AAL stock falling, worst sell off since Bankruptcy

MetalMover said:
Oh my God, WeAAsles, we better het that JCBA before the stock really plummets and AAL starts losing money.
The stock is still a long term good bet IMO. I've held and will continue to do so. It's still way undervalued and the market will eventually pick up on that fact.

SWA is doing exactly what was expected with the Wright restrictions removed. But AA will have to defend it's market share in the area and will put pressure on some profits.

WeAAsles said:
The stock is still a long term good bet IMO. I've held and will continue to do so. It's still way undervalued and the market will eventually pick up on that fact.

SWA is doing exactly what was expected with the Wright restrictions removed. But AA will have to defend it's market share in the area and will put pressure on some profits.
Which if it happens, will be long before we get a contract that you could be proud of.

MetalMover said:
Which if it happens, will be long before we get a contract that you could be proud of.
You mean yourself I suspect? I'll have one at the end of the year. You'll probably be in a nursing home drooling before your group agrees to anything?

WeAAsles said:
You mean yourself I suspect? I'll have one at the end of the year. You'll probably be in a nursing home drooling before your group agrees to anything?
That's fine with me...Better no deal than a bad deal.
But hey, I'll still be making more than you.

Reactions: 1 person
Analysts particularly noted their displeasure with WN's comments that they will grow as aggressively as they are regardless of the opportunities that exist at DAL. WN's system capacity growth is far in excess of what is needed to build out DAL.

Analysts also didn't like AA's predictable comment that it will be lowering prices where necessary to keep competitors - namely WN even if not mentioned - from taking capacity.

Thus the great Texas shootout is underway and the two Texas airlines each shed close to 10% of their value today.

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
Analysts particularly noted their displeasure with WN's comments that they will grow as aggressively as they are regardless of the opportunities that exist at DAL. WN's system capacity growth is far in excess of what is needed to build out DAL.

Analysts also didn't like AA's predictable comment that it will be lowering prices where necessary to keep competitors - namely WN even if not mentioned - from taking capacity.

Thus the great Texas shootout is underway and the two Texas airlines each shed close to 10% of their value today.
But if DL was still a larger player in DFW, they would win the shootout hands down.

Reactions: 6 people
Word on the Wall Street blogs is that profits will take a hit now that the Association powerhouse has been approved. JP Morgen analyst John Holmes said, "The combined might of the two most powerful labor unions in the U.S. airline industry signals a fundamental shift away from a drive towards greater outsourcing, lower wages, and a lack of defined benefit pension plans." TWU Local 591 President Peterson stated after announcement of the Association's approval, "Now we can put our top economist Robert Owens to work and shutdown Parker's America West style of management."

ChockJockey said:

How would you describe the "deal" you're currently stuck with?
Hmmm, let's see......5 holidays at TIME and A HALF... 5 sick days a year..........10 IOD days........$.01 shift differential for afts and $.02 for mids........No double time........outsourcing of more and more work.......Frozen pension....reitree medical terminated......bottom of industry pay.......
You have the same deal, No?    
But hey we were in BK and it was the best the TWU could do under the circumstances......

What do YOU think you are going to get back in JCBA that will make the past concession go away?

Reactions: 3 people
MetalMover said:
Hmmm, let's see......5 holidays at TIME and A HALF... 5 sick days a year..........10 IOD days........$.01 shift differential for afts and $.02 for mids........No double time........outsourcing of more and more work.......Frozen pension....reitree medical terminated......bottom of industry pay.......

Okay, but I thought you said earlier in the thread that it would be "fine by you" to never get a new one by the end of your career?

MetalMover said:
You have the same deal, No?    
But hey we were in BK and it was the best the TWU could do under the circumstances......

No, I have a different contract that was negotiated by the IAM and ratified last year.  Of course, the company wanted us to wait, waaaait for the JCBA process to unfold for a new one, and I've very glad we didn't.

MetalMover said:
What do YOU think you are going to get back in JCBA that will make the past concession go away?

I don't know, I've never been eternally traumatized by any past concessions since I've never been through an airline bankruptcy myself.  I'm interested to see what can be negotiated as a package in its entirety.  I don't agree with those who think the company has an interest in dragging out JCBA negotiations for as long as possible, there is too much impetus on their part to get this merger done; I also don't operate on assumptions or implied guarantees that everything will end in failure, stagnation, and disappointment.  That is to say, I don't let my bitterness get out in front of my view of the issue.

Given what this management team has achieved in the past few years and given how things have gone with the other workgroups so far I think there is some room for cautious optimism, for my workgroup anyway.  I accept that any JCBA is going to have things I don't like and lack things I would, but that's true of any TA really.

ChockJockey said:

Okay, but I thought you said earlier in the thread that it would be "fine by you" to never get a new one by the end of your career?

No, I have a different contract that was negotiated by the IAM and ratified last year.  Of course, the company wanted us to wait, waaaait for the JCBA process to unfold for a new one, and I've very glad we didn't.

I don't know, I've never been eternally traumatized by any past concessions since I've never been through an airline bankruptcy myself.  I'm interested to see what can be negotiated as a package in its entirety.  I don't agree with those who think the company has an interest in dragging out JCBA negotiations for as long as possible, there is too much impetus on their part to get this merger done; I also don't operate on assumptions or implied guarantees that everything will end in failure, stagnation, and disappointment.  That is to say, I don't let my bitterness get out in front of my view of the issue.

Given what this management team has achieved in the past few years and given how things have gone with the other workgroups so far I think there is some room for cautious optimism, for my workgroup anyway.  I accept that any JCBA is going to have things I don't like and lack things I would, but that's true of any TA really.

ChockJockey said:

Okay, but I thought you said earlier in the thread thates, NO DEAL is better than a BAD DEAL...this way they can't take more concessions from us,
 it would be "fine by you" to never get a new one by the end of your career?
Yes, NO deal is better than a BAD deal.....This way they can;t take more from us.

Just wait, they will want something in return for their generous offer.... Just ask the pilots and flight attendants.

Well, that is good for you...But many of us have done nothing but give back in various forms of concessions. 

All we have given back, there should be NO MORE concessions.. But there are those who believe that in order for us to GET, we still have to GIVE.