AA to lease out AFW?

Maybe it is a company working on a solution to exploding mystery bead blasters in employee parking lots and a quick fix for aircraft seats that come loose from coffee and soda spills.

With DL's increase in flying at DFW, maybe they will need it. :lol:
funny you should mention that.....

total capacity at DFW is up by about 4% in terms of seats.

Spirit accounts for about 60% of that increase, AA about 25%, and B6 and DL split the rest of the net increase.
There are obviously other carriers that have increased seats but FL left and UA and US have both reduced capacity.

In terms of total seats out of DFW, AA and AE still have 83% of all the seats out of DFW, about 60% of which are filled by connecting passengers. DL has 4% of the total seats with NK, UA, and US each with about 3%.

Note these numbers reflect the major marketing carrier and some of that capacity comes from regional carriers.

Perspective and knowing the competitive situation is always a good thing... even when you are doing well.

Nice. You segway the American Airlines AFW lease to Delta's traffic numbers...

I bet you can link any Kevin Bacon movie to a positive Delta Airlines spin in less than six degrees of separation.

no, the reply was in response to the remark about DL being a potential candidate to lease AFW.
You'll note that DL, while being the 2nd largest carrier at DFW, has 1/20th of the capacity that AA has.

DL is also adding far less capacity at DFW than AA or NK.

Note that the post is about capacity, not traffic.

Honestly, if you just block him, you NEVER have to read his drivel again. It will change your day and experience on here 100 fold!

Hmm...I wonder what company will take over? Maybe some MRO will take over and AA will get their plane overhualed there. Lol

http://www.star-tele...r-gigantic.html

You say that with the LOL. It will more than likely happen just the way you stated. As the article states AA will have a say so who will take over the lease, not the city of Fort Worth who owns it. AA still has the controlling domain of the 100 yr lease that they have never relinguished. I have stated it the day AA announced the closure of AFW. It will be just like the FBO up in Indy. Some 3rd party FBO vendor (rather american or from international) will move in, take over, and start maint on AA's birds with some of the very same mechanics that use to work there as AA employees. Some are forced to stay in the towns they live in due to family sitsuations. Some will take the work on a temp basis until other work can be found. I do believe your scenario will happen, and it was planned from the beginning. AA will do the exact same kind and type of maint and possibly even grow to other maint at AFW under a different name. Notice how all the inner operations are not leaving AFW. Usually when a company is closing an operation they will sell alot of objects to get the most of their money out of it. AA isn't selling anything from AFW, no tooling, not stands, no parts are leaving nothing. Why do you think they are not moving any of this stuff? Or at least why do you think they are not selling all of the inner operations? It is so that the new tenants will have stuff to work with. Hell, it could be owned by AMR still and operate under a new certificate, you guys watch and see what happens with the AFW facility, it will blow you away when the final setlement is all ironed out and AA is back in there doing the same maint. at a far less cost to AA. In other words, don't giggle at what you posted, it will more than likely happen just the way you posted in some form or fashion...

yet, you are still participating in the conversation. Blocking just drops you from the conversation, not me.

Jim was joking in his response... but the point remains that if AA has no need for maintenance facilities in N. Texas, it is doubtful that DL, UA, US, or NK will esp. since it has the disadvantage of requiring a ferry flight regardless of who operates it.

and, yes, swamt, it is precisely MROs that would be interested. And AA could well help them set up light housekeeping.

My ,my ,my! First MCIE, now AFW! ------- Do I see a pattern here?
Maybe. Maybe they are making room for another MRO like AAR or ATS. Or better yet AA will hold out and when they combine with US Air then AA can do the maintenance under the US Air banner. Cheaper contract maintenance but still be able to be in controll (like they like to do as it is now) because they are there. IDK, whatever happens at least there will be jobs in the N. Ft. Worth area still.

rifbound ------ Your talking as if the US/AA thing is a sure thing!? It may, or may not happen. At least that's what I understand, as of now. I think that the bottom line is, if a MRO should come in, the kind of deal an outside source could get on a lease, or sublease, on the property, could make or break a deal. And from what I've heard in the past. Let's just say, AA's not paying the same rate as TUL, or even what they were paying the City of Kansas City for MCIE!! ------ But than again that rate could be a lot lower than what AA' was paying just to keep jobs there! Time will tell! ------- Good news, you'll be making a lot less if an MRO should take over.----- Bad news, you'll have to find a new job elsewhere, if they don't!------ Tip, Seaborne Airlines is looking for some good AMT's in the Virgin Islands, if anyone is interested!

rifbound ------ Your talking as if the US/AA thing is a sure thing!? It may, or may not happen. At least that's what I understand, as of now. I think that the bottom line is, if a MRO should come in, the kind of deal an outside source could get on a lease, or sublease, on the property, could make or break a deal. And from what I've heard in the past. Let's just say, AA's not paying the same rate as TUL, or even what they were paying the City of Kansas City for MCIE!! ------ But than again that rate could be a lot lower than what AA' was paying just to keep jobs there! Time will tell! ------- Good news, you'll be making a lot less if an MRO should take over.----- Bad news, you'll have to find a new job elsewhere, if they don't!------ Tip, Seaborne Airlines is looking for some good AMT's in the Virgin Islands, if anyone is interested!
Ft. Worth will never give AA the type of deal TUL gave/gives them. AA promised to employ about 5000 people when they cut the deal for AFW. That never happened. The tax deal they got was only a 15 year deal to begin with and it was rumored that when that ran out AA was outta there. Of course they might try cut a deal now but Ft.Worth is kinda pissed at them so I doubt it will happen. I'm at DFW, for now anyway. I refuse to work for a sweat shop like a MRO. I've got something lined up already so I think it will all work out in the end. Only problem is if I move and try to sell the house it will be hard because of all the houses for sale now from people at AFW trying to sell their homes now. In my brother nieghborhood lone there's somewhere around 10 homes for sale and all are AA people. Being that I live fairly close to there that doen't help my home value any. I just hope eveyone pulls through all this BS when the dust settles.

The economics of adding airline owned maintenance capacity will be very tough to overcome the lower costs that can be obtained from foreign MROs.

Look back at the number of airline owned/operated maintenance facilities that have been closed over the past decade and the trend is clearly that each airline will operate one or perhaps two very large maintenance base with a couple medium/small supporting bases and then a few more hangars for non-scheduled work or work that can be quickly done in between normal airline schedules - esp. on international aircraft.

The unknown is whether AA will try to keep AFW for its "own use" but staffed at MRO costs or whether it will be completely disconnected from AA's operations.

The pulldown of AFW is certainly affected the N. Texas economy, esp. the Ft. Worth side which was smaller and of which AA employees made up a larger percentage.

How is the real estate market in Tulsa?

Back