AA's operational performance already suffering?

I'm sure it is just a statistical fluke - no trends whatsoever - but AA is up to 75 cancellations and the operating day is not even half over.

Top 10 cancellations for -

Friday
Flights Airline 25 All Nippon 13 American Airlines 12 SAS 10 ANA Wings 9 Mesa 8 Jazz Air 8 United 7 Pinnacle 7 Japan Air Lines 6 Jetstar

Saturday
Flights Airline 79 Japan Transocean Air Co. 42 American Airlines 22 Japan Air Lines 20 Skymark 18 Jal Express 18 All Nippon 14 ANA Wings 9 SkyWest 8 AirTran 7 Shuttle America

Sunday
Flights Airline 148 Korean Air Lines Co. 88 American Airlines 56 SkyWest 19 Japan Transocean Air Co. 17 SAS 10 ANA Wings 9 All Nippon 8 Virgin 8 Air China 7 British Airways

* Stats provided by flightaware.com

• Banned
since this discussion forum doesn't focus much attention on the Japanese and Korean markets, I'm not sure anyone here cares what is going on over there.
What is significant is that none of AA's major competitors have so far cancelled more than 5 flights for Sunday and are reporting on-time figures 30-40 percent higher. Those numbers aren't that much different for the past several days.

• Banned
and BTW, there is a typhoon equipvalent to a category 3 hurricane marching thru Japan and Korea which explains the cancellations "over there"

More statistical flukes

AA - AIRLINE STATISTICS
CANCELLED FLIGHTS - 17SEP

OP CRW 46 47 3
MECH 52 53 3

TOTAL 98 100 6
END

and BTW, there is a typhoon equipvalent to a category 3 hurricane marching thru Japan and Korea which explains the cancellations "over there"

Horton might have had just a rainy day to deal with concerning the pilots. He chose a dramatic overreach and created his own Cat 5 Typhoon to deal with.

Already 16 flights pre-canceled for tomorrow, and 31 pre-canceled for Thursday.

Damn statistical flukes!!!

Terry Maxon wrote "But the number of late flights and cancellations appears to have spiked since Sept. 4, to the point that American said Monday it will reduce its schedule for the remainder of September and for all of October.
​
It blamed “a number of factors, including higher than expected pilot retirements and sick levels as well as an increase in unscheduled out-of-service aircraft.”

That's real interesting because the number of pilots that have retired over the last couple of months you can count on your hands, and post contract abrogation our sick use (according to management) is at a HISTORIC LOW.

Let's not let facts get in the way though.

Terry Maxon wrote "But the number of late flights and cancellations appears to have spiked since Sept. 4, to the point that American said Monday it will reduce its schedule for the remainder of September and for all of October.
​
It blamed “a number of factors, including higher than expected pilot retirements and sick levels as well as an increase in unscheduled out-of-service aircraft.”

That's real interesting because the number of pilots that have retired over the last couple of months you can count on your hands, and post contract abrogation our sick use (according to management) is at a HISTORIC LOW.
Let's not let facts get in the way though.

"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN"

Our employees understand the difficult situation this airline is in, and everyone involved supports this management team 100%. These are very hard times on all of us, and we understand that a few disagree with the tough choices we must make to be competetive and win this "game".

We will adjust our scheduled to insure the numbers reported look more like a team working together.

No employee group can be upset enough to railroad our latest plan of union busting. We will emerge as a stand alone carrier with a $3 billion annual cost advantage over the competition.... At least until they go through another Chapter 11 once again.

That man behind the curtain is not real, does not exist, and we will make adjustements so that is reflected in the numbers used to measure our team's success. Within a week or two, we will provide charts and graphs that show how great we can be at running this business in this most difficult time. We appreciate those employees that appreciate our version of the facts and reject the the man behind the curtain.

Nope, it's pretty clear there's a group of employees with a "burn the place down" type attitude who have decided that it's time to take hostages in their battle.

Go ahead and blame management for whatever they've done to you, but the moment you start using customers as leverage, you lose all sympathy from me.

Worse, you've lost my business.

I booked a trip late last week in business class to Europe. I'm now rebooked on LH instead.

Why? If you can't be bothered to be professionals, you don't need my business.

So please, do a little victory dance if you want. But to be clear, it's not a victory. AA can't afford to be losing a single customer right now. UA's operation seems to be back under control.

Trust me, it's no loss to me -- I'll still get where I need to be, and I'll still earn miles. Just not with AA.

Same thing for other customers. You'll piss a few off who didn't know any better, but I'm not the only one re-evaluating whether to rebook AA or not.

When the schedule gets cut back, the only ones you're punishing are your co-workers. It's not a loss to management -- their paychecks don't shrink as the airline shrinks, and you can't punish their stock options.

Maybe one of you can explain what is it you're hoping to accomplish by devaluing the brand. Are you hoping that management will simply give up, and hand the keys to Doug Parker?

If that's the plan, God help all of you, because you're gonna need it.

Back