A.M.F.A. support at the line stations?

Now you lost me. I thought I was on the ropes for my AMFA opinions. Are you suggesting it is a bad thing for two labor Unions to cooperate? I have no idea what is going on in Tulsa, or your individual work area unless you have posted the issue here.

You see you can be correct. You are lost, do not know what is going on in Tulsa or any individual work areas, let alone American Airlines.

You see you can be correct. You are lost, do not know what is going on in Tulsa or any individual work areas, let alone American Airlines.

Nope, and never claimed too. I said that in the beginning. Thanks for clearing that up.

I was a member of AMFA. Were you?

Nope, and never claimed too. I said that in the beginning. Thanks for clearing that up.

I was a member of AMFA. Were you?
Yes and was practicing dual unionism, only I was never formally charge, like others on this board.

Now I am a TWU member, are you?

Yes and was practicing dual unionism, only I was never formally charge, like others on this board.

Now I am a TWU member, are you?

What??? Let me try this in English. I am not in the TWU, nor have I ever been in the TWU. As a member of AMFA, I am asking have you worked for a company who was represented by AMFA? Not the charter member crap that I was in before AMFA came to UAL.

Let me ask it this way, again in English. I have worked under an AMFA contract. Have you?

I apologize for the sarcasm. It is Friday for me and I have been up all night. No hard feelings I hope.

What??? Let me try this in English. I am not in the TWU, nor have I ever been in the TWU. As a member of AMFA, I am asking have you worked for a company who was represented by AMFA? Not the charter member crap that I was in before AMFA came to UAL.

Let me ask it this way, again in English. I have worked under an AMFA contract. Have you?

I could use your method of answering questions and avoid answering, however I choose with my Democratic right not to.

So my answer is no. I have yet to work for an AMFA represented carrier.

No just the TWU crap.

I could use your method of answering questions and avoid answering, however I choose with my Democratic right not to.

So my answer is no. I have yet to work for an AMFA represented carrier.

No just the TWU crap.

Thanks, and again I apologize for my sarcasm earlier. My history simply is with UAL. When I stated we were with the IAM. We switched to AMFA, and then to Teamsters. That is my history, and that of the rest of us still here at UAL (around 4000).

I saw this thread and decided to inject my opinion based on personal experience. I do not have first hand knowledge at AA nor TWU.

Thanks, and again I apologize for my sarcasm earlier. My history simply is with UAL. When I stated we were with the IAM. We switched to AMFA, and then to Teamsters. That is my history, and that of the rest of us still here at UAL (around 4000).

I saw this thread and decided to inject my opinion based on personal experience. I do not have first hand knowledge at AA nor TWU.
That's interesting as I was under the IAM, AMFA and IBT.
Of the three I prefer AMFA, but IAM is much better than the IBT and would be my second choice.
What is it about the IBT that impresses you?
Regards,
B) xUT

That's interesting as I was under the IAM, AMFA and IBT.
Of the three I prefer AMFA, but IAM is much better than the IBT and would be my second choice.
What is it about the IBT that impresses you?
Regards,
B) xUT

So far the Teamsters have been responsive and progressive towards our concerns. I like that we got a contract while every other work group is still stalled in negotiations. I wish we had gotten a bit more like many others here, but at the time the signing bonus and pay raise were very welcomed. I like the many new benefits we have gotten even though I was not too excited about going to a CAL agreement. It is working out well however the more we learn it. I appreciate the job being done in the communications area. But this was not a terrible issue at AMFA either.

We have not seen or been threatened with lay offs in several months. This was a common occurrence with the past two Unions. I have seen and heard of many many recalls across the system. In fact, many stations have exhausted their recall lists and new closed stations are opening back up. For the first time in years there is movement on the system. During a merger we expected more lay offs, but our new language is actually keeping bodies here. You asked in another post about UAL lifetime recalls, and yes, we kept them.

Over all I am give the IBT good marks. They do a good enough job, answer phones and e-mails, and do not have near the drama associated with the other two Unions. Honestly, all things being equal, I feel more comfortable and secure with my current Union than I have felt in a very long time. It has not been paradise by any stretch, but we are at least making progress.

Thinking a bit more, I could go on, but do not want this to sound like more of a campaign add than it probably already does. I will probably get hit with that any way.

I liked the IAM a little bit more than AMFA in certain areas, and in others I think AMFA was better. Toss up between the two. I would not recommend the IAM for mechanics. Let the other groups have them.

So for you mediocre is okay as long as the status quo is not upset.

Now we are back to the Teamsters, right?

You wouldn't recommend the IAM for the mechanics, nor would you approve of a mechanics craft union.

That pretty much leaves the Teamsters, which is the purpose of your existence on these forums in the first place.

So far the Teamsters have been responsive and progressive towards our concerns. I like that we got a contract while every other work group is still stalled in negotiations. I wish we had gotten a bit more like many others here, but at the time the signing bonus and pay raise were very welcomed. I like the many new benefits we have gotten even though I was not too excited about going to a CAL agreement. It is working out well however the more we learn it. I appreciate the job being done in the communications area. But this was not a terrible issue at AMFA either.

We have not seen or been threatened with lay offs in several months. This was a common occurrence with the past two Unions. I have seen and heard of many many recalls across the system. In fact, many stations have exhausted their recall lists and new closed stations are opening back up. For the first time in years there is movement on the system. During a merger we expected more lay offs, but our new language is actually keeping bodies here. You asked in another post about UAL lifetime recalls, and yes, we kept them.

Over all I am give the IBT good marks. They do a good enough job, answer phones and e-mails, and do not have near the drama associated with the other two Unions. Honestly, all things being equal, I feel more comfortable and secure with my current Union than I have felt in a very long time. It has not been paradise by any stretch, but we are at least making progress.

Thinking a bit more, I could go on, but do not want this to sound like more of a campaign add than it probably already does. I will probably get hit with that any way.

I liked the IAM a little bit more than AMFA in certain areas, and in others I think AMFA was better. Toss up between the two. I would not recommend the IAM for mechanics. Let the other groups have them.

So AMFA led you through the worst years in aviation history and you blame them for it, the industry has regained its footing and just like you most of the recall list at AA have been exhausted, hell for the first time in 8 or 9 years we have hired mechanics at AA. SWA is hiring as is DAL and like you said you got the CAL contract because of the merger and yes the CAL management is better than UAL but in your mind the teamsters got it for you.

But anything good happens at SWA just a extension of the ibt deal or its because of their managment. Got it I guess all those teamster mechanics from AirTran getting those big raises should thank the IBT for there new found wages, give me a break in your words you dislike these guys the least because things have went ok for you. I think we got the picture.

So far the Teamsters have been responsive and progressive towards our concerns. I like that we got a contract while every other work group is still stalled in negotiations. I wish we had gotten a bit more like many others, but at the time the signing bonus and pay raise were very welcomed. I like the many new benefits we have gotten even though I was not too excited about going to a CAL agreement. It is working out well however the more we learn it. I appreciate the job being done in the communications area. But this was not a terrible issue at AMFA either.

IMHO, that’s your opinion. Mine is quite different. I found that after the IBT was certified that communications (lies that they were) stopped. True, I haven’t been employed by UA for 3 years, but my sources (employed friends) inform me that nothing has changed. After Lil’Jimmy moved his trucks out of the SFO parking lot. :lol:

We have not seen or been threatened with lay offs in several months. This was a common occurrence in the past two Unions. I have seen and heard of many many recalls across the system. In fact, many stations have exhausted their recall lists and new closed stations are opening back up. For the first time in years there is movement on the system. During a merger we expected more lay offs, but our new language is actually keeping bodies here. You asked in another post about UAL lifetime recalls, and yes, we kept them.

Good about the recalls, but why is CAL IBT hiring off the street while UAL IBT members are still on recall?
Are you comfortable with that?

Over all I am give the IBT good marks. They do a good enough job, answer phones and e-mails, and do not have near the drama associated with the other two Unions. Honestly, all things being equal, I feel more comfortable and secure with my current Union than I have felt in a very long time.

Good for you, evidently, there are not many that share your comfort.

Not from me, your post speaks for itself.

I certainly would recommend the IAM over the IBT if only given the two choices.

In summation, how do you feel about the lies the IBT made to get in?
  • Teamster Defined Benefit Retirement Plan with a 10 Year Look Back *
Never Happened…
  • SFO Local
A-H SFO, F-Z LAX, How many SFO folks go to LAX for a meeting?
* Immediate section 6 opening
(that one made me laugh my ass off).

* IBT Flying NWA during strike
Are you comfortable with that?

Are you comfortable with 'business agents'?
I never was.

These are only what I remember as I pretty much ignored the rest of the BullHockey they put out.

B) xUT

I have a question for anyone not wanting to sign an AMFA card.
If you were non-union and looking to organize, knowing what you know about the TWU, would you sign a TWU card?
We can argue back and forth about the track record of both unions but the democratic structure/accountability at AMFA should be enough for anyone to see that with AMFA at least the members have some input into the direction of the union.
I am not with the TWU, or AMFA, but it interesting how readily the association supporters are willing to throw up the "lets compare" argument. How can you compare philosophies and wishes with reality and fact? Fact: TWU has kept work in house at AA while every other airline has outsourced. Fact; AMFA has consistently lost work to MRO vendors at each and every one of their current and former properties. Fact; other Unions fight to bring back work and improve language to create more in house jobs creating recalls and hiring new mechanics. Fact; AMFA cuts it's losses promising more to those few mechanics who remain. Fact; In a merger situation other Unions such as the Teamsters will continue to fight for the rights of their former employees (Air Trans/ Southwest, Teamsters continue to fight for seniority rights for Air Tran former IBT members). Fact; AMFA says "see ya" to former members even before the ink is dry (Mesaba Airlines former and longest running AMFA mechanics were systematically dumped by AMFA Local 11 on Jan 4, 2012 after merging with Pinnacle. A few conference calls and a couple of meetings were initiated but Mesaba mechanics were mostly left out to dry). In the end, AMFA simply has nothing but pie in the sky promises that simply can never expect to become reality. Just ask the former UAL AMFA members. They were promised plenty, then left after a few short years for a reason (the vote to leave AMFA was around 70% I think?). There is no comparison, AMFA will leave you with dreams.
Well I took a few days away from the forum and I see this response to my post. I also see the usual debate since then about which union is better than the other. If you re-read my post, or maybe read for the first time it seems, you will see that I asked a simple question: Would you prefer a democratic union to a union that has zero acountability to its members because it's leadership is untouchable?
I and a lot of others at AA are sick of it.

Latest posts

Back