A Rat In Your Ranks

No, and that's by choice. It's none of my business, just like mine is one of theirs.

I think that there should be a clear dividing line between my work life and personal life. That has always been the case whether (sp?) I was working in a union shop or an open one.

That's fine, if that is your choice. It is not fine for some union thug to force that policy, or for unions to program mistrust and anti-social attitudes in members. After an experience in San Antonio, I understand why they do it.

I know a little about everyone I work with, and more about some. What their status is with the company makes little difference with personal interactions, and the trust that comes from knowing the person you are working with goes a long way in smoothing out some of the business interactions.

I can say pretty much the same thing for people who live in my neighborhood. There are laborers, executives, several business owners, and others who are retired. What they do for a living is only a small part of who they are, and makes little difference in who I choose to associate with.

Ha! My manager and I just got back from 18 holes of golf and a cocktail cruise. Good times! Next week, I'm going to his daughter's bat mitzvah. Also, he recently sponsored me on a charity walk-a-thon for heart disease. Now granted I no longer work for the airlines... but do you think we could do this with a union???? Dream on. We'd probably be shot before we reached the second hole.
This post is flame bait...

Nice try. <_<

Sure you could, but it starts with respect being a two-way street. I certainly don't see that occuring in the current enviroment.
Maybe you need to switch environments.
For the most part, we here at Delta happen to like ours.
Come on in, but leave your union outside.

This post is flame bait...

Nice try.

Tech - seriously, my comment wasn't intended as flame bait, but the fact that you think it is illustrates my point even more. It illustrates how deeply seeded your convictions are in the way "things must be". If Kev wants to keep his work life seperate from his personal life, of course that's his choice. But it's also a product of the environment from which he is a part. I've worked both sides of this street, and now my work life is my personal life, and vice versa. There is no comparison on much happier my life is now to how it was then. That's all I was trying to say.

I have had a number of special experiences with the Delta family in my life. As a loyal Delta passenger, if I see the leagcy of the "Delta Family" spirit be consumed by employee or managment, labor foolishness, due to this merger, it will be a sad, sad thing.
As someone on the inside, I could not agree more! I cannot speak for others, but as for me, I will try to not disappoint you, the flying public.

I know a little about everyone I work with, and more about some. What their status is with the company makes little difference with personal interactions

So do I (I do work in a line station, after all...).

and the trust that comes from knowing the person you are working with goes a long way in smoothing out some of the business interactions.

I can't think of anyone I work with that I don't trust.

I can say pretty much the same thing for people who live in my neighborhood. There are laborers, executives, several business owners, and others who are retired. What they do for a living is only a small part of who they are, and makes little difference in who I choose to associate with.

Sounds like my 'hood... Except that describing where you live has nothing to do with the comments/points we're trying to get across to each other.

Sounds like my 'hood... Except that describing where you live has nothing to do with the comments/points we're trying to get across to each other.
The point is that where you work, like where you live, there are all kinds of people. To arbitrarily say “that person is no goodâ€￾ or “That person can’t be trustedâ€￾, based solely on whether they are labor or management is ludicrous. You spend 40+ hours a week with those people, and no nothing about them. Kind of like saying you’ve lived in a neighborhood for 10 years but don’t know the people next to you, and don’t want to, because they live in a white house.

The point is that where you work, like where you live, there are all kinds of people. To arbitrarily say “that person is no goodâ€￾ or “That person can’t be trustedâ€￾, based solely on whether they are labor or management is ludicrous. You spend 40+ hours a week with those people, and no nothing about them.

I know enough about local mgmt....

I also know enough to know that I don't want to play around of golf with them, nor would I like to have them in my home.

I feel no need to blur the line between work/home life. What's so hard to understand?

Latest posts