2.0 Brazil Hangar (STAY ON TOPIC)

If I am guessing right in a big American station, you probably can't get 1st shift or 2nd shift line without having at least 25 years correct ?
Hard to say. From my experience it seems low seniority in my shop shifted from 2nd to 3rd shift.

Of course we were Fleet with barely 100 people at a maintenance base. Everything you didn't ask for. :)

Reactions: B737 driver
Yes, to be fair, in my opinion he protects the ones that elected him in his local as well as himself. Not the first local president to do that. Survival instinct for sure. Sounds about right as far as needing 25+ to see 1st or 2nd shift at the line but can’t verify that with all of the stations.

Just remember when mechanics in maintenance lose their jobs they bump.

A loss of jobs in maintenance means a loss of employment for line mechanics and vice versa.

When it comes to layoffs there is no "they".

That might be a small problem for the line AMTs, if the company started the Tulsa headcount reduction from the highest to the lowest in seniority. Seems pretty doubtful that there would be a mass exodous from T town anyway, more than likely - a slow draw down through attrition to a headcount that is in line with future projected needs. Remember, that as of right now, moving expenses are out of the contract as well.

Reactions: B737 driver
The company is hiring mechanics at some Line Stations. Look at the seniority list, but not necessarily in Tulsa.

United I believe was going to have an early out and the rumor was about 1000 accepted the offer. Nothing confirmed.

Parameters, $100,000 if you had 20 years. The local Tulsa rumor is the company is looking to drop 1,000 but the replacements are already on board. ( nothing confirmed )

The company is hiring mechanics at some Line Stations. Look at the seniority list, but not necessarily in Tulsa.

United I believe was going to have an early out and the rumor was about 1000 accepted the offer. Nothing confirmed.

Parameters, $100,000 if you had 20 years. The local Tulsa rumor is the company is looking to drop 1,000 but the replacements are already on board. ( nothing confirmed )
Are they losing any heavy maintenance lines in Tulsa, or are they just going to reduce head count through attrition, and how does the hangar in Brazil going to play into the Tulsa base?

Are they losing any heavy maintenance lines in Tulsa, or are they just going to reduce headcount through attrition, and how does the hangar in Brazil going to play into the Tulsa base?
No one said anything about depleting headcount at Tulsa to man anywhere, especially Brazil.
The general idea would be to offer an early out if negotiated? because United did so and AA has more mechanics per aircraft.

Pure speculation, do not say I confirmed anything. These thoughts are from hearing different rumors. Tulsa will most likely increase Heavy Lines plus any new aircraft induction lines.

Are they losing any heavy maintenance lines in Tulsa, or are they just going to reduce head count through attrition, and how does the hangar in Brazil going to play into the Tulsa base?

I would imagine DWH will ultimately take the hit as far as lost widebody work to Brazil is concerned. We usually have 2-3 777 or 787 in work at any one time.

No one said anything about depleting headcount at Tulsa to man anywhere, especially Brazil.
The general idea would be to offer an early out if negotiated? because United did so and AA has more mechanics per aircraft.

Pure speculation, do not say I confirmed anything. These thoughts are from hearing different rumors. Tulsa will most likely increase Heavy Lines plus any new aircraft induction lines.
Doesn’t mean headcount will increase!

I wasn't saying anything I was just asking, so what work do they have planned for Tulsa?

If getting aircraft out on time could save jobs AFW would still be open. USAir management is so inept they don’t understand that in the long run this outsourcing probably isn’t saving the company money at all. I’m against any work going to Brazil other than overnight checks but there is no doubt that they plan more than that. I see the hangar being used like any other hangar in the system. Keep it full at all times.
It isn't about saving money and never has been. In general outsourcing is a rounding error on costs and generally turns TBOs, TATs, and overall quality turns to crap.

They do it because if they get the employee off of their pay sheet and onto AAR's for example, it becomes AAR's problem. If AAR has staffing issues? oh well pay us our fee.
The fewer employees the airlines have they happier they are.

Don't put much stock into a early out meaning changes in the head count one way or another. At Delta they offer us early outs fairly frequently and will be hiring at the same time. New employees cost less than old employees.

Honestly don't understand why the airline industry doesn't do more early outs just to lower the cost of the work force.

TULE is sinking a lot of money into new appliances and remodeling.

I hope they are doing that because they just bought new aircraft and are taking advantage before the new aircraft need maintenance again.

TULE is sinking a lot of money into new appliances and remodeling.

I hope they are doing that because they just bought new aircraft and are taking advantage before the new aircraft need maintenance again.
What are the doing on heavy checks, once all of your MD80's are gone, and what engines our your guys getting in place of the Pratt and Witney 200s, are you guys going your own CF Leap engine maintenance, or is G.E. going to do those engines for you ?

What are the doing on heavy checks, once all of your MD80's are gone, and what engines our your guys getting in place of the Pratt and Witney 200s, are you guys going your own CF Leap engine maintenance, or is G.E. going to do those engines for you ?
You are going to have to ask a mechanic. I have no idea.

Latest posts