2015 AMT Discussion

Buster CRC said:
Tony Bunch said at yesterdays SS meeting in Tulsa that he talked to Danker, Danker said they was working on the Preamble.
So they are past the color of the Union book, good to know!

OldGuy@AA said:
There has never been a test for line guys coming to O/H and this has been discussed for many years.  

Never say never. I started in Tulsa, took an overhaul test, worked for a year and transferred to the line, took a line test. When my station closed 6 years later in 1994 and we went to AFW and we all had to take overhaul tests even though we all worked in overhaul at some point. The rule was more than 5 years and you had to retake the test. 

ZundappBella said:

Never say never. I started in Tulsa, took an overhaul test, worked for a year and transferred to the line, took a line test. When my station closed 6 years later in 1994 and we went to AFW and we all had to take overhaul tests even though we all worked in overhaul at some point. The rule was more than 5 years and you had to retake the test. 
I stand corrected.  Worked with a few guys here that transferred from the line and none of them had to take any qualifying test.  I guess the company was allowed to pick and choose who had to and who didn't.  I don't think it is fair to make anyone take a qualifying test to work in their same title group.  It is even less fair to make SOME take them.  Glad you posted.  Thanks

Overspeed said:
topdawg,
The current TWU scope can have the percentage adjusted now since the TAESL shop is being closed. The reason is that since work at TAESL was listed as outsourced on the DOT F41 the union considered it insourced because it was done by TWU labor. Now that the RB211 and Trent will be outsourced to RR I assume, that work will be considered outsourced entirely since TWU labor is no longer involved. The percentage of outsourcing should be adjusted down from the 35% but I bet it's not a lot. I would have to look at the F41 757 and 777 engine costs for 2015 but I bet the annual cost of labor and material was in the area of $100M for those fleets. While the 777 should remain constant the RB211 is declining because AA is retiring so many 757s. That work was leaving anyway. The question is what will happen with the V2500, GEnX, and GE90 work. AA has no tooling for any of those engines but they have test cells tha could handle the V2500. The GE90 and GEnX are an unknown for me. I bet since the number of engines are low and the shop visits for the new gen engines are probably a lot less than the CF6-80 and RB211, getting that work in-house probably won't protect a ton of jobs.
right, 
My point is that if you guys have scope set on outsourcing %(which as you said, you do) AA is going to end up having to bring some of the new airplane work in house. That are on a MX holiday right now because the Airbus/787s aren't requiring much work and you still have 757/M80/767 in the fleet, but as those leave something has to back fill that work. It isn't like TAESL where it just goes away. 

Also, I honestly expect, unless the TWU/IAM screw it up, you guys to do the V2500 and GEnX in-house. Both fleets will be large enough to make them justifiable. 
The GE90 fleet (40 or so engines) probably doesn't have the volume and is a very very very costly engine to overhaul. IIRC Air France got a contract from Air China for about the same number of engines and it was a 5 or 10 year deal......worth over 1B. Also GE is getting harder and hard to do their engines because the licences are so high. (one reason DL is moving to Rollers) 

Overspeed said:
DL Tech Ops I was told keeps their shop size up by filling capacity up with 3P work. AA MRO/TAESL was supposed to do the same but it seems the new management at AA isn't interested. DL should reap some benefits from that decision.
We will benefit on the next gen engines AA wasn't going to do anyways (Trent 1000, Trent 7000 and Trent XWB) but the DL Trent 800 fleet are going to SAESL, which if i were a betting man, I would bet AA's engines end up there. 

Buck said:
The 737 Heavy is said to be going to Hangar 3. They are already performing 737 work. 

The B Check is said to go to Hangar 80 with no other information.

I have no information about the qualifying parameters, however :

75 CFM 56 (737 Engine) mechanics are being surplussed and 17 Machinists from the Mill area are also being surplussed.

Contractually, the machinists can perform AMT OH work, as to a line test or any other qualifying issues nothing is in writing.
According to the bid all successful bidders must pass the A-25 test for the B Check line.

Rogallo said:

Stirring up the AMT discussion, eh?
Acting like a Canadian, eh?
No Rogallo, you have me confused with someone else. Bob use to be extremely active, I truly am wondering what has happened, comprende?  B)

Back