80% chance of US/DL merger

What's important for employees to realize is that with $1.65 billion per year in economic benefits, there is every right to believe that each employee would be working for a financially stronger airline that would be able to provide more job security and higher pay and benefits than if the merger did not proceed.

Regards,

USA320Pilot[/font]

OK 320,
Let me ask you this. How does this merger not result in a multitude of layoffs? How do you reduce fleet count by 10%(probably optimistic) and not incur massive layoffs? Is it your opinion that all of these reductions would simply be mitigated by voluntary leaves, early outs, etc.? I find it hard to believe that job security is somehow strengthened.

OK 320,
Let me ask you this.
Luv

What he did not tell you is that this projected economic benefit was formed according to dougie with the information that could be gleaned off the DL web site. He has a real history of only posting items that support his theories. According to him, US has bought UA at least four times in the last four years. :eek:

A SWAG (simple wild a$$ guess).

And just remember this, the creditors were informed on the details in the offer two months and dougie was told to pound salt. No real reason to believe that the ponzi scheme has a better chance in round two.........

wnbubbleboy, Thank You for your response.

I know several people that now work for Southwest that share your sentiments.

It's just Pathetic, when one "MORON" gets on here and runs his mouth about things that don't even pertain to him.

I suggest using the "Ignore" function on this board it does wonders for easing the blood pressure. ;)

After hearing about the merger announcement I initially thought why would Doug Parker not seek Northwest as a partner instead of Delta if for nothing else less route overlap and a more similar fleet. After at looking at Delta Closer, the fleet's are more similar than I originally thought.

US Airways and Delta both operate B767s, B757s, and B737s. The two main differences are the MD-80 and B-777s and the A320's and A-330s. Delta operates 8 B-777s and US Airways 9 A-330s, thus, according to Parker, one widebody fleet type would be replaced.

In my opinion, with Delta's recent B-777LR order, with deliveries scheduled in 2008 and Airbus' continued widebody problems and US Airways' A-350s not scheduled to arrive until 2014, the A-330s could fairly easily be replaced by B-777s, which would eliminate one fleet type.

In addition, due to Delta being in bankruptcy, all of the MD-80s could have thier leases rejected on an incremental basis and returned to the lessor during or after bankruptcy, similar in scope to what US Airways did with its B737s.

These aircraft could then be replaced by either A-320 family aircraft and/or B737's, with US Airways close to announcing a narrowbody deal with either or both Airbus and Boeing in the not-so-distant future.

This could leave the combined carrier a fleet of:

B-777s
B-767s
B-757s
B-737s
A-320s (family)
EMB-190s

A problem with the 757's is that DL's are P&W powered and US/HP are RR -- DL has 100+ of them.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='431510' date='Nov 20 2006, 03:26 AM']All the non-union DL employees have had many chances to vote in a union. But, they always said "we have it better non-union." If this goes through; I bet they wish that a union was voted in. No Union = STAPLE! :lol:[/quote]

Not quite. Numerically, it appears that the non-union DL employees would represent more than %50 of their respective workgroups. Thus, in the face of a staple, they could decertify the respective unions.

Ergo, you won't see a staple.

Not quite. Numerically, it appears that the non-union DL employees would represent more than %50 of their respective workgroups. Thus, in the face of a staple, they could decertify the respective unions.

Ergo, you won't see a staple.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Clue",

You DID'NT do your "homework" on your response. :shock:

Granted DL's (present non-Union) employees outnumber the US folks in the AMT-F/A-RAMP-RES areas.

BUT,
You've failed to take into consideration, the DL folks, that HAVE voted(and lost) to have Union representation.

It's a VERY good assumption to expect "those" folks to "join" the US union folks, to become a MAJORITY !!
(Think F/A's)

NH/BB's

It's a VERY good assumption to expect "those" folks to "join" the US union folks, to become a MAJORITY !!
(Think F/A's)

NH/BB's
Just a question.

Why would they have to go the union way? If the company does it right they could bust the unions by getting the delta groups and the former awa groups(FA's, Fleet, Maint, etc)on the same page and offer them wage and bennefits that would go into effect only if they are not union. What would the outcome of a representation vote be amongst the groups?

"Clue",

Granted DL's (present non-Union) employees outnumber the US folks in the AMT-F/A-RAMP-RES areas.

BUT,
You've failed to take into consideration, the DL folks, that HAVE voted(and lost) to have Union representation.

(Think F/A's)

NH/BB's
B) B) B) There is one problem in your thinkin - BIG PROBLEM- 100% of the f/as vote- hardly. You need to be more familiar with the statistics of who casts their votes. There has been and continues to be, a drive at DL to unionize under AFA.With some degree of certainty it will ramp-up if this merger EVER gets off the ground. I think AFA will prevail.DATE of hire for all fa/s, and for that matter, all employees is the only fair thing- plain and simple.Best of luck to all the employes of BOTH airline. And here's to hoping the childish name calling stops- so silly!!

AWA didn't save anyones job.

Really? Perhaps you are the one lacking common sense? Like I said, you should thank America West for preserving your job.

From the Boyd group:

First, in 2005, America West Holdings bought a dying carrier that represented very little route or competitive overlap.
That's 100% different from this current deal, where there is
competitive overlap up the whazoo, particularly in smaller
communities that have near zip chances of getting new
competition should this merger go through.

Second, in the first US Airways deal, HP acquired a carrier
that for all indications was heading smooth out of business,
and in the process of doing so, HP preserved enormous
amounts of service, and retained enormous amounts of
competition on the East Coast. America West Holdings was
the cavalry that arrived to save the day, not to mention
thousands of jobs in the East.

First, in 2005, America West Holdings bought a dying carrier ... Second, in the first US Airways deal, HP acquired a carrier
that for all indications was heading smooth out of business........

Heading out of business? Probably. But for Boyd, a supposed expert to say AWA bought anything is fantasy, or likely more of his venom directed at his least favorite carrier. Just as in the current proposal, moneys from outside investors were used to put two carriers together. It is hard to take him seriously if he cannot even get the initial facts straight. Greeter

Man "No ####", reading these comments are like husband and wife fighting. Sad for so called professionals mud slinging all day. Point is NONE of us have a say in the out come. Full page ads, crying to the people of Atlanta with cries of support aren't really going to matter. Remember Parker didn't call any of us for an opinion and I'm sure Gerry didn't call anyone at DAL. It's what is happening behind the closed doors. It's a changing industry and some things will happen, not everyone is going to be happy! With all the put downs going on...how in the world could this thing ever work without killing each other. Man...sad!! It gets old already!! Does anyone have anything GOOD to say!!! I'm sure I'll be blasted for writing this!!! Let it rip........

"Clue",

BUT,

(Think F/A's)

NH/BB's

Oh, I realize that the AFA has tried at DL twice. I'm not entirely convinced that in the face of a staple, those who voted for AFA representation at DL in prior elections would do so this time.

That's why there won't be a staple--AFA International is not going to risk losing the entire workgroup.