747-400 Interior Mod?

LukeAisleWalker

Veteran
Sep 29, 2007
I heard that a Mgt representative told FAs at the Simply Velvet event that they (Delta) have decided to go ahead and redo the interiors of the 744 for lie-flat BE seats and AVOD in YC. Has anyone else heard this? I know a few months ago they were debating it as they didn't know how long they were keeping them. They must have come to the realization that in order to use them on competitve long-haul routes they would have to make the modifications. (I also wonder if JAL's financial troubles were instrumental in causing DL to keep the 744 capacity since JAL is drawing down flights.)

I also heard this from a friend that went to the velvet thing.
I understand that they came to the realization that the cost of refurbishing them
and keeping them around awhile longer would be cheaper than acquiring a/c to
replace them (773ER). They seem to be trying to keep cost down while building
up lots of cash. Close to 6 Billion :-0

Maybe it was announced (or mentioned) in today's earnings call? I haven't listened to it yet. FWIW, it's not in the earnings announcement statement itself...

It would be nice to see something in writing.
We also keep hearing that the 763 will also be getting
New seats in Business & YC and AVOD in Y class, however we haven't seen
any time-line. Still waiting for the 77E to get the new
Lie flat seats. I guess there is a lot on their plate now.
Maybe after the first of the year we will hear something.
JFK-NRT on the 744 will be a big downgrade, however JFK-TLV
will be an upgrade.

Passengers love seeing the "Widget" again on a 747!

(they comment on that all the time!)

I remember flying on a Delta 747 from ATL-LAX thru DFW when I was in high school and during the ground stop in DFW, the flight attendant took me up the spiral staircase to "the penthouse" (what they called the upper deck). I think it had swivel-type chairs and maybe a sofa too......those were the days.

I remember flying on a Delta 747 from ATL-LAX thru DFW when I was in high school and during the ground stop in DFW, the flight attendant took me up the spiral staircase to "the penthouse" (what they called the upper deck). I think it had swivel-type chairs and maybe a sofa too......those were the days.
the upper deck generally is the most senior position,

Purser is separate they have their own pattern, the rest of the positions are bid by regular and LOD Flight Attendants.

the regular positions, during bidding..upper deck usually goes first.

Passengers love the upper deck because of the exclusive feel.

I use to fly the 747 with the spiral staircase to the UK a lot out of our East coast base a while ago, and would time to time work upper deck, we had 12 seats up there and it was always a pleasure to work. The only issue was sometimes they had catering split upper deck and downstairs but it was not that big of an issue.

A lot of the time the upper deck with the spiral staircase would be full, all 12 seats, but sometimes maybe 5 or 6.

The 747-400 has a lift that can transport carts from upper deck to main deck so if there is ever a need to move carts its very easy.

Upper deck positions to Asia generally are at 30 year and higher seniority, for the most part.

According to the (now infamous) :lol: Chat With Ed, the BOD will be voting at their next meeting on whether to spend the $$ to re-hab the 744s. Sounds like that is what the Execs are leaning toward rather than spending $$ on new a/c. I think that's good...should be fantastaic when it's brought up-to-date.
(Anybody know when the next meeting is scheduled?)

the 747-400 is not as old as some may think!

Give it a new paint job.

Spruce up the interior.

Add some technology.

And call it a day!

It is...a 400 plus seat aircraft with an upper deck!

the 747-400 is not as old as some may think!

Yes, I agree.
I remember one of these "chats' or conference calls and Glen was asked about interior modifications of the 744s back in the Spring and he said something to the effect of "well, we don't know what we're going to do with that a/c; you have to remember these were based on 1960s technology.." I thought to myself: EXCUSE me! What are the DC9s???????????? They are MUCH older than the 744s.
I think many get the 742s (older) mixed up with the more modern 744 which didn't come out until 1989/90...still younger than many of the 76 and 75 fleet.

According to the (now infamous) :lol: Chat With Ed, the BOD will be voting at their next meeting on whether to spend the $$ to re-hab the 744s. Sounds like that is what the Execs are leaning toward rather than spending $$ on new a/c. I think that's good...should be fantastaic when it's brought up-to-date.
I believe its the first week of Dec.

Yes, I agree.
I remember one of these "chats' or conference calls and Glen was asked about interior modifications of the 744s back in the Spring and he said something to the effect of "well, we don't know what we're going to do with that a/c; you have to remember these were based on 1960s technology.." I thought to myself: EXCUSE me! What are the DC9s????????????
it is always interesting to me when the 1960s "technology" is brought up,
as that generation of aircraft engineers were the ones who designed and eventually evolved what we know today as the modern day jetliner, with a technological edge.

(obviously they were thinking long term in their design plan!)

LukeAisleWalker said:
They are MUCH older than the 744s.
I think many get the 742s (older) mixed up with the more modern 744 which didn't come out until 1989/90...still younger than many of the 76 and 75 fleet.
The 400 is basically the 1990's version

and!

for some will think..

spiral staircase, orange interior, pull down movie screens and swizzle sticks in galley compartments from 1976!

its just not the case!

The way I look at it,

it is very important eventually streamlining the fleet (as there are so many different types of aircraft) taking
fuel efficiency and other issues into consideration, however at this time would it be beneficial to replace an entire wide body fleet that is primarily dedicated for International services and retire in the short term.. only to have the need to replace that fleet with either a brand new aircraft or possibly able to pick up aircraft at a bargain price?
There is still going to be a need to have long range aircraft for a "global" airline, they are going to need to utilize an "aircraft" to maintain routes.

basically what I am saying is simply,

do they actually need to retire the 400 right now or would a refreshing of the aircraft make more sense?

(at this time)

I am just a little partial to the 747 because,

basically I grew up on that plane as a Flight Attendant.

however,

I really like an idea of a dedicated 777 Flagship International fleet too!

I wonder?

What is the International Flagship aircraft type, for the combined carrier after the SOC?

1. 777

2. 747

3. 330

4. 767

According to the (now infamous) :lol: Chat
I will probably make it a point from now on out...

to tune into the "chats" just to see what is chatted up on the "chat"!

I think that's good...should be fantastaic when it's brought up-to-date.
we worked so hard on those 747's for so many years, it would be nice to see the 747 fly for years to come just out of respect for the series.

(she justs needs just a little work and will be good to go!)

dont we all need a little work from time to time?

I am sure they will let us know when they make their decision!

Not really apart of a large "fleet" is it? 16 right?
And from what I read they will reduce it down to 10/12.
I agree that the a/c should be given some "touch up" work
and stick around for awhile to eventually be replaced with
the 748, however I doubt that will happen. Probably the 773
down the road. I can't image the BOD rejecting this allocation.
When JAL turns Delta down, there will be plenty of $$ floating around. :)
It would be nice to have a simplified fleet before retirement no?