Aircraft maint issues

It’s been said before, AA is in the airline business, not the MRO business. According to Parker.

Look at the labor cost of an airline mechanic as opposed to a MRO mechanic, there’s a significant difference. That’s just the differences that you learn in an aviation management course. Now think what you learn from the AFW/TAESL mechs around the system. None of that info is, we were so efficient. It’s more in the ways of, we choked every last golden egg out of that chicken.

The more valuable you make yourself the more leverage you have. The less valuable you make yourself the less leverage you have. Mechanics doing non core jobs always makes mechanics less valuable and puts jobs at risk. Having mechanics do things like in the past such as wing walkers (at Eastern Airlines), tug drivers (at many Airlines) only cost jobs in the end, even a whole host of back shop, facilities or MRO type work. The idea that your saving jobs is a crock and is only temporary and will make whatever future reductions much worse.

It’s been said before, AA is in the airline business, not the MRO business. According to Parker.

Look at the labor cost of an airline mechanic as opposed to a MRO mechanic, there’s a significant difference. That’s just the differences that you learn in an aviation management course. Now think what you learn from the AFW/TAESL mechs around the system. None of that info is, we were so efficient. It’s more in the ways of, we choked every last golden egg out of that chicken.
Tell me about it. Now that we are voting everything was we need scope. Well the company finally gave us scope. Suddenly our Union says it's about economics. We need to be the highest paid because we are so productive. We have to have a 21 page task card to make sure we open a crew O2 bottle on a 737, which is all we have. We still have problems with people not checking effectively of parts. Some people thought we needed a contract before the FAA gives us ETOPS. ETOPS will be a whole new ball game, for guys getting LOIs from the Feds.

SafetyComm2008.jpg

Mechanical Discrepancy: Put It in the Book, Then Call It In
All of us appreciate having an aircraft that is mechanically sound when we show up at the gate. A trend has been identified where pilots are not entering mechanical discrepancies in the Aircraft Maintenance Log (AML) until after they have conferred with an Aircraft Maintenance Technician (AMT).

APA has been advised of circumstances where radio communications have suggested not entering a discrepancy.

If a mechanical discrepancy is discovered – whether on the ground or in the air, during pre-flight, cruise, post-flight or through-flight – FAR 121.563 and Flight Manual Part 1, Section 5.3, paragraph 5.3.1.B are quite clear:

All discrepancies discovered by the Flight Crew shall be entered in the AML. The Captain is responsible for all Flight Crewmember entries into the AML. The Captain may delegate writing entries in the AML, but no entry may be made without the Captain’s prior knowledge and approval.

FAR 121.563

121.563 Reporting mechanical irregularities.

The pilot in command shall ensure that all mechanical irregularities occurring during flight time are entered in the maintenance log of the airplane at the end of that flight time. Before each flight the pilot in command shall ascertain the status of each irregularity entered in the log at the end of the preceding flight.

Please ensure you follow the FARs and FM Part 1 explicitly. It is the responsibility of each of us to ensure safe operation of our aircraft. The AMTs cannot fix what is not written and documented in the AML.

Thanks for your professionalism and expertise.

You might want to notify the guys in the JT-8 shop that have been working 12 hour days on engine overhauls that they aren't doing them anymore.

Heavy overhaul EHM's and I already have spoken to a few of them. I use to work with quite a few of them.
They may be performing other work and I am just repeating what I Heard.

Heavy overhaul EHM's and I already have spoken to a few of them. I use to work with quite a few of them.
They may be performing other work and I am just repeating what I Heard.
You are correct in that they are not doing EHMs. They are doing what they call Programs. Not much difference between the two.

You are correct in that they are not doing EHMs. They are doing what they call Programs. Not much difference between the two.
I have done "Programs" When the Baby JT-8's for the 727 had their day our Programs was to Pickle them and make them ready to return to the bank or sell them if they owned them. Is the Program different today?

I have done "Programs" When the Baby JT-8's for the 727 had their day our Programs was to Pickle them and make them ready to return to the bank or sell them if they owned them. Is the Program different today?
Must be different now. We are sending overhauled fuel nozzles for the hot sections so they are tearing them down and building back up. Starting a few years ago they were putting either low time or overhauled fuel controls and fuel pumps in them too so definately not pickling them. We have heard they'll be going like gangbusters in the shop for a few more months. I think they might be setting up good spare engines and when they have what they want they'll just shut down the JT-8 shop so even though they are working lots of O.T. it won't be for very long. My guess is the end of the year or the end of first quarter next year but that is just a guess.

Must be different now. We are sending overhauled fuel nozzles for the hot sections so they are tearing them down and building back up. Starting a few years ago they were putting either low time or overhauled fuel controls and fuel pumps in them too so definately not pickling them. We have heard they'll be going like gangbusters in the shop for a few more months. I think they might be setting up good spare engines and when they have what they want they'll just shut down the JT-8 shop so even though they are working lots of O.T. it won't be for very long. My guess is the end of the year or the end of first quarter next year but that is just a guess.

If the Fuel Flow Transmitter from the Baby JT-8's are an indication you have to remove all of the fuel and put a 10 weight oil is them for transport and storage.
Programs are used to return engines, parts or even aircraft to the Lessors..

SafetyComm2008.jpg

Mechanical Discrepancy: Put It in the Book, Then Call It In
All of us appreciate having an aircraft that is mechanically sound when we show up at the gate. A trend has been identified where pilots are not entering mechanical discrepancies in the Aircraft Maintenance Log (AML) until after they have conferred with an Aircraft Maintenance Technician (AMT).

APA has been advised of circumstances where radio communications have suggested not entering a discrepancy.

If a mechanical discrepancy is discovered – whether on the ground or in the air, during pre-flight, cruise, post-flight or through-flight – FAR 121.563 and Flight Manual Part 1, Section 5.3, paragraph 5.3.1.B are quite clear:

All discrepancies discovered by the Flight Crew shall be entered in the AML. The Captain is responsible for all Flight Crewmember entries into the AML. The Captain may delegate writing entries in the AML, but no entry may be made without the Captain’s prior knowledge and approval.

FAR 121.563

121.563 Reporting mechanical irregularities.

The pilot in command shall ensure that all mechanical irregularities occurring during flight time are entered in the maintenance log of the airplane at the end of that flight time. Before each flight the pilot in command shall ascertain the status of each irregularity entered in the log at the end of the preceding flight.

Please ensure you follow the FARs and FM Part 1 explicitly. It is the responsibility of each of us to ensure safe operation of our aircraft. The AMTs cannot fix what is not written and documented in the AML.

Thanks for your professionalism and expertise.

You mean, they HAVEN'T been putting it in the book and calling it in???
For shame!

I simply love the "by the book" campaigns unions start when negotiations don't go so well...
I guess unions are admitting they don't go by the book when things are good contractually?????

If the Fuel Flow Transmitter from the Baby JT-8's are an indication you have to remove all of the fuel and put a 10 weight oil is them for transport and storage.
Programs are used to return engines, parts or even aircraft to the Lessors..
Yeah who knows what they're doing but I doubt they'd be putting overhauled parts into them. I see what I can find out.

Latest posts

Back