Aa Hiring New Flight Attendants!

Seen on another board (edited to maintain anonymity):
I called the APFA for verification. I spoke with the contract desk. They did not know if it was true or not and started to quote the contract to me. I said that I had the contract in hand and only wanted a yes or no answer. They continued to justify the actions by saying that the company was only at 1.5%. I said, I don't care, I just want a simple yes or no. This terrible, there will never be any pressure by the union to stop.

It is time to change the leadership of the APFA.

This is a serious question. I work in scheduling and have no clue as to why we even have FN Flight Attendants. I know they do not get understaffing pay and do not get alot of things the APFA has but I have heard from a number of AA flight Attendants that they are horrible to work with. Can anyone shed some light as to why we have them. Not just rumors.

Although I don't agree with having FN's .. I have worked with them several times and they are not horrible. They are people just like us trying to make a living. The crews I have worked with have been very nice to work with and extremely professional.

Miaami,

All you do is take everything I say and try to twist it. I did not say FN are horrible people. I can not say that because I do not work with them. I do not Schedule them. I have met a few when they are in training and visit and seem like nice people. I am just repeating what I have heard. I just asked a simple question...does anyone know why we have them working our flights. Does UA...or DL...or CO have them

I think AA is the only one to have FN's and they're a hangover from the Braniff/Eastern days. I non-revved with the FN's once from GRU and I noticed a service drop off. Not a big one and I don't want to say they were bad, but the service going down with the regular FA's was definitely better. I was surprised because the Latin FA's on airlines like Grupo TACA and LAN Chile/Peru are really great (and they all look like former Models!!!) and I was expecting the same!

operaations said:
Miaami,

All you do is take everything I say and try to twist it. I did not say FN are horrible people. I can not say that because I do not work with them. I do not Schedule them. I have met a few when they are in training and visit and seem like nice people. I am just repeating what I have heard. I just asked a simple question...does anyone know why we have them working our flights. Does UA...or DL...or CO have them
I was not twisting anything. Just trying to answer your question.

So, is it true then that FNs are now working turns out of FLL and DFW? I called APFA yesterday and got a flat, "No. We are not aware of that." Is someone doing anything about this? I posted this bit of news on the aafurlough page and apfaboard page on Yahoo, and basically got shot down with "They are only allowed to fly in and out of MIA". What is the plain truth?If in fact these FNs are taking our jobs, why ins't there an uproar amongst flight crews? You know my friends at UAL are all recalled, and AFA made sure that FNs in BKK, TPE and SIN were furloughed first before any US based fas. Why can't APFA have stronger language in the contract? Who was the one who wrote the FN scope in the present contract?This is all very demoralizing.
:angry:

If you read the original post it only states that the info is from a "reliable source". Its just a rumor! As far as what UA did in Asia doesn't really matter other than that is a lovely example of what to do. What you need to remember is that when a carrier gets the rights to fly into certain countries they sometimes have to agree to certain conditions. What they do in Asia has no barring on what they do in Brazil. And don't fool yourself into thinking that AA wouldn't love to outsource all the International flights under the umbrella that its in the terms of the agreement to fly into each country. Remember AA threatened to have FN's able to fly to NYC DFW if we didn't agree to paycuts. They could give a rats behind whether U.S workers are on the street as long as its cheaper to outsource its work to lower paid FN's. When AA put out that ad that stated they were proud to bear the name AMERICAN they failed to mention that they were not proud enough to keep AMERICANS working over foreign workers.

Miaami

AA also stated that if they declared B/K they would furough 5,000 F/A's.

Guess what? They did it anyways. the proffer for O/L's was based of 5,000 F/A's being furloughed.. Don't believe anything AA tells you. Get your head out of the sand and look at the reality! FN's will soon be flying all international trips.

Ed,

May I suggest you check your facts. Any furloughs after May were part of the restructure agreement. As far as my head being in the sand, nothing suprises me when it comes to AA. I do enjoy my job and I hope that the company gets back on its feet again soon. Do I think we need to be careful when it comes to management? Sure I do. I appreciate your frustrations with the FN issue, I hope that our furloughed flight attendants get called back soon. But I think the FN's are here to stay a while.

I called APFA as well and got a non-comittal "We are not aware of this" etc.etc. and when I posted this bit of news about the FNs on the aafurlough and the apfaboard pages on Yahoo, I got shot down with "FNs are only allowed to fly in and out of MIA".If our contract ever comes up for renewal, this FN issue needs to be looked at very closely. AFA at UAL made sure that FNs in SIN, BKK, and TPE were laid off before any US based fas. I don't see how and why APFA could not do the same. UAL has fa bases in LHR, CDG, and FRA I believe that US based fas could live and work out of. I don't think Delta has any FNs.So, what is the union doing about this? Why aren't more fas aware of this issue? Or are we all complacent until our jobs are on the line? :angry:

Flyboy4u said:
Miaami

AA also stated that if they declared B/K they would furough 5,000 F/A's.

Guess what? They did it anyways. the proffer for O/L's was based of 5,000 F/A's being furloughed.. Don't believe anything AA tells you. Get your head out of the sand and look at the reality! FN's will soon be flying all international trips.
Looks like Ed got a hold of some sugar again. FYI in the contract and that has not changed they can fly only in and out of Miami. Nest time try to be even more dramatic and say they will be flying all domestic trips as well.

diva said:
I called APFA as well and got a non-comittal "We are not aware of this" etc.etc. and when I posted this bit of news about the FNs on the aafurlough and the apfaboard pages on Yahoo, I got shot down with "FNs are only allowed to fly in and out of MIA".If our contract ever comes up for renewal, this FN issue needs to be looked at very closely. AFA at UAL made sure that FNs in SIN, BKK, and TPE were laid off before any US based fas. I don't see how and why APFA could not do the same. UAL has fa bases in LHR, CDG, and FRA I believe that US based fas could live and work out of. I don't think Delta has any FNs.So, what is the union doing about this? Why aren't more fas aware of this issue? Or are we all complacent until our jobs are on the line? :angry:
Unless you are Miami based you never really felt the issue. We voted to allow this in the contract. Prior to that AA was not allowed. That's why they came in and offered a few things to hit the most people speaker and galley pay and bingo a yes vote.

APFA cannot do anything. If you can argue intent during the negotiations you have to have the people who were there on your side. All of ours scabbed and will not assist in saving jobs. Hardly surprising for a scab. So until we trade it for something the company wants more its here to stay. If nothing less I would love to see it dropped back to the 331 we originally took from Eastern.