Aircraft maint issues

Word out of Negotiations is the company isn't coming off their offer from 6 months ago. They think 5 weeks of vacation is industry leading while UAL is sitting at 7 weeks. The company thinks 5 holidays at time and one half is industry leading. The company thinks earning 5 sick days per year is industry leading. Oddly enough, the company is okay with restoring full pay for the first day. For the guys who like to work doubles, now the company only wants to pay for 15.5 hours instead of 16. This info needs to be put paper, and distributed.

I would venture a guess and say that the company will not move on these issues unless they get what they want on scope.
I have said it before and I will say it again.......We will not get an ILC until we agree to operate like DL and UA/CO with respect to scope..
JMHO.

Last edited:
More maint work going to Miami, even with losing 14 taxi/tow positions to the ramp, AA is still transferring 17 heads to Miami.

Too bad DFW didn't get that work, some texans could have made it home. I'm thinking DFW has the worst management team in the airline industry. DFW a place with a lot of experienced AMTs, abundance of hangar space, with the logistics all right there, it shows what a competent management team can do and what a incompetent management team can't do, and what the executives will do to get the work accomplished.

Thanks Gary (and hog), my crow was a little under cooked, but I ate it just the same. Some of us can do that instead of deflecting with a toy box they must continually reach into....

Found this floating on Social Media out there with the 514 Header. I don’t know anything about it personally but I thought I’d share it as something for you guys to talk about.

A88D1383-520E-4BE3-BEA4-FE1158B86A75.jpeg

After all blue collar does not lend itself well to 100K+ dollar student debts.

These are the estimated prices for an A&P course study at a tech school in my area. They have an (donated) MD80 aircraft at the school for the students to study and learn from as well as many other aircraft. (I will let you guess who donated it)

Airframe

Estimated Tuition, Lab & Required Fees: $5,600.00
Additional Required Costs: $2906.90**

Powerplant

Estimated Tuition Fees: $5,600.00
Additional Required Costs: $2810.50**

Total of $16917.40 investment for a what..... just under 100K a year with full benefits.

An A&P is starting to look like a better and better deal all of the time.

These are the estimated prices for an A&P course study at a tech school in my area. They have an (donated) MD80 aircraft at the school for the students to study and learn from as well as many other aircraft. (I will let you guess who donated it)

Airframe

Powerplant

Total of $16917.40 investment for a what..... just under 100K a year with full benefits.

And that is on the low side. There are many A&P's who attended college to get a degree as well as their licenses. Considering the cost per credit, your figures could easily quadruple.

And that is on the low side. There are many A&P's who attended college to get a degree as well as their licenses. Considering the cost per credit, your figures could easily quadruple.
I assume you mean the tuition cost could quadruple and not the earnings potential?

Is that what you meant?

Last edited:

591 update
A better update. Too bad to hear this. The asso. as well as the co. promised industry leading contract. ILC means leads in all areas as Gary is full aware in this video. NOT just a little here and there.

Airframe

Powerplant

I can only assume you are using a community college as an example as that would be the very low end as you stated. I do know in the Dallas area, at AIM, the last tuition I heard from one of our own going thru it was 34-35K. The community college is the best route as far a saving bucks in the long run, but I also think they are longer time frame for when you get your lic in hands but not positive.
I tend to also agree that the A&P route does look more repaid for cost. I know of parents spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for their kids to complete 4 years, and I also know of kids financing it themselves and having massive student loan debt when they get out.

I would venture a guess and say that the company will not move on these issues unless they get what they want on scope.
I have said it before and I will say it again.......We will not get an ILC until we agree to operate like DL and UA/CO with respect to scope..
JMHO.
Same,here at SWA, that's what is taking so long, we will get are pay, there will be scope changes, Our union AMFA realizes this, and people will not wait forever. In reality from a business standpoint all Airlines will operate this way.

I can only assume you are using a community college as an example as that would be the very low end as you stated. I do know in the Dallas area, at AIM, the last tuition I heard from one of our own going thru it was 34-35K. The community college is the best route as far a saving bucks in the long run, but I also think they are longer time frame for when you get your lic in hands but not positive.
I tend to also agree that the A&P route does look more repaid for cost. I know of parents spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for their kids to complete 4 years, and I also know of kids financing it themselves and having massive student loan debt when they get out.
No it's not a community college (though we have that option as well) it is a tech school. They have the time listed as 11 months for both A and P (22 total) however, it is hard to estimate the actual time it would take to get an A&P as they are offered as a complete class and offer some redundant classes (Generals I and II are shared between the 2 and would only have to be taken once ). Keep in mind since they offer redundant classes the cost I gave you would actually be significantly lower than the $16917.40. The school is accredited by the state of Oklahoma and classes are transferable as college credit if so desired.

I know you think of it as low end tuition wise but I do wish you would use different phrasing as that has some negative connotations to it. Believe me the school is extremely nice. I know this from first hand experience.

This is the schools hanger. Look how clean it is.

Aviation_Instructors_720.png

The school is connected to a small airport.

kh

8925.jpg

14187884_BG5.jpg

If they are paying 34-35K for AIM they are getting screwed. Sounds like Spartan here in Tulsa.

Last edited: