Aircraft maint issues

but now what a second, that sounds like trying to protect the seniority at DWH? is that whats happening?
No, just a fact. The work we have can not support the headcount at current levels.

How did you get such a broken system? I'm guessing sometime in the past, it was voted in. Category seniority should rule system wide. That is the only fair and proper way IMO.
the juniority system has always been in place at AA. first you have to understand the unions role in layoffs, it is to discourage layoffs and the disruption of members lives. there are two ways of accomplishing that, economically or thru chaos or disruption. economically it USED to be that when there where layoffs at aa the employee affected would get $11.500 plus up to $8,500 in moving expenses.if the sums are not correct they were significant, in fact there were many discussions of gee i hope i get that windfall. the trade off was that layoffs were done in a juniority method.for example if a hundred people were getting layed off and there were 20 openings system wide then the bottom 80 people system wide were exposed to the layoffs so by seniority you choose your spots.
where it gets fucked up is when the international, and people like david viirlla get involved and wave the payments or like the case in miami when there were 20 members exposed to he layoffs, 20 people bumped in then the company was allowed to keep the 20 in Miami. that was done im sure with the internationals blessing. so when the system was used FOR OTHER PEOPLE it was ok, now that there are many more involved its a different story.
NOW AS FAR AS A ONE STATION AGREEMENT with afw and dfw, when the motion was made at afw i remember matt lorenzi standing at the front of the union meeting and everyone screaming they wanted a one station agreement and matt lorenzi said something to the affect "brothers you dont want that, those guys at dfw will come over here and take your jobs!" then the crowds were silenced and it was decided no one station agreement. as a matter of fact i was at that meeting and remember it well.

not that we have very many actual union members, most really couldnt give a **** about any one but themselves and would probably sell their mothe for 4 hours of o.t... im not defending the system just stating the facts, twist them as you may....

Sorry, I never worked at AFW/TAESL so I didn't experience it first hand. Just repeating what I hear from guys that did.
red circle used to be provision where if the company felt there was a shop where they could not afford to lose the talent or the talent was "specialized" i think they referred to it as something like section 8 work or something like that. the intent was to preserve specialized talent for some reason i think aluminum welders were considered in that line of work. it was not intended to "keep out seniority" but was again corrupted by the local union or international or if you did not have the skill set you claimed to be "kept out" because if you were in that position to bump in you had the seniority but no skill. if i remember correctly the floorboard shop was "red circled" at one time at afw. and probably most of tulsa.....

the juniority system has always been in place at AA. first you have to understand the unions role in layoffs, it is to discourage layoffs and the disruption of members lives. there are two ways of accomplishing that, economically or thru chaos or disruption. economically it USED to be that when there where layoffs at aa the employee affected would get $11.500 plus up to $8,500 in moving expenses.if the sums are not correct they were significant, in fact there were many discussions of gee i hope i get that windfall. the trade off was that layoffs were done in a juniority method.for example if a hundred people were getting layed off and there were 20 openings system wide then the bottom 80 people system wide were exposed to the layoffs so by seniority you choose your spots.
where it gets fucked up is when the international, and people like david viirlla get involved and wave the payments or like the case in miami when there were 20 members exposed to he layoffs, 20 people bumped in then the company was allowed to keep the 20 in Miami. that was done im sure with the internationals blessing. so when the system was used FOR OTHER PEOPLE it was ok, now that there are many more involved its a different story.
NOW AS FAR AS A ONE STATION AGREEMENT with afw and dfw, when the motion was made at afw i remember matt lorenzi standing at the front of the union meeting and everyone screaming they wanted a one station agreement and matt lorenzi said something to the affect "brothers you dont want that, those guys at dfw will come over here and take your jobs!" then the crowds were silenced and it was decided no one station agreement. as a matter of fact i was at that meeting and remember it well.

not that we have very many actual union members, most really couldnt give a **** about any one but themselves and would probably sell their mothe for 4 hours of o.t... im not defending the system just stating the facts, twist them as you may....

I do recall DFW being open to the one station agreement with AFW, i wasnt there like yourself but i have heard the same thing about Matt and the AFW guys turning it down. I guess they rolled the dice and lost.

If there was any place that made sense to have a one station it would be DWH because they are overhaul and more or less took the place of AFW.

I do recall DFW being open to the one station agreement with AFW, i wasnt there like yourself but i have heard the same thing about Matt and the AFW guys turning it down. I guess they rolled the dice and lost.

If there was any place that made sense to have a one station it would be DWH because they are overhaul and more or less took the place of AFW.

It will be interesting to see how the DFW/DWH dynamic plays out in the eventual JCBA. I can see 3 possible scenarios
1.Status quo
2. A one station agreement
3. Combining the two into one station.

Just my swag so who knows. What are the feelings of a yearly cross over type bid between DFW/DWH? I`m just tossing it out there. I imagine GP and most of DFW would be opposed to anything other than option 1. He has done a great job at protecting DFW. How many guys did DFW take when TAESL closed? I`m still trying to figure out how DWH went from zero vacancies to 106 overnight.

i was at afw from the beginning, yup used to like wasting my time going to the bubba meetings at the holiday inn, roanoke, round the corner from the titty bar.the biggest draw to the juniority system was the $11,500 payout. we lost that in bankruptcy. local 514 was NOTORIOUS for protecting themselves and cutting deals.

i was at afw from the beginning, yup used to like wasting my time going to the bubba meetings at the holiday inn, roanoke, round the corner from the titty bar.the biggest draw to the juniority system was the $11,500 payout. we lost that in bankruptcy. local 514 was NOTORIOUS for protecting themselves and cutting deals.
That's the reason right there every time your membership, thinks about bringing another union in, it gets squashed. The Association and AA management will see, AMFA or whoever your own in house union lose. Now I see why AMFA only got 8 votes last time. People want the status quo.

DWH needs to take these people in, but instead DWH keeps taking the DFW positions and then doesnt backfill.

We were told by management that we are overmanned. They are taking work away and giving it to Tulsa to keep their headcount up. They took our 777 gear changes to Tulsa where 7aa took twice as long to do than we could as an example.

Ah, the juniority system. Trying to explain it to some of my coworkers is like speaking Chinese. They just don't get it. And to think it could be coming our way.

But then again, who knows? With the lack of information over the last few years of negotiations, and that being the IAM way of negotiating, I guess we will all find out when they release the "bullet point list" within the next few years.

Welcome to the IAM, BTW.

We were told at our union meeting that we are going the usair way of bumping. Who knows the truth.

Never said line guys had not been exposed. Now how do you suppose a DFW guy with 1990 seniority would feel getting bumped to LAX. While a DWH guy with 1999 seniority stayed put, unaffected. My point being our system is broken. It in no way benefits or considers the affected members seniority.

DFW was overmanned before the closure of AFW; and yet, somehow more AMTs started showing up from AFW and DWH. Talk about special deals being cut. So if there is some sort of headcount reduction in the future that affects DFW, I would imagine the low seniority guys at DFW with 20 years or so, having spent their entire career at DFW - are being displaced by guys who got the special AFW/DWH deal. I had to follow the juniority openings when I was affected years ago. Special deals are only good for the individuals getting the special deal.