Your Opinion.

If you want an OPINION I will give you one.

You are getting screwed if you are paying 50 grand for an A&P.

http://tulsatech.edu/classes/fulltime/aviation-generals-airframe/

Estimated Tuition, Lab & Required Fees: $5,600.00
Additional Required Costs: $1131.95**

http://tulsatech.edu/classes/fulltime/aviation-generals-powerplant/

Estimated Tuition Fees: $5,600.00
Additional Required Costs: $1152.00**

Total $13,483.95

Please note the price would actually be lower as Airframe and Powerplant programs both have Generals which are the same classes (overlap) so in fact it would be even cheaper than the total price I listed.

You would have to call them for the actual price for A and P but even with the overlap costs I posted it is already $36,516.05 cheaper than the 50K you posted.

Here is a bonus for you. Tulsa is also home to TULE, American Airlines maintenance base, which happens to be the largest commercial maintenance base in the world.

https://airwaysmag.com/best-of-airw...e-engineering-base-american-airlines-tulsa-2/

They always seem to be looking for aircraft cleaners (which shares the same title group as mechanics but does not require an A&P) so by hiring on as an aircraft cleaner you can kill 3 birds with one stone. If you are really lucky you can hire in as a support mechanic (not sure what acronym they use for them these days) which also does not require an A&P.

1. Have income to fund your schooling.
2. Have access to people "in the field" that can provide information and guidance.
3. Get seniority started at a major airline and gain experience.

How does that OPINION work for you?

xUT- I would be happy to share my degree and background information. I have a 4 year Interdisciplinary Studies degree from USC. Really have not been able to put it to good use. I've contemplated using my diploma as toilet paper when I was running out... I'm from South Carolina specifically the Columbia Metro area. I'm 27 and just eager to get into the industry. Any information that you think I've withheld i'll be glad to share with you.

Glenn Quagmire- I went to USAJOBS.com and looked at the jobs for ATSS. They are out there but it looks like that the jobs are only open to people who already work for the FAA. Not sure if there is a freeze on new hires are not.

Contra Mundum- Thanks for the advice on EE. I'm currently looking into that now. I'm trying to expand all my options!

If you want an OPINION I will give you one.

You are getting screwed if you are paying 50 grand for an A&P.

http://tulsatech.edu/classes/fulltime/aviation-generals-airframe/

Estimated Tuition, Lab & Required Fees: $5,600.00
Additional Required Costs: $1131.95**

http://tulsatech.edu/classes/fulltime/aviation-generals-powerplant/

Estimated Tuition Fees: $5,600.00
Additional Required Costs: $1152.00**

Total $13,483.95

Please note the price would actually be lower as Airframe and Powerplant programs both have Generals which are the same classes (overlap) so in fact it would be even cheaper than the total price I listed.

You would have to call them for the actual price for A and P but even with the overlap costs I posted it is already $36,516.05 cheaper than the 50K you posted.

Here is a bonus for you. Tulsa is also home to TULE, American Airlines maintenance base, which happens to be the largest commercial maintenance base in the world.

https://airwaysmag.com/best-of-airw...e-engineering-base-american-airlines-tulsa-2/

They always seem to be looking for aircraft cleaners (which shares the same title group as mechanics but does not require an A&P) so by hiring on as an aircraft cleaner you can kill 3 birds with one stone. If you are really lucky you can hire in as a support mechanic (not sure what acronym they use for them these days) which also does not require an A&P.

1. Have income to fund your schooling.
2. Have access to people "in the field" that can provide information and guidance.
3. Get seniority started at a major airline and gain experience.

How does that OPINION work for you?

That's great stuff man! That Opinion works! A lot of detail here I really really appreciate it!

xUT- I would be happy to share my degree and background information. I have a 4 year Interdisciplinary Studies degree from USC. Really have not been able to put it to good use. I've contemplated using my diploma as toilet paper when I was running out... I'm from South Carolina specifically the Columbia Metro area. I'm 27 and just eager to get into the industry. Any information that you think I've withheld i'll be glad to share with you.

Glenn Quagmire- I went to USAJOBS.com and looked at the jobs for ATSS. They are out there but it looks like that the jobs are only open to people who already work for the FAA. Not sure if there is a freeze on new hires are not.

Contra Mundum- Thanks for the advice on EE. I'm currently looking into that now. I'm trying to expand all my options!

No offense, but I looked up your degree program on "interdisciplinary Studies" from Columbia.

I don't know, for sure, but it seems like to me you wasted 4 years (or more) of academic pursuit on the pursuit of 'nothing'. Hopefully, my tax dollars will not pay for your 'experience' (hard to call it education).

I am probably incorrect, so, please edify us as what you can do with this degree?

( I did note your use of it as toilet paper in post #17 )

Best Regards,
xUT

what kind of degree is that ? and , do you think ,at 27 ,it is wise to spend more money on an education?

you will be competing with other 30 yr olds with 8+ yrs experience.

you are behind the power curve. you should really seek career counseling from a pro and not an internet forum. we mean well and want to do right by you but you might be adrift. you need to find out what rocks your boat through testing and xounselling then lay some rubber.

No offense, but I looked up your degree program on "interdisciplinary Studies" from Columbia.

Isn't that the degree the AA attendance people all have? :)

what kind of degree is that ? and , do you think ,at 27 ,it is wise to spend more money on an education?

you will be competing with other 30 yr olds with 8+ yrs experience.

you are behind the power curve. you should really seek career counseling from a pro and not an internet forum. we mean well and want to do right by you but you might be adrift. you need to find out what rocks your boat through testing and xounselling then lay some rubber.

Contra Mundum 5 years ago I may have agreed with that. However I went to school in my mid 30's and started a new career. Without going into too much detail let's just say I rose through the ranks fast and have become one of the key people on my team in only 4 years.

I had people telling me I was wasting my time. That I would be competing against people with much more experience in an already over saturated market.

Point is I have faith Aviationwannabe can succeed. All it takes is ambition and drive.

While I agree professional career counseling may be a good option I do have some advice about that as well.

Be cautious of taking career advice from someone trying to sell you something. Most of the time the "advice" they give you is the version that puts money in their pockets. That is how people wind up with "toilet paper" degrees.

I know. But we dont know if he has initiative or drive. Career counselors at his last college should be able to help him determine where his true interests are.

I know. But we dont know if he has initiative or drive. Career counselors at his last college should be able to help him determine where his true interests are.
I would say he has already shown initiative. As far as drive, who's to say? Certainly not us.

His last college offered a degree he referred to as "toilet paper". Does that sound like a place to get career advice?

Remember what I said. Be cautious of taking career advice from someone trying to sell you something.

Besides, I would not let someone else tell me how to earn my living for the next 40 years. Career counselor in my eyes has always been a BS job. If you need to have someone tell you what to do with your life you may need a different kind of counselor because you obviously have self confidence issues.

Why get sold some fantasy from some BS career counselor trying to sell a bill of goods when he can come here and get the "real deal" from actual A&P's?

I would say he has already shown initiative. As far as drive, who's to say? Certainly not us.

His last college offered a degree he referred to as "toilet paper". Does that sound like a place to get career advice?

Remember what I said. Be cautious of taking career advice from someone trying to sell you something.

Besides, I would not let someone else tell me how to earn my living for the next 40 years. Career counselor in my eyes has always been a BS job. If you need to have someone tell you what to do with your life you may need a different kind of counselor because you obviously have self confidence issues.

Why get sold some fantasy from some BS career counselor trying to sell a bill of goods when he can come here and get the "real deal" from actual A&P's?

I appreciate everybody's feedback. Be as brutally honest as you want guys. Unfortunately I have known my bachelors degree is worthless ever since I started looking for a job after I graduated. As far as what you do with that degree, I am as stumped as you are. It's not specialized so it's worthless. Why I chose that path? I honestly do not even know.

I can say that being handicapped by not having a relevant degree has taking a toll on my sanity. You guys are talking about drive and ambition; I'm filled with it brothers. I'm out here starving that's why I want to go back to school to get the necessary skills to be successful. All of that is just a side note.

I came here looking to see if it would be worth looking into getting a job as a A&P. I still do not feel definitive but I am definitely more equipped with good information that I feel came from people in "the know". I know it wont be a easy road to get into the aviation industry but I never known an easy road in my life. I'm just here to determine if it's the right road.

Thanks guys

Unfortunately I have known my bachelors degree is worthless ever since I started looking for a job after I graduated. As far as what you do with that degree, I am as stumped as you are. It's not specialized so it's worthless.

I can say that being handicapped by not having a relevant degree has taking a toll on my sanity.

I think you "get it" but I will say it anyway.

It is very important to make sure what you are going to school for is actually marketable.

Would you mind telling us what drew you to consider acquiring your A&P? I think everyone would like to know that. I know I would.

How do you feel about working on professional flight simulators (the kind real world commercial pilots train in)?

real-737ng-simulator.jpg

img_0056.jpg

image-183.jpg

IMG_20151101_143207.jpg

I think you "get it" but I will say it anyway.

It is very important to make sure what you are going to school for is actually marketable.

Would you mind telling us what drew you to consider acquiring your A&P? I think everyone would like to know that. I know I would.

How do you feel about working on professional flight simulators (the kind real world commercial pilots train in)?

real-737ng-simulator.jpg

That's a great question to ask and I'm happy to answer it for you. What has drawn me towards the A&P field is a deep interest in flight and aircraft and in the components of the aircraft that creates flight. Just whenever I have casual conversations about aircraft I can tell that it gets my blood flowing and the gears turning. That all culminated into me inquiring about the A&P industry. I'm trying to "take the temperature" if you will, around the A&P field.

It's funny you bring up the simulators. My next door neighbor whom I mentioned is a pilot for AA is now working with new incoming pilots in the simulator. He rants and raves about how terrific they are and I tend to agree with him. Working around a flight simulator, would for sure interest me. What about simulators is hot right now?

Last edited:
That's a great question to ask and I'm happy to answer it for you. What has drawn me towards the A&P field is a deep interest in flight and aircraft and in the components of the aircraft that creates flight. Just whenever I have casual conversations about aircraft I can tell that it gets my blood flowing and the gears turning. That all culminated into me inquiring about the A&P industry. I'm trying to "take the temperature" if you will, around the A&P field.

It's funny you bring up the simulators. My next door neighbor whom I mentioned is a pilot for AA is now working with new incoming pilots in the simulator. He rants and raves about how terrific they are and I tend to agree with him. Working around a flight simulator, would for sure interest me. What about simulators is hot right now?
Sounds like you found your calling then.

I wish I could say what was hot right now..

I have no expertise in that field.

Sorry.

Maybe one of the A&P's (or sim techs) can give you information.

When I worked for United, I had some friends that were sim techs as they came out of the Avionics shop. I went to Denver (which was one of the largest simulator departments in the US, at the time).
Sim Tech requirements are specific to electronics, avionics, hydraulics and mechanical knowledge.
When I visited their facility to help with the integration of the A320 FMGC upgrade, I had the opportunity to observe a test flight. WOW, that was a great experience.
Beat my Microsoft Flight Sim 4 to the ground.

IIRC, I may be wrong, but after 911. and the Airline industry Bankruptcy event, most airlines now contract out most, if not all, of their Flight Simulators. Getting a position is slim pickens and you better be on top of the game with years of proven experience.

I doubt you are there yet.

One good thing is you have a BA degree, I tried to look up the curriculum for your degree and it has a BA in Arts, or a BS in Sciences . No outline of required courses.

Which one do you have?

Try to leverage what you have to something marketable.

Either get a masters in Management or Engineering.
Even so, without some experience, it will be a tough road to hoe.

Wish you 'The Best'.

:cool: xUT

Reactions: SharoninSAT

Latest posts