Aircraft maint issues

I don't think they can just arbitrarily change scope mid contract by moving current and historical work to another work group. I would also think that since we are all in the same union that the T3 leadership would be against the migration of higher paying T1 jobs to lower paying T3 jobs. To me that should be a given and if its not,, then maybe its a "Houston we have a problem" moment?
That’s a good point, but I don’t think that aircraft movement is part of an AMT scope as FSCs do aircraft movements at small stations.

Would ramp doing aircraft movements be considered outsourcing by AA and the union as we are all part of the same association with a contract negotiated together with ramp and all other ground employees?

I think why we do aircraft movements at big stations is because we are more efficient at it, I wouldn’t be concerned with losing it because it doesn’t seem like AA has been too successful at hiring and retaining FSCs. Why would you work for AA when they can work at any other airline with a much better contract. It’s like mechs in the 90s we had our choice, or an OH AMT living in OKC they have several options to choose from.

Last edited:
I watch the video from the union and realize more and more the Association has no power. This gentleman has no clue on whether there will be a vote one day or the international will vote for us. I do not trust our leaders and know now that it will be a long time before we get a contract. The mediator are pro company. I hope one day the A&P mechanics will be in one Union.

Section 4 of the Constitution of the Association

Section 4.jpg

I don't think they can just arbitrarily change scope mid contract by moving current and historical work to another work group. I would also think that since we are all in the same union that the T3 leadership would be against the migration of higher paying T1 jobs to lower paying T3 jobs. To me that should be a given and if its not,, then maybe its a "Houston we have a problem" moment?

Article 28b ( Mechanics Agreement )

(b) The Union recognizes that the Company will have sole jurisdiction of the management and operation of its business, the direction of its working force, the right to maintain discipline and efficiency in its hangars, stations, shops, or other places of employment, and the right of the Company to hire, discipline, and discharge employees for just cause, subject to the provisions of this Agreement. It is agreed that the rights enumerated in this Article will not be deemed to exclude other preexisting rights of management not enumerated which do not conflict with other provisions of this Agreement.

Work that has been ours over the course of many negotiations and ratifications whether specifically annunciated in the contract or not fall under past practices which becomes essentially part of the agreement. Now, if the company were to arbitrarily move work, the union has a responsibility to argue that movement as being a violation of the agreement. It would remain to be seen if this representative could successfully make such an argument to a third party.

Work that has been ours over the course of many negotiations and ratifications whether specifically annunciated in the contract or not fall under past practices which becomes essentially part of the agreement. Now, if the company were to arbitrarily move work, the union has a responsibility to argue that movement as being a violation of the agreement. It would remain to be seen if this representative could successfully make such an argument to a third party.

When Aircraft movement was transferred back to Maintenance some years back the MIA Local Fleet President at the time put in a 29D and argued past practice. He obviously lost that grievance.

I’m not sure if other Presidents were supporting that grievance at the time although it is the responsibility of those representatives to do so even if we are both in the same Union.

I understand but part of past practice has been for the union to make deals and adjusts to allow for conditions in trade for more employees.

Section 4 of the Constitution of the Association

View attachment 13429

I did not realize how long it has been. 2013 asso. was formed. So it's been 5 years so far since the asso. was brought in and still no contract? Now they are just starting mediation and will more than likely go for 2-3 more years? Wow! About the exact same time frame as us.
How long have you guys really been in nego's? 3 or 4 years now? Or is it 5 years?

I did not realize how long it has been. 2013 asso. was formed. So it's been 5 years so far since the asso. was brought in and still no contract? Now they are just starting mediation and will more than likely go for 2-3 more years? Wow! About the exact same time frame as us.
How long have you guys really been in nego's? 3 or 4 years now? Or is it 5 years?
And you should talk and throw stones the mighty AMFA at SWA six years plus, no successful ratified contract!! :)

Of course it does!

So, how would you compare AMFA to the TWU or IAM?
I would say about the same, the only reason AMFA has the perks at SWA, is we never went bankrupt, like American. Northwest went bankrupt with AMFA and they were decimated. So your union only gets you, what it can successfully negotiate.

Latest posts