A321XLR--Future of long-range flying?

Ran across this article this morning. American has ordered several. Supposedly, this model of A321 will be able to fly DFW to Mid-Europe non-stop. Personally, I like the wide-body, 2 aisle planes for long flights. What say ye?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airbus-a321xlr-extra-long-range/index.html
And if Parker is still at AA I'm sure AA will fly the cattle car configuration.
If Ryanair can cram 200 seats in a 737 MAX 8 I'm sure AA will up them on the new A321XLR. Let's guess and say 235 in the cheap seats and maybe 10 up front?

If Ryanair can cram 200 seats in a 737 MAX 8 I'm sure AA will up them on the new A321XLR. Let's guess and say 235 in the cheap seats and maybe 10 up front?
agree with one change the 10 up front will be 4 they do not care about the first class passengers or the employees getting first class

Ugh I couldn’t imagine being packed in that thing for 8 plus hours.
If I go to Europe I’m going wb or not at all

agree with one change the 10 up front will be 4 they do not care about the first class passengers or the employees getting first class
Oh yes I forgot. If they only have 4 up front then they don't need a oven in the galley. Just pass around the wicker snack basket full of chips and nuts.

I don't think I agree fully with any of the posted comments. The XLR is not a bigger airplane. It will have an additional fuel tank aft of the wings in the belly of the fuselage. The extra gas is what makes it an XLR (extra long range) aircraft. I don't think the total seating configuration will change that much, if at all. First Class (or Business Class on days we are feeling egalitarian--it's still 16 larger seats upfront) will remain at 16. AA makes a LOT of money off First Class cabins on all flights but particularly on TA flights. They might enlarge the "Where is your god now" cabin (Basic Economy) somewhat to accommodate the traveling student market, but don't think they could get away with reducing space on a TA flight anymore than it already is. My guess: 16 F/C & 175 Coach (currently 165 coach) with additions going in the Basic Economy section.) They might (and I emphasize might) try to squeeze in 184 coach, but if they go even 1 more than that, they have to add another flight attendant. They can only go from current 181 to 200 and keep staffing at 4 flight attendants. 201 or more requires 5. And, that has nothing to do with the level of service. It is a Federal Air Regulation. I can't imagine where they would put 19 additional seats. Remember we have that pesky problem of Delta not being willing to use "Spirit Airways"-like seating. :D

No way will they eliminate F/C galley. Even on domestic flights, if it's longer than a couple of hours you had better have something to eat for those poor starving rich guys in the front cabin seats. The basket is barely acceptable on DFW to IAH. Forget trying to get away with offering only the basket on a DFW to LHR or longer flight. Remember, F/C is where Parker and company sit.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts