 are required to follow the unaccompanied minor procedures to start with.  It used to be 5 to 15, but now children between 12 and 17 are considered "Young Adults", and do not require any paperwork.  The Young Adults may elect to do the Unaccompanied Minor thing and pay the fees, but why would they?

The umnr age is changing in Sept. It's back to 5-14 to pay on nonstop only. US old fee only used to be $100 and kids got 2 bags free. We changed "to match AA" several months ago to go to age 12 as um and we upped our fee to $150 plus tax plus bag charges. This isn't a US fee. This is a new made up lets raise the price and drop the age again new policy.

Latest posts